Manjaro Gnome 20.2 installer gives no option for name/username

I’ve run Manjaro Gnome on my Dell XPS 15 with no real problems before. I decided to come back to it, but the 20.2 Gnome installer doesn’t give me an option to set my name, username, password, and all of that. It skips that part of the installation process altogether.

I figured it probably has a default of “root” for the username and “manjaro” for the password. No luck. I also tried “manjaro” for both the username and password with no such luck.

Does anyone know how I can login?

With the disclaimer that I’m not a GNOME user, it is my understanding that the newest GNOME now utilizes an OEM-style installation whereby the user account and the passwords are set up after completing the installation and rebooting for the first time.

If true ─ and I have no reason to doubt the people who’ve mentioned this ─ then it’s undoubtedly a preparation for the adoption of systemd-homed. systemd-homed radically changes how user accounts and home directories are managed, and both systemd and GNOME are developed at RedHat, with a tightly integrated relationship between them.

1 Like

It does look like they’re moving in that direction; however, I couldn’t log in to get to the user setup. None of the defaults worked.

I ended up reinstalling with the architect installer and now I have a working machine. Inconvenient and time-consuming for standard install with no custom needs, but at least it’s an option.

I just ran into this same issue today. The installer does not ask for user, location nor office software. Seems to work fine on the Cinnamon variaty.
Before I go down the architect route, I would love some feedback on this.

It should ask you to provide the future users details prior to being able to login.
I have never seen that myself - would have to set up a VM to test and see it.
… if you install via Architect, this would likely be the same
the user setup is only done after the install is finished … it seems
on first boot
it’s wierd - and different to all the other desktop install options
… Gnome … :wink:
it tries (pretty hard) to be intuitive
but
it’s not … (IMO)
to someone who has prior “knowledge” …

assume you know nothing - just follow the advice (if there is any)
and it should work …

So at this point I am fairly sure it’s the Gnome Display Manager that is hanging up and not the installation process. Any tips on getting wayland to run on a Dell XPS 15 with a Nvidia Geforce card?

Thanks for the response. It definitely doesn’t and it prevented me from installing it on any machine with a recent Nvidia GPU (because I couldn’t log in to TTY and install the drivers).

The good news is that the Gnome installer for Manjaro 21 (released yesterday) fixes this. It adds the user creation section back to the installer so now I can TTY into my install and install the Nvidia Hybrid drivers

The good news is that the Gnome installer for Manjaro 21 (released yesterday) fixes this. It adds the user creation section back to the installer so now I can TTY into my install and install the Nvidia Hybrid drivers