Manjaro forum 2fa reset

Hello all,

I have to create another account here on forum because I wasn’t able to reset 2FA for previous “main” account.
I broke my phone and I don’t have backup for 2FA.
Could you advise what is correct procedure to reset 2FA here ?
I didn’t find it anywhere :frowning_face: also reset password procedure doesn’t work because of 2FA probably.

P.S.: I didn’t find suitable section for such question :man_shrugging: so …

Thx
BR

This is an impossible request.

How would any admins / moderators etc know that you are who you claim you are if you didn’t enable backup codes?

And if they made an exception for you - who would they then make exceptions for?

So we’re very sorry, but we cannot, in good faith, honour your request.

3 Likes

I think there should be recovery process for 2FA for example via email or so.
Every site I use has some process.

Your mobile device usually offers some kind of backup - including backup of app data - you should use that.

Or you could use an authenticator application which stores your keys in the cloud - I have heard of at least one service doing so.

There is. In the process of setting 2FA up, you get backup/recovery codes. You just need to use these codes to login and set up a new device.

2 Likes

I completely forgot - or didn’t remember :question:

I didn’t save them anywhere but I know my password. I use password manager :slight_smile:

That makes even more a no-go - 2FA is for a reason - so you just lost your account.

I know my account login name, I have access to my email and I know my password. Is that enough to reset 2FA ? :man_shrugging:

No - it is not - anyone could be posing as you - having access to your username and email account.

So - no you cannot reset your account.

1 Like

I just noticed you need to actively enable the backup codes. It is not automatically done by discourse, often this is done automatically after setting up a device.
But there is the option to do so, and I would it recommend for every body who is using 2FA. A device get easily lost or stolen.

1 Like

That explains why I cannot remember it :slight_smile:

But in any case - as the user is so informed - it is a user decision to create the backup codes and the responsibility of a lost account is still the user’s responsibility.

2 Likes

I’ll think for now we need to get you through the recovery part. What’s broken on your phone, maybe there’s still a chance to recover some files?

No - it is not - anyone could be posing as you - having access to your username and email account.

So - no you cannot reset your account.

I think you are overrating security here, this isn’t bank account. I’m just regular user. No one will gain any benefit from using my account :slight_smile:

But OK I accept your opinion.

I’ll think for now we need to get you through the recovery part. What’s broken on your phone, maybe there’s still a chance to recover some files?

Thanks @flipper that is nice from you :slight_smile: but I think there isn’t really way.
I was replacing battery on my older iphone 6 and I accidentally created short circuit. At least this is my assumption because I saw some sparkles e.g. I kept battery connected when re-connecting antenna cable. So amateur mistake.

I’ve marked this answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (If you disagree with my choice, just send me a personal message and explain why I shouldn’t have done this or :heart: or :+1: if you agree)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please don’t forget to come back and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.