Manjaro hanging after latest update

Great point which I forgot to mention.

Except for ease-of-use because of lazyness, I personally think it’s a much better learning tool for newcomers to Linux. It allows you to use the command line, while keeping tings easy for newcomers.

For example, compare these two commands:

pacman -S <packagename>

and

pamac install <packagename>

Essentially they both do the same thing. But the pamac install one just makes things clearer for newcomers.

Additionally, when updating, pamac takes care of more things that would’ve required human intervention with pacman.

Thanks, Mirdarthos and staycat. Those tips will help me with installing, updating and better understanding kernel downloads.

2 Likes

That is correct, yes. It scans for Windows viruses only.

There are no GNU/Linux viruses in the wild — the only existing viruses for GNU/Linux were created in laboratory conditions as proof-of-concept and require the cooperation of the system administrator to get them onto the target machine.

Note that I’m talking about viruses here. There is other malware out there that affects GNU/Linux as much as it does Windows, because it is not OS-specific and uses much higher levels of abstraction — such as a browser — as well as that it also relies on social engineering. And alas, there is no software solution for fixing human stupidity. :grin:

1 Like

dont ignore any updates, that will lead to a broken system…
if you install the latest stable 6.1 kernel, and you reboot, it will automatically select it… also it will automatically select it after each udpate of kernels… so maybe dont install it than? im also running the 5.15, and had installed the 6.1 too, but booting into the 6.1 everytime after a kernel update was annoying so i removed it, and run only the 5.15 …

Hi brahma,

This is getting tough. When I powered up now, there was a failure to load kernel modules. It must have to do with that 6.1.

It seems exactly what happened before after installing the kernel update. Previously you resolved it for me so I can go back to the older topic I posted and follow your instructions. However, you may want to know what has happened or want me to try something different.

Please let me know if I should go back to the older topic and repeat or if you want me to try something else.

no thats not how to resolve this failure to load kernel modules…
how did you installed the kernel?
you still have the 5.15, so switch to it in grub menu/advanced options…

edit: you meant a different topic, where you needed the ibt=off parameter…

I installed through the GUI: Settings Manager then Kernels.

I don’t think I have any acces to main system but I can change the grub timeout to menu now in chroot, as you showed me before.

I am writing to this forum on live usb now.

so the previous problem was that you needed the ibt=off parameter …
so yes you can add the parameter, and also change the grub timeout (grub can be shown also by tapping the shift or esc key during boot), and see if you can boot with the 6.1…
or just uninstall it, and use the 5.15 …

Where do i place the ibt=off parameter again?

Not sure this updated?

[manjaro /]# sudo update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.1-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-6.1-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-6.1-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1.  Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1.  Check your device.map.
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
Root filesystem isn't btrfs
If you think an error has occurred, please file a bug report at "https://github.com/Antynea/grub-btrfs"
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
/usr/bin/grub-probe: warning: unknown device type nvme0n1.
done
[manjaro /]#

yes, it looks ok… edit also the grub timeout, exit chroot and reboot

Yes, I can now boot into the 6.1.

But oops, I forgot to exit chroot for rebooting!

I will now like to log in to the 515 and remove the 6.1.

What do i edit grub timeout to? 5?

you could have removed it from chroot…
the default is 5 already…
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
and edit this line to look like this:
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
save it with ctrl+x, press ‘y’, then enter;
update grub:
sudo update-grub
reboot

Yes I had done that already.

so what, the grub is not being shown?

OK great, it’s done. Now only 515 on my system.

So with each general package update, do i just keep removing 6.1?

no, you already removed it, so its gone, and its not coming back until you install it manually… it will not be installed automatically during updating…
check with:
mhwd-kernel -li

ok wow. Once again a huge thank you. I am going to close the topic now and I’m sure going forward my problem is solved. Brilliant.