Manjaro hibernation doesn't work, LUKS SWAP partition fails to map correctly on boot. (Manjaro installer autoconfiguration, nothing custom)

Fresh Manjaro install from official installer (KDE Plasma; partitions autoconfiguration, nothing custom). I have selected hibernation support as separate SWAP partition (automatic configuration). Also have selected to use LUKS password.

OS installed succesfully, but then booting there is always this verbose messages appearing on blackscreen, seconds before DE appears:
Device does not exist or access denied.
after some second next message:
ERROR: resume: hibernation device '/dev/mapper/luks-XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
after some seconds desktop environment UI launches.

I think there is problem in the manjaro USB installer, which it doesn’t set some configuration correctly for this case.

I’m comfortable with terminal, but doesn’t know yet how internals work and how linux boot sequence completely works.

Ref links which I found relatable, but wasn’t informative enough to fix issue:

wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dm-crypt/Swap_encryption#With_suspend-to-disk_support

Thanks!

1 Like

Same issue here

I don’t use hibernation, so I cannot tinker with my own systems.

However, I’m curious of the contents of:

/etc/fstab

/etc/crypttab

/etc/default/grub

/etc/mkinicpio.conf

As well as the output of:

sudo lsblk -o name,uuid

Hi winnie, thanks for taking the time to look at it. I linked my post to this one because it seems that it has nothing to do with hibernation activity, but with sole fact that it’s enabled. Check the linked post (your requested info included), and the solution too :grinning::
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-xfce-gnome-21-2-4-minimal-220301-linux515-iso-default-install-fde-nohibernation-on-efi-baremetal-or-kvm-boot-device-does-not-exists/106452

There was a bug in Calamares that caused /etc/openswap.conf files to be truncated and probably contributed to some of these hibernation issues: [libcalamares] Fix file-reading from target system by vtriolet · Pull Request #1918 · calamares/calamares · GitHub

I was able to track it down thanks to @MaFo’s investigation.

The bug is fixed in Calamares 3.2.55, which can hopefully be included in the next set of ISO images.

1 Like