Manjaro i3: what’s a good terminal alternative to urxvt that is similarly lightweight/keyboard-focused but more configurable at run-time

Using i3 Manjaro community edition — what a great edition.

Question: urxvt seems a great terminal; Arch seems to love it. But why? Is it because it is very lightweight/small footprint, and/or it is a keyboard-only-focused (ie, h,j,k,l warrior) ?

nothing against being a keyboard-only h,j,k,l warrior — I am one, in fact. Maybe it wasn’t obvious from my preference for i3 :smiley:

The issue I see is that urxvt is hard to customize at run-time; it seems have to modify ~/.Xresources painfully by hand, then restart X. I’m all for dotfile-style text configs, but surely not as raw as .Xresources

So… in light of this, am I missing some fundamental benefit to sticking with urxvt ? Is there a way more user-friendly and customizable terminal that sticks true to being lightweight and keyboard-only (h,j,k,l warrior) focused?

EDIT: Preferably a terminal that can hide File | Edit | … menu . Those definitely look out of place in i3.

1 Like

I use alacrity. It’s much easier to configure.

1 Like

Personally I like kitty allot good customization options (including keymapping for instance) and easy to use imo.

https://sw.kovidgoyal.net/kitty/

Almost forgot.
It also plays very nice with Ranger. For (in terminal) image preview for instance all you need is pillow and set preview_images_method kitty in your rc.conf

4 Likes

I am using tilix. It probably not the lightest one but it is easy to configure, lot of options and, if you want it, keyboard oriented. Additionally it plays nice with i3

2 Likes

Thanks so far for all the suggestions: alacrity, kitty, tilix — some new toys to play with today on my breaks =)

Keep the suggestions coming in hehe.

Btw, that desktop :open_mouth: I just see it and want to do work. :smiley:

lol, thx

Just browsing the forum a little in between work.

1 Like

Hi!
Imho termite or alacritty

1 Like

I was going to use alacritty, but it doesn’t have ligature support, so I’ve been using Kitty for the past year or so. I hear st has ligature support now too, so I may give that a try sometime.

1 Like

A little off topic, but out of curiosity: is that i3? How do you have such a cool bottom bar? :smiley:

Did not get a notice since your replying to yourself, but I guess you meant me? :thinking:
If so thx :wink:

Yes it is i3 with Gaps enabled (can disable on the fly if i want with a key combo) and picom with experimental backends active for rounded corners and blur effect.

The bar is polybar

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, haha… I did not mean to reply to myself >.<

Ok cool, i3 manjaro has picom working and i have the i3-gaps. For another fun break (read: procrastination) I will investigate polybar :slight_smile:

Best regards

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.