Manjaro arm on Amlogic Tv box?

Hi,

following the updated wiki for amlogic TV boxes (thanks @danboid) I have installed “Manjaro-ARM-xfce-am6-plus-22.03.img.xz” to an sd-card, changed the dtb to meson-sm1-x96maxplus-vim1000m.dtb in uEnv.ini and my X96Max+ (with RTL8822CS wifi chip) boots without problem and the install process was very smooth. What a great experience - top job!

Sound works out of the box and after installing linux-khadas-headers, bc and dkms-rtl8822cs packages and running sudo modprobe 88x2cs wifi works as well and I achieve (both wired and unwired) about 120 MBits/s close to our router which has a max speed of 150 Mbit/s.

For testing purposes I have also installed linux-odroid kernel:

• mouse is hanging/not drawn for a timespan of about 1-2 seconds. This happens about every 5-10 seconds.
  • sound works
  • wifi works
  • 2560x1080@75Hz → works well
  • 2560x1080@60Hz → screen flickers

Because of the mouse problem I have switched back to linux-khadas kernel.

With both kernels I have the following problem:
For a screen resolution of 1280x720 and resolutions below which do not have a 4:3 aspect ratio everything is displayed greenish. I saw this years ago when I was still using Armbian. This always happened when I burned an sd card and forgot to copy uboot.ext to the root partition of the sd card. Since am6-plus image does not use uboot.ext anymore I wonder if the problem is connected with the new boot loader?
I would also like to have 2560x1080 resolution in linux-khadas kernel if possible :smile:

But all in all this is a great update! Many thanks to the whole Manjaro team and @spikerguy !

P.S. @spikerguy : Could you please add bc to the list of dependencies in dkms-rtl8822cs? Thanks!

1 Like

Great. Thanks.

If not mistaken, @tobetter linux-odroid kernel have included the hardware cursor patch which seems to have issue on Xorg but works well on Wayland.

1 Like

Sure.

Will update that on the weekend.

Thanks!

Thank you for the hint. You are right: after installing KDE Plasma, Wayland, SDDM and linux-odroid I was able to start Plasma(Wayland) and the mouse problem is gone.

But I have problems with graphical glitches e.g. in the settings manager (both with mesa and mesa-git)

And I have another problem when using mesa-git. Then after boot sddm only shows a white screen and the mouse. I can login by typing in my password however.

So again, I switched back to linux-khadas, lightdm and XFCE.

Here is a screenshot. I have the problem both using XFCE and Plasma.

I have been on Manjaro-Arm-Gnome (Wayland) since June 2021 with mesa stable (currently mesa 21.3.7) and monitor resolution 1920 x 1080. It had been a positive experience. In general my experience had been Wayland session runs smoother than Gnome-Xorg or XFCE with mesa 21.3.y.

In X11, the mouse pointer does flicker for example when browser is is loading a page. When I was using Manjaro XFCE with mesa I don’t seem to have the issue you are facing.

But recently on Mesa 22.0.0 on Ubuntu Fcoal/Impish on Wayland Session Firefox 96 and Firefox 98 when playing video or running webglsamples visual artifacts/flickering does occur when selecting the “Top Bar Menu Icons Menu”. On Mesa 21.3.y or Mesa 21.2.y No issues.

To summarise with Mesa 21.3.7 Gnome-Wayland works best on GT King Pro (S922X)

Edit: With Mesa 22.0.0 or Mesa 21.3.7 on Focal/Impish XFCE/Gnome-Xorg in general works well too just mouse pointer flickers sometimes.

Mesa 22.0.0 seems to works better than Mesa 21.3.7 on Xorg/XFCE Session.

@spikerguy,

Just updated to linux-khadas-5.16.17-1 from linux-5.16.11-1. First boot up on linux-5.16.17-1 freeze on Gnome-Desktop. Power cycle, it restarted with no issues.

Will keep you updated. Is the shutdown and reboot resolved?

On other distro using u-boot.ext i can now reboot on USB on OTG USB Port.

Hi @spikerguy

Seems to be having problem using mpv to strean youtube video with hardware acceleration. Use to be able to do it without problem.

Both in Gnome-Wayland or Gnome-Xorg always get this “Segmentation fault (core dumped)”.

mpv --hwdec=v4l2m2m-copy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqpev0snAAQ
 (+) Video --vid=1 (*) (h264 1280x720 29.970fps)
 (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=eng (*) (aac 2ch 44100Hz)
     Subs  --sid=1 --slang=en 'vtt' (webvtt) (external)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

mpv --hwdec=auto https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqpev0snAAQ
 (+) Video --vid=1 (*) (h264 1280x720 29.970fps)
 (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=eng (*) (aac 2ch 44100Hz)
     Subs  --sid=1 --slang=en 'vtt' (webvtt) (external)
[vaapi] libva: /usr/lib/dri/v4l2_request_drv_video.so init failed
Cannot load libcuda.so.1
[vaapi] libva: /usr/lib/dri/v4l2_request_drv_video.so init failed
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_meson.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
1 Like

@spikerguy

But mpv can play with hw acceleration on local hdd h264 movies.

  jflim@jflim-gtkpro    mpv --gpu-context=wayland --hwdec=v4l2m2m-copy '/run/media/jflim/Elements/Movies/English Movies/300.Rise.Of.An.Empire.2014.1080p.BluRay.x264-BLOW[rarbg]/blow-300.rise.of.an.empire.2014.1080p.bluray.x264.mkv' 
 (+) Video --vid=1 (*) (h264 1920x800 23.976fps)
 (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=eng (*) (dts 6ch 48000Hz)
     Subs  --sid=1 --slang=eng 'English SDH' (subrip)
     Subs  --sid=2 --slang=eng 'English' (subrip)
[vo/gpu/wayland] GNOME's wayland compositor lacks support for the idle inhibit protocol. This means the screen can blank during playback.
Using hardware decoding (v4l2m2m-copy).
AO: [pulse] 48000Hz 5.1(side) 6ch float
VO: [gpu] 1920x800 nv12
Invalid video timestamp: 0.000000 -> 0.000000
AV: 00:03:03 / 01:42:36 (3%) A-V:  0.000 Dropped: 2 Cache: 106s/150MB

And yet mpy cannot stream Youtube h264 or vp9 videos using yt-dlp. I can understand hw acceleration might not work well on vp9 videos (used to work fairly well) but not stream h264 Youtube videos with hw acceleration is something else.

Currently on linux-khadas-5.16.17-1 kernel.

1 Like

Is there a way to install 2 kernels on Manjaro-Arm and able to select which to use? For example currently on linux-khadas-5.16.17-1 would like to also to install mainline linux-5.17.1-3 to see whether this kernel will resolve the Shutdown issue on GT King Pro.

Currently not possible but once we have uefi and then grub maybe then we will have kernel switcher like in x86.

Hi @spikerguy
I think you might have answered this before. Would like to check whether your bootscript firmware works with mainline linux-5.17.1-3. Objective is to see whether it will resolve the Shutdown and Reboot issue on GT King Pro when the firmware is flash on USB drive and boot from OTG USB Port.

Currently, with linux-khadas-5.16.y kernel it does not Shutdwon cleanly (Power LED still ON) and does not Reboot.

1 Like

With the old chainloading method (and using hexdump’s builds of u-boot.ext) this is very easily done. I have been using a muli-os setup on an SD card on my Ugoos for a long time; the steps are outlined here forum.armbian.com. (In particular, I have several kernels available for booting on Manjaro.)

However, I guess UEFI and Grub is the way to go forward.

P.S: Later kernels cannot boot from SD using chain loading, but can chain load boot from USB.

Edit: I think it would be good if the install process doesn’t delete the old kernel files (the unpacked vmlinuz, initrd and module tree), but kept at least one older generation of the kernel files on disk when upgrading. This would make it easier for a user to manually fix a non-booting upgraded kernel. (I know the old package is in /var/cache/pacman/pkg and the old kernel files can be retrieved from there, but still…)

1 Like

@tripole Thanks. Read your work a while ago.

Hi @spikerguy

An update. Switch to mainline linux-5.17.1-3 and boot up from OTG USB Port on GT King Pro. Power Off still did not shutdown properly and Reboot still does not work. Previously with mainline linux kernel but using chainloader u-boot.ext, it shutdown properly.

With mainline linux-5.17.1-3 default MIN_SPEED= 1 GHz and Governor=schedutil does seems to cause/have regular temporary freeze when you run Webglsamples Aquarium. This could be related to “governor=schedutil” issue with Amlogic SOC that some had referred to.

Edit: I missed out the key info on “Regular Temporary Freezes” on Webglsamples Aquarium. This is on Chromium “Ozone Wayland Enabled” and on Gnome Wayland Sessioin and mesa 21.3.7 Have not tried on Xorg Session.

Noticed this also on Debian Bullseye Gnome Wayland Session on mesa 21.3.7.

Hi everybody,
@JFL i switch to mainline kernel too, i have same problem of reboot and shutdown not working. led not working too and power button not working. i’am on sheduled governor too but gl aquarium seem run fine ~30fps with 1000 fishs.
@tripole is the spdif output working for you please?
does the emmc work? and as said above, can you reboot, shutdown, use the power button?
@spikerguy watching a youtube video with hdmi sound on causes a complete crash, everytime.
I also get random I/O write errors on the emmc with kernel 5.17
Cordially

1 Like

@Dams2000 The power button does not work but I can reboot using the “reboot” button in xfce. I don’t know about the emmc (I only use install on SD). The spdif is present in alsamixer (and the volume can be mainipulated) but spdif is not present (anywhere, where I can see) in the pulseaudio volume control gui-thingy.

Edit: The kernel that I’m running (on my Ugoos Am6 plus?) is 5.14.10-1-MANJARO-ARM (I think this is a vim kernel) and it is running well.

Please specify the kernel package.
Output of uname -a can help.

thank, i think you are using the mainline kernel, at least mine has the same name 5.17.1-2-MANJARO-ARM(64-bit).
what dtb file are you using please ?