Manjaro as server os

Hi,

i have found manjaro as one of the top ten linux os on chip .de.
I have orderd a vs2-free vps on euserv .com.
Now my question how can i install manjaro as server os on my vps?

Manjaro is intended for Desktops. It’s not a good choice for a server. Maybe use on of the options your hoster provides for you.

You can only use what your cloud provider err… provides. It’s very seldom for a cloud provider to allow any random OS image they haven’t tested themselves, because usually it’s not a generic one, but rather a snapshot with all hardware drivers configured already. Installing from a snapshot is also significantly faster as it’s just an identical bit per bit copy. A different story when you have physical access to the server, then just install as you would on a desktop/laptop using a flash drive, for example.

Manjaro is rolling which isn’t for servers generally speaking (there’re smaller, leaner and more suitable options for that), I guess you could pick a stable point in time and stay at that. Also not sure that Manjaro has any command line install though I’m guessing that shouldn’t be too hard to script (if it doesn’t exist). Manjaro is Arch and arch has a known and tested CLI installation. IMHO you should be better off with something else.

Better hoster let you upload a image that then can be used to install any OS. For vps’s, it depends a little bit on the virtualization technology, but many modern hoster use kvm, which works with all Linux distributions.

But euserv is not one of them, so the op really doesn’t has a choice, but there is an Arch image available.

this is a bad choice as already explained. a rolling-release is the worst choice to run a stable server. there are better choices like debian to do this job.

Well - we are some which uses Manjaro as server OS - also on RPI.

We are currently testing some new functionality for Manjaro.

For that purpose I have setup an unofficial Index of /repo/ - a modest RPi 4B 2G and 500G ssd using Manjaro arm-unstable.

$ uname -a
Linux pw1 6.1.25-1-MANJARO-ARM-RPI #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 24 17:52:09 UTC 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Compare to another unofficial mirror Index of /repos/manjaro hosted with a major provider on whatever pizza server they are running Linux on - my control panel says 4 cores, 2G RAM and 200G disk

$ uname -a
Linux linux16.unoeuro.com 3.10.0-962.3.2.lve1.5.78.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Feb 17 08:16:56 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
1 Like

Currently we only offer ISOs with a graphical installer. In Server world you need one via CLI. Also there no rootfs for x64 architecture. However you can use docker images we provide.

Why would you install Manjaro when you are offered Archlinux?

Technically you can switch to Manjaro - but there’s no gain.

Server = Debian POINT

Hi,

thanks for help. I have contacted the support of euserv .com. They say that it is possible to install my own os via rescue system. The origin os is mounted under /mnt/custom . Is where manjaro pendant to debians:

debootstrap bullseye /srv/chroot/debian http://deb.debian.org/debian

I grew tire of borked dist-upgrades and have been running Manjaro ARM minimal on my RPI4 for quite a while now and it’s been working great. It’s running 11 Docker containers and I’m very happy with both stability and performance. Updates are coming about once a month, which is very reasonable. Granted, I’m running almost everything containerized, so that minimizes the things that can go wrong on the OS side, but still.

3 Likes

Hetzner supports now also ARM in their cloud. We have rootfs images for that architecture but didn’t create images yet for servers.

Hi,

is there a way. To extract the rootfs of the docker container? I need the raw files. How can i find the manjaro docker container?

Hi,

i want to use my server on euserv because its free(with the exception of the one-time setup fee of 2.38 EUR that i have already payed).