Manjaro installation does not boot

I found the AHCI. It is enabled (“Configure SATA as AHCI”). The other option id IDE.

looks ok… maybe it doesnt have secure boot…
maybe its how you installed manjaro?
post output from:

lsblk -o PATH,PTTYPE,PARTTYPE,FSTYPE,PARTTYPENAME

This is with the usb plugged in. Hence the sdb and dos PPTYPEs.

[jlb@banff ~]$ lsblk -o PATH,PTTYPE,PARTTYPE,FSTYPE,PARTTYPENAME
PATH PTTYPE PARTTYPE FSTYPE PARTTYPENAME
/dev/sda gpt
/dev/sda1 gpt 0fc63daf-8483-4772-8e79-3d69d8477de4 ext4 Linux filesystem
/dev/sda2 gpt 0657fd6d-a4ab-43c4-84e5-0933c84b4f4f swap Linux swap
/dev/sda3 gpt 0fc63daf-8483-4772-8e79-3d69d8477de4 ext4 Linux filesystem
/dev/sda4 gpt c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b vfat EFI System
/dev/sdb dos iso9660
/dev/sdb1 dos 0x0 iso9660 Empty
/dev/sdb2 dos 0xef vfat EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

And I think I sent this earlier, but parted -l gives:

Model: ATA ST9500325AS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
4 1049kB 538MB 537MB fat32 boot, esp
1 538MB 158GB 157GB ext4
2 158GB 168GB 10.5GB linux-swap(v1) swap
3 168GB 500GB 332GB ext4

I think I saw one post in the forum that suggested removing the swap flag on the swap partition. I have not tried it yet. Should I?

And I used the graphical installer, and note that the partitions are not quite in the order I created them during the install. I had the fat32 partition 1st, but I see it’s still physically at the start of the disk. I’m not sure that matters… At one point (maybe it was the MBR days) I think it did.

everything looks ok…

i dont know about this, but you can try:

i think its a bios thing… disable the legacy boot and if you find CMS, disable that too

Disabled legacy boot (UEFI only), and I don’t see CMS anywhere.

Same problem: “No OS found”.

i have no idea whats the problem could be… either its a bios thing, or how it was installed…
you can try to remove both entries from the efi directory:
sudo rm -r /boot/efi/EFI/Manjaro
sudo rm -r /boot/efi/EFI/boot
then reinstall it again:

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck 

update it:
sudo mkinitcpio -P && sudo update-grub
reboot

I’ll give that a try.

I searched and found this, which seems to suggest I may need to update the bios. What do you think?

English Community-Lenovo Community

I don’t know how to do that. I’ll try your suggestion first.

Thank you for your help.

Just to followup:

I did try removing the /boot/efi/EFI subdirectory and re-installing grub. I had no errors with installing grub, so updated. However, this did not solve my problem with booting to Manjaro.

Some more searching leads me to think that it is a problem with the bios I have on this machine. In addition to the link in my above post, I have found some more things I may try:

https://superuser.com/questions/1692006/lenovo-m93p-will-no-longer-boot-from-hard-drive-or-usb-drives (one post discussed M92p)

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=187715

As to how to update without a windows OS installed, these may be useful:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/How-can-I-Install-BIOS-Upgrade-without-windows-installed/td-p/8106

nice find, it really looks like there is a problem with uefi on this machine… so just disable uefi and enable legacy, create MBR and install manjaro in legacy/mbr mode, which according the links should work …

Yep. Confirming it did work.

I did consider updating the bios, but could not see that the reward was worth the risk, since I did not have windows installed, and that seemed to be required for the default method.

Thank you again for your help in resolving this issue.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.