Manjaro is not booting to GUI after graphics driver change

Currently I can boot Manjaro (KDE) on my laptop only to this screen (after Grub):

Booting initramfs fallback also gets me just there.

How did I get here:

• I wanted to play a game on Steam that wouldn’t load past the splash screen. I don’t know if I was in a Wayland session or Xorg (I’m guessing Xorg though).
  • I decided to try another graphics driver first, installed intel-modesetting from the MHWD GUI in system settings and removed the previously used xf86-video-intel.
  • As the game still wouldn’t load, I tried to reboot, and voila, here I am.

The graphics card is Intel UHD onboard, I think 620.
Hardware specs - I also have Ubuntu on a backup partition on this laptop, whcih I’m posting from now, so disregard below software-related output (it’s just the Ubuntu system):

ben@paul-ubu:~$ inxi
CPU: Quad Core Intel Core i7-10510U (-MT MCP-) 
speed/min/max: 800/400/4900 MHz Kernel: 5.11.0-41-generic x86_64 Up: 1h 08m 
Mem: 2054.9/31801.7 MiB (6.5%) Storage: 1.41 TiB (0.8% used) Procs: 284 
Shell: bash 5.0.17 inxi: 3.0.38 
ben@paul-ubu:~$ inxi --graphics
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: i915 resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics (CML GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.6

I was using 5.14 kernel in Manjaro.
I can get to the command line in TTY2.
I have a separate Timeshift partition with backups (Rsync), but I’ve never restored one so far, let alone from the command line.

Any suggestions how I can recover my Manjaro GUI (Plasma)?

EDIT: I tried to change the graphics drive back through the MHWD command line in TTY2. Here’s how this went:

sudo mhwd-gpu --check
//no output

sudo mhwd-gpu --status
:: status
warning: could not find '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf'!

~$ ls /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
00-keyboard.conf  20-intel.conf  30-touchpad.conf

sudo mhwd -a pci free 0300
e[1me[31m> e[mUsing config 'video-linux' for device: 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:9b41) Display controller Intel Corporation CometLake-U GT2 [UHD Graphics]
e[1me[31m> e[mInstalling video-linux...
e[0;32mSourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
e[me[0;32mHas lib32 support: true
e[me[0;32mSourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/video-linux/MHWDCONFIG
e[me[0;32mProcessing classid: 0300
e[me[0;32mSourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
e[me[0;32mProcessing classid: 0380
e[me[0;32mProcessing classid: 0302
e[me[0;32m:: Paketdatenbanken werden synchronisiert …
e[me[0;32m core wird heruntergeladen …
e[me[0;32mFehler: Konnte Datei 'core.db' nicht von ftp.belnet.be übertragen : Could not resolve host: ftp.belnet.be
e[me[0;32mWarnung: too many errors from ftp.belnet.be, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
e[me[0;32mFehler: Konnte Datei 'core.db' nicht von mirrors.dotsrc.org übertragen : Could not resolve host: mirrors.dotsrc.org
e[me[0;32mWarnung: too many errors from mirrors.dotsrc.org, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
e[me[0;32mFehler: Konnte Datei 'core.db' nicht von coresite.mm.fcix.net übertragen : Could not resolve host: coresite.mm.fcix.net
e[me[0;32mWarnung: too many errors from coresite.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
e[me[0;32mFehler: Konnte Datei 'core.db' nicht von fastmirror.pp.ua übertragen : Could not resolve host: fastmirror.pp.ua
e[me[0;32mWarnung: too many errors from fastmirror.pp.ua, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
e[me[0;32mFehler: Konnte Datei 'core.db' nicht von muug.ca übertragen : Could not resolve host: muug.ca
e[me[0;32mWarnung: too many errors from muug.ca, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
e[me[0;32mFehler: Konnte Datei 'core.db' nicht von mirrors.xtom.jp übertragen : Could not resolve host: mirrors.xtom.jp
e[me[0;32mWarnung: too many errors from mirrors.xtom.jp, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
e[me[0;32mFehler: Konnte Datei 'core.db' nicht von repo.ialab.dsu.edu übertragen : Could not resolve host: repo.ialab.dsu.edu
e[me[0;32mWarnung: too many errors from repo.ialab.dsu.edu, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
e[me[0;32mFehler: Konnte Datei 'core.db' nicht von repos.silknet.com übertragen : Could not resolve host: repos.silknet.com
e[me[0;32mWarnung: too many errors from repos.silknet.com, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
e[me[0;32mFehler: Keine Datenbank konnte synchronisiert werden (Ungültige URL für den Server)
e[me[0;32mError: pacman failed!
e[me[1me[31mError: e[mscript failed!

Well I wasn’t aware it needs to download stuff from the internet connection…
Sorry about the funny characters, this is the result of piping the command > to a text file.

EDIT: Here is the content of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf :

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
        Option      "DRI" "False"
EndSection

I think I may have put it there, but I forgot why, maybe it plays a role in this problem?

post output from tty from this:
mhwd -li
mhwd-kernel -li

1 Like

big mistake… you need to install the intel driver again. Intel uses modesetting by default.

Good from there you can do a manual chroot into Manjaro and install the driver again…

So seems you are german. The wiki has a good explanation: Live-CD › chroot › Wiki › ubuntuusers.de

Although it is meant to use on a live session, you can also use it on another Distro on the same computer. The commands are universal for any Linux-System, so works the same way for Ubuntu → Manjaro.

That is bad… 5.14 is outdated. Install the next LTS kernel 5.15.

mhwd-kernel -i linux515

Do this in chroot session.

1 Like

Since the automatted reinstall with mhwd failed because of lack of internet connection, I tried to establish one (wireless, I have no cable handy) in the command line using nmtui (got the hint from this thread, which is, funnily enough, about my exact same problem - with older solution). I ran

sudo mhwd -a pci free 0300

once more. This time it worked perfectly, and I had the intel driver back (it chose i915)

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to respond! It’s always the same, I need to post my problem before I can think of the right info to search the web for…

note:

Anything CLI-based would not have been necessary to launch in chroot (I think) bcs I had access to TTY2.

1 Like

True. Not necessary but more comfortable if you booted into Ubuntu already. Anyway, that was just an advice.

Glad you managed it youself.

Cheers. :beers:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.