Manjaro kernel upgrade & wireless drivers

Hi
I have been using since 1 year. since i do regulary update. my wireless card was not in Kernel yeyt at time RealTek 8852AE. I was using a package rtw89-dkms-git or sometimes upstream repo rtw89 if there are problems with the packagigng

but since kernel 5.16 , rhat package is in the kernel. and there are recent update that did not work. I ask the maintainer he tested for 5.15 kernel and if the kernel is not modified .

I was wondering how come I still have kernel 5.15.133-1 . The maintainer told me that Manjaro is using 6.x kernel. I know it is possible to use different kernel but dont know how messy it will be or just install the one that are listed in Manjaro Setting app.
Do i need anythng extra like linux-firmware as well or the app takes care of it. the reason is my problems with wifi card will solved since the hernel will have it.

And also although I am updating kernel does not progress as other stuff. I am on rolling version. I believe :slight_smile:

I’m not sure I understand all this … but I’m not sure it matters … moving on …

You have the linux515 series installed. Its an LTS and still getting updates. What else are you expecting to happen?

http://packages.manjaro.org/linux515

What maintainer?
Manjaro provides pretty much all currently living kernels.

kernel.org

Its a different kernel with different kernel packages. Otherwise they get updates and are handled by the package manager the same.
Maybe you should take some time to familiarize yourself with the wiki.

:spoon::spoon: ;

Make sure you are up to date:

sudo pacman -Syu

Install a kernel:

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux61

Then reboot and select the kernel from grub at boot.

PS

Again I’m not sure what you mean. There is only rolling manjaro.

1 Like

I installed the standart Manjaro when I first installed. I did not install 5.15 lts intentionally

I was told it was rolling release. but looks like current version of install is on kernel 6.5 if I did not misunderstand ?

My problem my wifi hardware is now in linux kernel starting from 5.16 but somehow I am stuck in 5.15 therefore I was using an Aur package.

Again i did not install lts intentionaliy .

I tought Manjaro is a rolling release not lts. I am not complaining. just asking a clean way to change the kernel or if I am doing anythng wrong. I

Just asking to a clean way to upgrade my kernel Basically and get rid of the lts ?
Which one i should use what is the current version kernel if I install Manjaro today ?
salim

then enable grub menu on boot
see GRUB Menu Not Showing On Boot, Boots into Default Kernel Instead - #4 by stephane

after you can add any kernel ( be careful on arch motherboard and minimum version required )
you will need internet ,
boot on kernel 5.15 , and add others kernels

sudo mhwd-kernel -li
ls /etc/mkinitcpio.d/*.preset
ls /boot/*
ls /lib/modules/*
sudo pacman -Syy
sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux56
sudo pacman -S linux515-headers
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux65
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux66

do not keep EOL kernels you will keep EOL modules

2 Likes

seems quite tricky . Do i need to enable Grub permenant or one time only ? I only want kernel that is updated as we go and current . Do i need all those kernels you listed ? Maybe shall i just reinstall with a clean install

Just install 6.1 as @cscs suggested

Then reboot holding Shift key. It will show GRUB menu, where you select kernel 6.1. Do not forget to remove rtw89-dkms-git

1 Like

thank you

can İ remove the linux 5.15 ? Safe to do so ?

Of course you can

sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux515
1 Like

You can remove any kernel you’re not actually running - I always keep the latest LTS release which works (for fallback), and the ‘current’ release which I am running.

2 Likes

thnk so İ will install 6.5 and 6.1 is lts I guess. Once those work with no problem remove with mhwd again or just with pacman ?
Never mind it is answered here so use both mhwd for kernel and pacman for headers
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Manjaro_Kernels#Removing_Kernels
Now I am clear why my kernel was always around 5.15 . Hopefully that adding kernel thng will go clean ; worst case I reinstall clean. because I have VirtualBox so that has modules . I need to swap it with the new modules.

One unrelated question I dont want to open a question. How do I map my Capslock to Escape. i did it on my desktop cause it was easy with Hyprland. but I looked at wiki internet ; nothng worked with Gnome :slight_smile: Anyone knows ???

Hi Salimp,

Allow me to clarify a misunderstanding:

• The 6.1 kernel (for example) is LTS.
  • Manjaro Linux is a rolling release (not LTS).

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.