Manjaro keeps randomly crashing on a fresh installation

Welcome to the forum! :vulcan_salute:

What exactly are the symptoms of what you call “a crash”? That’s a very vague term that could mean just about anything — and it often does.

Can you still toggle the NumLock key when it “crashes”? Also, your CPU temperature appears to be a bit on the high side, which could indicate either a hardware problem — i.e. inadequate cooling — or simply a stuck process.

I also notice that you’re running Plasma on Wayland. Have you tried running on X11 instead?

Lastly, I would advise you to try a different kernel. You’re running 6.4, which is still bleeding edge. Try the 6.1 LTS kernel instead. It’s already quite mature and it’s still supported until at least December 2026 — it’s a long-term-support kernel, hence the LTS moniker.

Note: After installing the new kernel, you’ll need to select it at the GRUB boot menu. :arrow_down:

Advanced Options for Manjaro Linux → Linux 6.1

With 16 GiB of RAM and less than 3 GiB in use, that’s not really necessary. I also have 16 GiB and I too run without swap here. Even with lots of stuff open — including chromium — I’m still only hitting 3.2 GiB of RAM usage. :wink:

Hi and welcome to the Forum :+1:

One difference between Linux and Windows you need to understand is that Linux doesn’t give any BSOD due to usage of some applications…
You might think your OS has crashed while in fact it is still running perfectly fine under the hood, it’s just your application that can crash and give that impression.

So think 10x before even thinking of going back to Micro$@$ :rofl:

If you use video intensive application it might over heat your Laptop which might cause your graphics driver to become non-responsive because your GPU shutdown due to the overheating.

How is this a Fresh install? :thinking:

1 Like

@Aragorn no num lock lights show when i get the crashes it use to work when i press alt+ tab but now nothing at all

how do i activate X11 ?

i will switch kernels and let you know whay happens :slight_smile:

im gonna do a little maintenance on this laptop during the weekend cause i need to replace the keyboard on here " though on windows i never use to have this issue with high cpu

will update on the kernel switch out :slight_smile:

Don’t use the rt kernels. Try another one.

2 Likes

i recently changed kernal’s been using manjaro for a few days now so like i said before this is a new install of manjaro os lol

That is not what I meant. If you can still switch NumLock on and off, then the kernel is still alive, and then whatever crashes is something at a higher level — possibly Plasma or just your browser.

That sounds like Plasma, but it is possible that you may have to wait longer due to a stuck process. If there’s a process consuming all of your CPU cycles, then what you’ve got is a local denial-of-service, and then the system needs (a lot more) time to process the Alt+Tab.

It should be available as an option on the login screen.

There is currently a kernel bug that appears to consume 100% CPU load, but that’s only a cosmetic bug. In reality, it all still works fine. Your CPU temperature on the other hand is a better indicator.

I was going to say that next. :wink:

Don’t use an -rt kernel unless you know what you’re doing. Those kernels have special patches for real-time responsiveness, which is often a demand among people who do professional audio and/or video processing.

If you’re not one of those people, use a regular kernel, and preferably one of the still supported LTS kernels, i.e.:

so i’ve done that and also can i change kernals by just removing the one i currently have ?

os still crashes though

You can change kernels by using your menu in your bootloader, IF you have multiple kernels installed…
Both Grub and systemd-boot have this menu you can display by holding a key if they are not shown at machine boot.

Be careful NOT to remove your current kernel before you install another :rofl:

You can remove it after you’ve booted with another kernel first. So, you first have to install a new kernel — I recommend one of the LTS kernels that I’ve listed higher up — and then reboot with that new kernel, and only then you can remove the old one, like so… :arrow_down:

sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux64-rt

This isn’t even possible anymore these days. mhwd-kernel will throw a warning if you try. :wink:

Meh warnings are for mortals :rofl:

hey guys ok so it seems to be kde plasma causing the havoc i switched over to manjaro xfce and it’s been behaving fine for now lol

to bad though i really loved the kde plasma look :frowning:

i’ve been using the laptop for awhile after installation and updates yesterday and like no crashes etc as yet

As it just so happens to be, I have had a couple of serious issues myself with Plasma only a few days ago, and it took me until yesterday to — with the help of several forum members — hunt down the cause and remedy the problems.

If you’re having stability problems with Plasma itself — and as you can read on the thread linked above, it does unfortunately occasionally happen — then the cause is most likely something in your home directory.

In many cases, it’s the use of an old and buggy theme that’s no longer compatible with the recent Plasma versions. In my case, it was most likely caused by a couple of corrupted configuration files as the result of a glitch while changing a few settings, and yes, even one single corrupted configuration file can do this, because the way Plasma is written, it is very sensitive to that.

Either way, the problem is most likely caused by something in your home directory — a corrupted configuration file or database, a broken theme, et al — and thus, it can be fixed, even if it means having to delete your Plasma configuration files and starting all over again from the template in /etc/skel.

Still, if you would prefer to stick with XFCE, then that is of course your prerogative. Overall, Plasma is pretty good, but its occasional quirks have driven people away from it before, and XFCE is a pretty robust environment with a decent reputation, even though it’s not my personal style. :wink:

i was looking for a way to reset plasma lol most of the stuff i was reading said you had to to reinstall in order to do a reset so i was like f*ck it moving on to xcfe if i had to reinstall all over again

though i think it might of been a theme issue since i did install some custom themes but even before that it did crash at least once while i was setting up a few extra software like brave during the installation process

No no no no, reinstalling is absolutely unnecessary. That’s Microsoft-think. UNIX systems don’t work that way.

In UNIX, the software is installed system-wide and comes with a set of default configuration files that define the system-wide settings. These system-wide configuration files are all located under /etc somewhere. On the other hand, user accounts have their own settings, which are stored in their home directory only.

Unlike in that monstrosity called Windows, UNIX does not use any Registry. So the configuration is always truly split between system-wide and user-specific. :wink:

Hey guys got a question is there a way i can sudo install xrdp ? i’ve tried downloading freexrdp-x11 but it keeps failing im trying to rdp in to a vm i set up

i’ve tried sudo packman -s freexrdp-x11 packages doesn’t exist also via software centre the installation fails

That command isn’t valid on Manjaro. At least not by default. Do yourself a favour and learrn to use and understand the package management:

Pamac (Add/Remove Software) is Manjaro’s Package Manager. It is based on libalpm with AUR and Appstream support. It focuses on providing an easy to use interface while still providing a powerful set of features.

That said, xrdp is in the AUR:

$ pamac search xrdp
[...]
xrdp                                                                                                                                                                                                                          0.9.22.1-1               AUR
An open source remote desktop protocol (RDP) server

So it can easily be installed using:

pamac build xrdp

Also, please don’t use an older topic for a new question, even if it is your topic originally. Please see:

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/strict-forum-rules-and-guidelines/13680/7

and

That would be sudo pacman -S, add a lowercase s to search.

$ pacman -Ss rdp                                                                                                                                        
extra/freerdp 2:2.10.0-4
    Free implementation of the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)
extra/genxrdpattern 1.1-3
    Uses ObjCryst++ to generate a theoretical XRD pattern
extra/libwpd 0.10.3-4 [installed]
    Library for importing WordPerfect (tm) documents
extra/libwpg 0.3.4-1 [installed]
    Library for importing and converting Corel WordPerfect(tm) Graphics images.
extra/texlive-publishers 2023.66594-19 (texlive)
    TeX Live - Publisher styles, theses, etc.
extra/wordpress 6.2.2-1
    Blog tool and publishing platform
extra/wp-cli 2.8.1-1
    A command-line tool for managing WordPress
extra/wpscan 1:3.8.22-3
    Black box WordPress vulnerability scanner

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman

Warnings are for those who don’t like a little excitement in their lives :wink:

gotta live life a little dangerously XD otherwise there is no fun in it lol

True. But heeding said warnings…that’s just dumb.