Manjaro KDE Laptop Compatibility

Hello everyone,

After talking up Manjaro to my wife (and Linux in general) for months, I have finally convinced her to install Manjaro on her laptop (not her main machine) as a trial run of Linux.

I know that she is really fond of all the features her laptop has, such as touch screen and fingerprint reader for logging in. It is also a “360” device, which she is able to flip and turn into a “tablet”.

I am wondering if I will encounter some compatibility issues with these features out of the box. I don’t mind putting in the work to make the features work; however, I do not want to give the laptop to my wife before the features work, as I feel that might put her off from the start.

Thank you all in advance for your help and input!

Laptop:
HP Envy x360
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 4700U(2a)
Memory: 8 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 X 4 GB)
Internal storage: 512 GB PCIe NVMe™ M.2 SSD(15)(58b)
Wireless: Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX 200 (2x2

theres nothing to say without knowing what we are dealing with here, laptop model/hardware in it. usually running live usb on the said platform is a good way to get ball-park idea of what is running out-of-the-box. FP reader almost always requires manual intervention to work (if it is compatible that is)

Sorry about that.

I edited the original post with the laptop and top specs.

Good idea on the live USB, I’ll try that. Thanks!

always quote laptop model with its year (these laptop are released yearly iterative with same name). from the HW quoted should not be a issue.

1 Like

There’s no guarantee for fingerprint, there many models that libfprint just don’t have complete support yet.
Touchscreen still has a chance of not working, but it’s a lot less than fingerprint.
Tablet mode support was added around last year, but again, specific model might not generate the expected ACPI event to detect and change the UI accordingly. Same thing for automatic screen rotation.
All in all, you just have to try it in live mode first. Judging from the CPU, that model should be from around 2019/2020, so the chance of success might be quite high (in Linux world, the older the device, the better the support, unless it’s a Linux first device).

1 Like

also check HP hardware compatibility list in arch-linux for your laptop;
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Category:HP

You can try the linux-hardware.org site to see the outcomes of people running Manjaro on a variety of computers. It won’t narrow it down to a particular DE, so you won’t necessarily see if Manjaro KDE vs Manjaro xfce makes any difference. Here, for example, is the listing for Manjaro running on various HP Envy 360’s; perhaps you can find your particular model in the listing –
Hewlett-Packard ENVY x360 (All) Computers

This is amazing!

thank you :pray:

I was expecting less information when I first wrote the post. I am in awe of how much knowledge you all have. I hope I get there someday.

thanks for your help!