Manjaro freezes every other 500ms

Hello. I am having an odd problem where my system freezes for ~0.5s and then works for ~0.5s. This results in mouse movements only registering in that ~0.5s gap, however keyboard strokes are just delayed and still come through afterwards. Everything is affected, and videos will also freeze.

I have tried “# perf record -g -a sleep 10 && perf record” and i got this output: https://pastebin.com/raw/6hX2zuNY. This started happening about an hour ago out of nowhere. I recently reinstalled Manjaro, but i had no troubles after doing so until now. I have also completely shut off my computer twice to no avail. It also happens on the login screen, but not if type in the terminal in Ctrl+Alt+F2 for example.

Edit: I am using xfce but i tried out Plasma and it also freezes there.

Edit2: Audio does not freeze. “$ pkill pulseaudio” did stop the audio, but the rest still freezes.

Edit3: I am using an Asus GTX 1070 6GB, and removing the proprietary nvidia driver fixed the issue. If i dont update this post, consider it fixed.

Edit4: The free driver has poor performance, however. Id appreciate any help to fix the proprietary nvidia driver.

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

Please read this:

and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies…

• An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
  • as your pastebin output shows swapping, the output of free --human would be helpful as well.

:innocent:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which CPU/GPU you have, …