Manjaro can't load modem manager

hello, i am a new user to linux.
not sure exactly what happened but i think manjaro crashed after i tried to install an update. now i am stuck with a black screen that reads " Failed to load Modem Manager"
at first it said failed to start load kernel modules. then it said dependency failed for local file systems. now it’s saying failed to load modem manager.

it doesn’t allow me to do anything unless i press ctrl alt f3, and now i’m having to type all of this from my phone.
but even after i log in i try sudo pacman -Syu and that command is not found.
sudo pacman-mirrors -f3 says ERROR must have root privileges.

again i am a new user, i don’t know how to chroot anything, which is what most searches i’ve done say to do but there is no explanation as to HOW that is done on a system that is not doing much of anything. can anyone out there help me with this problem?

edit: manjaro-chroot /mnt /bin/bash = command not found

Chrooting would be about your only way of recovering.
To chroot, you need a Manjaro ISO on a bootable usb stick, so you can get into the live session.
In the live session you can run the manjaro-chroot -a command to chroot into your current installation and fix your installation.

1 Like

how do i do this? i do have another linux machine i can get what i need from as well as a bootable usb. what do i need to download to the usb, and what do i need to do when i start up the machine that isn’t working?

also, i do not have an option to choose where i’m booting from. how do i do this? i can’t find any searches that help me out with this exact problem, i don’t know how to chroot, i don’t know what i’m doing at all. i do know that i have a usb drive. so once i get linux onto the usb drive what is my next step? any specific keys to price while starting up the machine before it goes into the errors?

If you don’t know how to boot the live session USB, I don’t think there’s much we can do to help you. :frowning:

i do not have the option to when i turn on the machine! it goes to a straight black screen and then to errors! can you explain to me how to do this???

you’re telling me to do something on a computer that is not booting… please elaborate a little bit on the steps to take to actually booting a usb device from a system that is failing to boot
\

Sudo /etc/fstab : command not found
sudo manjaro-chroot -a : command not found
sudo pacman -Syu : command not found
sudo pacman -Syyu : unable to lock database
mkdir /mnt/manjaro : permission denied
sudo systemctl start NetworkManager ModemManager : failed
systemctl status ModemManager -xeu : invalid option

Seriously.

The steps needed to boot a live session USB, depends entirely on how the manufactur of your hardware has set it up. There is no “This is the standard” here.

please bear with me sir as i am a rookie at this. i have my usb inserted in the machine. i force shutdown and turn it back on, nothing happens. i do not get the manjaro boot page. i get nothing. just a black screen with error messages.

surely there is SOMETHING other then calling it quits because i don’t know how to boot the usb drive in this situation. i haven’t had my entire system crash and not be able to boot back up.

You need to find out how you set your hardware to boot from USB. This is usually done from the firmware/UEFI in some way.

On my machine, I have to press F2, ESC or F8 at the exact right moment in the boot process to get into the UEFI/boot section.

1 Like

okay thank you. that information helps me greatly i will try to utilize the usb drive i already have and to try to boot from there. i will reply back after trying this process

alright so i was able to boot off the usb drive. and getting into terminal i entered the command you told me to and was presented with 3 mount options. whats my next step?

Take a look at following link and maybe you can learn how the procedure works, as a suggestion take notes about these kind of processes so you have the information you need it:

https://rmaicle.github.io/posts/71xXldOnEnKXWgw

it seems quite vague as to what to do exactly. it doesn’t let me mount anything

i’ve already seen this, i figured out how to boot off the live version of manjaro. now i need to know what to do to get my machine back up and functioning.

This is a long video where is graphically explained how chroot works, the fixing explanation starts at 9:20, good luck fella!

mhwd-chroot was not found in my machine. is there a step y’all are failing to show me? i mean, seriously.
i am a n00b at this, that is why i came here for help.
i figured out how to boot my usb device, and now i need to know what do do next in the chroot process. because it seems as though i need a step by step instructor on this issue.

Both your link and video are not Manjaro centric. I think I already saw you posting these, but this is not specifically for Manjaro.

The Manjaro WIKI has proper information. GRUB/Restore the GRUB Bootloader - Manjaro

As simple as a single command to start chrooting from live USB.

Come on guy, first of all try to calm down yourself, the link I shared with you before (How to `chroot` Into a Broken Linux Installation - rmaicle) is a step by step explaining the chroot process, just follow the instructions (READ), good luck fella!

This tutorial is from 2016 xD However… on the current Manjaro Install Disk it is

manjaro-chroot -a

It is a helper script, which search, mount and chroot.

And to be clear, you just use that command, and that’s all, select your system to chroot, and you’re done, nothing to mount manually or whatever the linked outdated not for Manjaro tutorial explains. Do the command, select system, you’re chrooted.

ok at least I’d wait that our partner to have some initiative to get the basic commands info, I have fixed some problems in Manjaro with information taken from sites with content not specifically for Manjaro, maybe you’d like to go to his home to fix his problem!!!

No thanks. But giving proper information would be a good start.

:wink:

1 Like

You’re forgetting that some commands and methods to fix problems are cross distro compatible, one of the mean reasons most of people don’t want to migrate to GNU/Linux is because it implies start learning (seriously learning) and I think this guy is looking for easy things, don’t promote that lack of compromise.