Manjaro does not switch network immediately when one is disconnected

So my laptop’s internal wifi card (Realtek 8852AE) is absolute ■■■■ since day one. Very slow and unreliable be it in windows or linux.
What I usually do is to tether my android to the laptop and use its wifi instead.

While it works just fine in Windows, apps in Manjaro seems to behave strangely whenever I do this. Often times Firefox, Element, KTorrent etc simply thinks that there is no internet when the internal wifi is disconnected even though the usb-tethering is active.

After some time (like 10 minutes later) the apps seems to have understood the changing network and be able to access the internet just fine using the tethered android. How to fix their behavior to instantly use the wired connection?

██████████████████ ████████ Host: 82L5 IdeaPad 5 Pro 16ACH6
████████ ████████ Kernel: 6.1.25-1-MANJARO
████████ ████████ ████████ Uptime: 11 hours, 5 mins
████████ ████████ ████████ Packages: 1619 (pacman)
████████ ████████ ████████ Shell: bash 5.1.16
████████ ████████ ████████ Resolution: 3840x2160
████████ ████████ ████████ DE: Plasma 5.27.4
████████ ████████ ████████ WM: KWin
████████ ████████ ████████ Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]
████████ ████████ ████████ Icons: [Plasma], breeze-dark [GTK2/3]
████████ ████████ ████████ Terminal: konsole
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics (16) @ 3.200GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Mobile
Memory: 9511MiB / 13829MiB

Hi @fulfula, and welcome!

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

When posting terminal output, copy the output and paste it here, wrapped in three (3) backticks, before AND after the pasted text. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or three (3) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Sed
sollicitudin dolor
eget nisl elit id
condimentum
arcu erat varius
cursus sem quis eros.

Instead of like this:

Sed sollicitudin dolor eget nisl elit id condimentum arcu erat varius cursus sem quis eros.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby increasing legibility thus making it easier for those trying to provide assistance.

For more information, please see:

:bangbang::bangbang: Additionally

If your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

While I have absolutely no idea how to do this, I think it’s a routing/routing table problem. I think it doesn’t get updated when the networking is switched. No, I don’t know why.

I do think one solution would be to get the routing rules/table before and after it has been plugged in and is working. And then writing a udev rule to automatically apply them as necessary.

But, like I said, I don’t know how to do it myself.

Personally, I’d say just get yourself a USB Wifi adapter/dongle that works in Linux.

More info:

My internet works just fine with RTL8852AE. Perhaps try a newer kernel series.