Manjaro Bspwm 17.0.5-rc

community-edition
bspwm
manjaro-architect

Manjaro community is proud to present the newest release canditate of bspwm community edition, keyfeatures of which are minimalism, flexibility and command line usage.

Bspwm edition is currently our lightest offering, designed to work fluidly even on older hardware. Only gtk3 toolkit is used for graphical applications. From selection of software to choice of fonts, everything is designed to cause minimal overhead both in ram and processor usage. This ensures that your computer is using most of its resources on what you have actually tasked it with. In both resource usage and workflow, bspwm edition stays out of your way and let’s you focus on your work.

Bspwm edition is designed to be easy to operate with either mouse or keyboard, or any combination thereof. It manages windows in sane manner without user interaction, but also provides absolute control over them. Bspwm is one of the most configurable and scriptable environments available, and this edition showcases this with addition of openbox style desktop menus and many helpful scripts. The edition features extensively commented configuration files.

One of the goals of Manjaro is beginner friendliness, and bspwm edition aims for this specifically in command line usage. It includes many easy to use command line utilities for everything from system administration to music, excellent tab completion and syntax highlighting everywhere.

The edition uses manjaro-architect as the installer. This means that the installed system is always up to date, and you can install any manjaro edition from here, with unparalleled level of configuration.

Changes since last release:

• installer: manjaro-architect
  • browser: chromium
  • terminal: st-manjaro (preconfigured st+tmux)
  • pulseaudio

Known issues:

• brigthness keys cause system freeze, fixed with the next update
  • gap is sometimes drawn between panel and windows. Restarting x fixes this. Some users report that this does not happen after 3. reboot.

The iso is available for download here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarotest-community/files/bspwm/

As a point of interest, bspwm edition was one of the original motives behind writing manjaro-architect. It is also how I pictured manjaro-architect being used: in a minimalistic desktop environment, with filemanager, browser and graphical partitioning application to help with installation.

Well, let us hope it inspires others to adopt a similar approach to other DE/WMs. I’d be particularly interested in a i3 edition that isn’t a bloated feature circus like the current i3 CE, which makes it even more bundled than Manjaro itself. Currently I am running my own i3 iso. But would love if someone took off me the need to make and maintain my own ISOs.

@oberon has a somewhat different approach to this, and judging by the userbase, there is certainly a demand for the maximal approach as well.

At one point there were talks of a minimalistic manjaro tiling edition, with bspwm, awesome and i3 bundled, but it was not realized. Also, the future sway edition is also going to be minimalistic, but that is still in the future. And revival of awesome edition kind of failed with the limited resources.

My main difficulty is the lack of ability to commit myself. I just don’t have the time or the motivation. And so I would risk the project by not giving it the maintenance it requires. Heck, sometimes I have trouble maintaining my own ISOs. And since I also use Architect as a base, you know how easy that normally is to do. So, as much as I would like it, I just cannot be the one doing it.

I’ll keep waiting for someone to make a sensible i3 distribution.

It happens again. A workaround would be to add
sleep 1 && bspc config top_padding 10 &
to .config/bspwm/autostart.

Another issue is that the update-notifier script freezes the desktop for two seconds. I would start it with a sleep 10 offset (also in the WiFi script in the panel if this still applies).

That’s weird. Update-notifier should trigger only after internet connection is established. I’ll look into it.

It does, but there should be some more delay.

This is strange, there is a similar line in autostart, but without the & at the end. Sometimes there is a gap below the panel, sometimes not. I added the & and will see how it behaves,

I just clean installed the distro on an HP-G5 Laptop new. But, it’s a pity. The system freezes and stopping every time than a open the terminal for qutebrowser (I use only terminal applications). I thought it was because of my Atom editor absurdly installed (and because other distros with tiling window manager reports unstability with it downloaded from Aur; for example, ArchMerge-I3), but it’s not. That’s happening with the RC and with Stable Release, on a Laptop Intel and on a Desktop Amd. Something is going wrong here. So, I get out of here and get back to Manjaro-I3. Sorry.

That is unfortunate. Did you try using another terminal?

I only use urxvt and xterm because i have a linux cli mode of workflow, with neomutt, ranger, emacs, vim and qutebrowser all my day. I have proved with both terminals, even with a RoxTerm, and in both, Laptop and Desktop I have the same problems: total freezing. Try a basic and common fresh without tweak quick installation today on a basic Amd A-4 Dual-Core or in basic laptop, and you will see it.

Sad. Btw, have you tried installing dbus-x11? Just a poke in the dark.

Now I tried again reinstalling the system, correcting X11 variables, reinstalling carefully, and nothing. The terminal freezes again and again when I try to use qutebrowser browser (nothing more than that). It tell me that X11 is broken. Curiously, the system doesn’t update/upgrade nothing, fresh installed. And the bspwmrc file does not keep the changes after the rebootings… Please, let me know if someone else have the same problems recently. Please, install a normal fresh system on these days.

Whoa, how is that even possible? The bspwm-session should copy a new bspwmrc if there is none, but it should not overwrite an existing file.

What does the error log say?