Hey guys, i’m a new user comming from windows and my desktop froze on me. On windows you got the classic ctrl + alt + delete which can help unfreeze 90% of the time. What to do when Manjaro freezes?
reboot on USB iso manjaro
open a terminal and a browser on this topic
sudo manjaro-chroot -a ( type 1 if only one line appaers ) journalctl -b -1 -p4 exit ( end chroot )
you will froze a long time if we have no log
I used ctrl + alt + f3 and rebooted from terminal using: sudo systemctl reboot
you should provide log …
This thread has some good infos on this:
My system is fully up to date. Everytime this happens i have to reboot
You should probably investigate why the system is freezing in the first place rather than looking for something to “unfreeze” it.
I have spent the past few months trying to investigate my system freezing when I resume after suspend/sleep. I posted a series of post on the old forum, with my settings, and the various logs that I looked at along with the results as I changed kernels from 4.14 to 4.19 to 5.4 to 5.6 and now on 5.7.
I thought it might be down to my using all the memory and having swap active, so I tuned to reduce swap usage, and then tried killing firefox and thunderbird before leaving the machine to it have 7gig of ram free over night, and it still froze with a load average of 0.04.
The freeze varies in duration from 20 minutes to a couple of minutes.
I am able to access the virtual terminals via Alt + F1, Alt + F2 etc. And have tailed the various logs in different virtual terminals to try and see what is going on.
Any ideas on things to look for would be much appreciated. I am running XFCE and a dual monitor setup with 4 workspaces, and lots of stuff running normally.
I don’t know if this helps but i was trying to dualboot with windows at the time but i ended up wiping my drive and reinstalling 100% fresh and it the problem went away. Same version of manjaro and all that.
It has now been good for a few months. I am on Kernel 5.10 and there is an improvement to swap which I think is what fixed the problem.
I continued going up through the kernels until the problem went away.
I believe I’m experiencing this same problem.
Here is my “inxi -Fxz” output:
System: Kernel: 5.14.7-2-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.1.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.22.5 Distro: Manjaro Linux
base: Arch Linux
Machine: Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Latitude 7490 v: N/A serial:
Mobo: Dell model: 02XPCX v: A09 serial: UEFI: Dell v: 1.21.0 date: 07/19/2021
Battery: ID-1: BAT0 charge: 47.2 Wh (100.0%) condition: 47.2/60.0 Wh (78.6%) volts: 8.6 min: 7.6 model: BYD DELL KG7VF88
Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech Wireless Keyboard charge: 55% (should be ignored) status: Discharging
CPU: Info: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-8650U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake note: check rev: A cache:
L2: 8 MiB
flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 33615
Speed: 877 MHz min/max: 400/4200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 877 2: 800 3: 800 4: 813 5: 800 6: 800 7: 801 8: 800
Graphics: Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0
Device-2: Realtek Integrated Webcam HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-5:3
Display: x11 server: X Org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: modesetting resolution: 3840x2160~30Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.3 direct render: Yes
Audio: Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
Device-2: SteelSeries ApS Arctis Pro Wireless type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid
Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.14.7-2-MANJARO running: yes
Sound Server-2: JACK v: 1.9.19 running: no
Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: yes
Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.38 running: yes
Network: Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-LM vendor: Dell driver: e1000e v: kernel port: f040 bus-ID: 00:1f.6
IF: enp0s31f6 state: down mac:
Device-2: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: f040 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac:
Device-3: Realtek RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter type: USB driver: r8152 bus-ID: 2-1.4:4
IF: enp0s20f0u1u4 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac:
Bluetooth: Device-1: Intel Bluetooth wireless interface type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8 bus-ID: 1-7:5
Report: rfkill ID: hci0 rfk-id: 4 state: up address: see --recommends
Drives: Local Storage: total: 476.94 GiB used: 11.61 GiB (2.4%)
ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: PM9A1 NVMe 512GB size: 476.94 GiB temp: 25.9 C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 434.26 GiB used: 11.61 GiB (2.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
ID-2: /boot/efi size: 299.4 MiB used: 440 KiB (0.1%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1
Swap: ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 34.36 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/dm-1
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 30.5 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0
Info: Processes: 265 Uptime: 1d 19h 4m Memory: 31.24 GiB used: 4.16 GiB (13.3%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 11.1.0
Packages: 1228 Shell: Zsh v: 5.8 inxi: 3.3.06
My install included KDE, the ext4 filesystem with encryption, and swap with hibernate. Whenever I plan to be away from the computer, I put it into hibernate mode. At least when I start things back up, I’m not starting from a fresh reboot. Cheers!
(Also, I’m posting on Oct 11, 2021. The date slider thingy says “Feb 26” which is not correct.)