Manjaro does not have .profile by default?

I am new to linux, have been using only for a month now. I just installed Manjaro 21.3.7 version with KDE. I need to add the Golang compiler to the PATH, which I normally do (in previous distro, Linux Mint) by adding export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/go/bin to the ~/.profile file. I can’t seem to find this file in Manjaro. Will it work if I add this file manually? I temporarily fixed this by adding the same line to ~/.zshrc file. In the process, another question came to my mind. If Manjaro uses zsh as default, why does echo $SHELL return /bin/bash??? I initially entered this command to check which shell Manjaro uses (returned /bin/bash) and added the PATH line to ~/.bashrc which did not work. Adding it to ~/.zshrc worked, which means Manjaro is actually using zsh.

1 Like

Yes, you can create it manually.

~/.profile does not exist by default, and creating it will not necessarily result in the file being sourced.

Adding it to ~/.zshrc would work, but better would be ~/.zprofile, if it exists. The logic is that the *rc file is read at every invocation of an interactive shell, while the *profile file is only read at login time.

It might also be a good idea to add it to ~/.bash_profile as well, for reasons explained below.

The system shell is still bash, and that is the shell you’ll get in a tty session, but the graphical terminal window profiles have been set up to use zsh instead. Not everyone is happy about that, but the majority of our users requested it.

3 Likes

Okay that explains everything. ~/.zprofile does not exist either but ~/.bash_profile does. I prefer adding PATHs to ~/.*profile for the same reason, everything is configured at login time. I just removed the PATH from ~/.zshrc and added it to ~/.bash_profile and logged in again. It works. Thank you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.