Manjaro is so slow that I can't do anything

(I’m bad at English please bear with me)

Hi everyone

For the sake of studies in computer science, I had to install a Linux/UNIX distro so I chose Manjaro. However Manjaro becomes suddenly slows at times (so slow that it even freezes) and always makes me reboot since I can’t do anything. These slows happens at really random times : when I’m using Intellij Idea, when I’m in a zoom call or even when I’m just seeking for help with a firefox window and a terminal.

During these slows I took the reflex to use htop to check what is wrong but there is no apparent problem, the RAM is used below 50-60% and my CPU’s cores aren’t dying.

Can somebody help me please ?


By any chance are you using the dynamic-wallpaper ? Set a static background.
Can we also see
inxi -Fazy
at least, or maybe provide as much information you consider relevant, as described here:

Sounds like swap.
But please follow the request above.

I never set a dynamic wallpaper. I have a random picture I found on Google.

Concerning inxi the forum doesn’t want me to copy paste the content because “You can’t post links” (even though there’s none).

In a nutshell I’m on the 5.8.18-1 Kernel on a 64bits computer, the version of Manjaro is 3.38.1 stable. I have a 8-core AMD FX-8350, 8Go of Ram, a SSD with windows and manjaro (mounted on /) and a hdd with the first half for windows files and the second half for /home.

  Kernel: 5.8.18-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0 
  parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.8-x86_64 
  root=UUID=29a634c2-fa75-411c-a600-7a3bb65c9a7b rw quiet apparmor=1 
  security=apparmor udev.log_priority=3 
  Desktop: GNOME 3.38.1 tk: GTK 3.24.23 wm: gnome-shell dm: GDM 3.38.1 
  Distro: Manjaro Linux 
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: 970 Pro3 R2.0 serial: <filter> 
  UEFI: American Megatrends v: P2.80 date: 05/31/2016 
  Info: 8-Core model: AMD FX-8350 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Bulldozer 
  family: 15 (21) model-id: 2 stepping: N/A microcode: 6000852 
  L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
  flags: avx lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm 
  bogomips: 68825 
  Speed: 2204 MHz min/max: 1400/4000 MHz boost: enabled Core speeds (MHz): 
  1: 1778 2: 1606 3: 1600 4: 1896 5: 1504 6: 1504 7: 1505 8: 1505 
  Vulnerabilities: Type: itlb_multihit status: Not affected 
  Type: l1tf status: Not affected 
  Type: mds status: Not affected 
  Type: meltdown status: Not affected 
  Type: spec_store_bypass 
  mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp 
  Type: spectre_v1 
  mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization 
  Type: spectre_v2 mitigation: Full AMD retpoline, IBPB: conditional, STIBP: 
  disabled, RSB filling 
  Type: srbds status: Not affected 
  Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected 
  Device-1: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] vendor: Micro-Star MSI 
  driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1c82 
  Display: wayland server: 1.20.9 compositor: gnome-shell 
  driver: nouveau note: display driver n/a - try sudo/root display ID: 0 
  resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
  OpenGL: renderer: NV137 v: 4.3 Mesa 20.2.1 direct render: Yes 
  Device-1: AMD SBx00 Azalia vendor: ASRock driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:14.2 chip ID: 1002:4383 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP107GL High Definition Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 chip ID: 10de:0fb9 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.8.18-1-MANJARO 
  Message: No Device data found. 
  Device-1: NetGear WNA1000Mv2 802.11bgn [Realtek RTL8188CUS] type: USB 
  driver: rtl8192cu bus ID: 5-1:2 chip ID: 0846:9043 serial: <filter> 
  IF: wlp0s22f2u1 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: ASIX AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet type: USB driver: ax88179_178a 
  bus ID: 5-3:3 chip ID: 0b95:1790 serial: <filter> 
  IF: enp0s22f2u3 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
  Local Storage: total: 1.13 TiB used: 48.12 GiB (4.2%) 
  SMART Message: Required tool smartctl not installed. Check --recommends 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 
  size: 931.51 GiB block size: physical: 4096 B logical: 512 B speed: 6.0 Gb/s 
  rotation: 7200 rpm serial: <filter> rev: 1A01 scheme: GPT 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Crucial model: CT240BX500SSD1 size: 223.57 GiB 
  block size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: <unknown> serial: <filter> 
  rev: R013 scheme: GPT 
  ID-1: / raw size: 105.90 GiB size: 103.73 GiB (97.96%) 
  used: 13.93 GiB (13.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb6 
  ID-2: /home raw size: 443.23 GiB size: 435.27 GiB (98.20%) 
  used: 34.19 GiB (7.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
  Alert: No Swap data was found. 
  System Temperatures: cpu: 23.6 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 47.0 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nouveau fan: 0 
  Processes: 244 Uptime: 2h 14m Memory: 7.73 GiB used: 3.77 GiB (48.7%) 
  Init: systemd v: 246 Compilers: gcc: 10.2.0 Packages: pacman: 1335 lib: 363 
  flatpak: 0 Shell: Zsh v: 5.8 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.1.08 

Here some pointers:

Not to cut you down from using free drivers and wayland session, but none of those are ready for a proper experience in linux.
If you require more assistance to make the switch to proprietary drivers and X11 session, just ask.