Manjaro arm on Amlogic Tv box?

@spikerguy Does the new u-boot.ext now work with USB Boot drive with additional USB Flash or USB HDD on device?

It does looks like xfce compositor interfere with Panfrost, with xfce compositor “enabled”, LibreOffice Impress does crash on slide show mode on one of my “pptx” file. With the xfce compositor turn off, the slide show runs without issue.

Run on another distro without Panfrost, xfce compositor “enabled” or “disabled” have no effect on LibreOffice slide show.

Came across your post. I reported the bug that you mentioned - not sure if you found a solution already but for me the fix for the panfrost errors was change to linux-rc branch (5.11) and switch to git mesa master branch. mesa-git on the manjaro repository won’t be recent enough

@nerofire, Thanks for the information. Are you referring to the LibreOffice Impress crash with xfce compositor “enabled” or to “gpu schedule timeout error”?

Is linux-rc 5.11.rc7 stable enough for daily use? Are there visual glitches on xfce with Panfrost with linux-rc-5.11.rc7?

My bad - I was referring to the panfrost errors in dmesg.
I’ve had 5.11.rc4 for ~2 days now (stayed in stable branch), and it seems acceptable - my Khadas VIM3 is my daily driver currently. I guess you could easily switch back if you end up not liking it. Still get the occasional glitches, it’s not perfect, but it’s not as bad as before though. I’m using KDE, but I imagine the changes translate to xfce

Thanks for the info. Good to know that linux-rc-5.11 is stable for daily use.

Edit: Is KDE-Plasma-Wayland running smoothly on 5.11.rc4?

I have a X88 King and tried to install manjaro to an sd card.
I used “meson-g12b-odroid-n2.dtb” and “meson-g12b-ugoos-am6.dtb”. I was able to compete the boot process and initial actions (user, password etc) through SSH, because I had no mouse or keyboard usable in it. It seems that the USB ports are not available.
I even used the dtbs for GT King with the same result (no mouse and keyboard).
It seems that I have to find/make another dtb file. Is there any help if I already have the dtb files from Android firmware or Coreelec (in dtb or dts format)? I already have them available. Thank you.

I think you should first test all meson-g12a-…, meson-g12b-… and meson-sm1-… dtbs and see if one of it boots your box and has working USB.

It is possible to gain some information from the android/coreelec dtbs but it is quite difficult because they are tailored for a 4.x kernel.

Thank you for your answer. I already did that with no resutlt. It either boots with no USB ports (although if I insert a USB stick it momentarily flashes-so it must have at least power) or it stops booting at a certain point.
I have decompiled the “dtb” files to “dts” format of Android firmware and Coreelec, but as you already said I am not able to have any help (or hint of what to change) from them.

You might try the following:

• Decompile “meson-g12b-ugoos-am6.dtb” to “meson-g12b-ugoos-am6.dts”.

• Change line 2983 to: dr_mode = “otg”;

• Compile to .dtb and use the new .dtb for booting.

Might help or might not. Can you upload the Android .dts?

Android dts files:
**tps://mega.nz/file/Jxs1FICb#D5CcT5EH6k5WIG5tV0A5rfdZMb3ItDyLqxLTCP0a0t8

**tps://mega.nz/file/g89zCabQ#4OJxRG6tCn4hnPRPaYi_HTJlYnL2BQV6ppCHrvX10zY
**=ht
It sems that I am not permitted to upload links??

I also changed dr_mode to “otg” at line 2983 , but with no difference as to getting a functioning mouse/keyboard.

New mesa-git and latest linux in unstable is looking good for G52.
Do test it out and share the feedback

Installed the latest linux-5.10-16-1 (replacing linux-vim-5.10.8-1). No more GPU Sched timeout error and GPU: Unhandled Page Fault but glmark2-es2 score is much lower lower now.

Good news is no visual glitches.

LibreOffice Impress 7.0.4.2 still crashes on Slide Show mode with linux-5.10.16-1.

Edit: With CPU performance set to “Performance”, glmark2-es2 improved significantly.

@spikerguy

Testing linux-5.10.16-1 and latest mesa-git from Unstable Branch. I noticed these errors in dmesg. Is there anything of concern?

[ 520.014616] panfrost ffe40000.gpu: AS_ACTIVE bit stuck
[ 643.023693] panfrost ffe40000.gpu: AS_ACTIVE bit stuck
[ 1073.109205] ieee80211 phy0: brcmf_proto_bcdc_query_dcmd: brcmf_proto_bcdc_msg failed w/status -110
[ 1073.109224] ieee80211 phy0: brcmf_cfg80211_get_station: GET STA INFO failed, -110

@spikerguy
I just tried “for_linux-vim-5101.tar u-boot.ext” use it on SD Card, with SD Card indeed it can boot up with another USB Flash drive or USB HDD attached to GT King Pro USB port.

Just to give a complete picture of the “for_linux-vim-5101.tar u-boot.ext” ability to boot up on Beelink GT King Pro.

1. Boot image on SD Card, it can boot up successfully with USB Flash or USB HDD connected to other USB 3.0 port.

2. Boot image on USB Flash drive, it can only boot up successfully if USB Flash Boot image inserted on USB OTG port but without any other USB drive connected to any of the USB 3.0 ports.

3. Boot image on USB Flash inserted on a USB 3.0 Hub and the USB 3.0 Hub connected to any of the USB 3.0 ports but No other USB drive connected any of the other USB ports. With this method, the USB Flash image drive will heat up fast on the USB 3.0 Hub.

4. Boot image on USB Flash drive, it will NOT boot up if it is inserted into any of the USB 3.0 directly.

5. Boot image on USB Flash drive, it will not boot up even if inserted on USB 3.0 Hub and USB 3.0 Hub connected to USB OTG port. Infinite Boot Loop.

2 Likes

Hi @TheMojoMan nice job on getting rtl8822cs up. I have installed manjaro on my x96 max plus. I have compiled module and insmoded it, now in ip a i have wlan0, but it do not see any nwtworkes, any idea?
EDIT: Sorry it was my bad, wrong dtb

1 Like

@spikerguy

Burned a fresh Manjaro-VIM3-XFCE 20201220 on a SD Card with linux-vim 5.9.8.2, to avoid kernel panic on GT King Pro, first I install the new boot-vim3 20.10-1 to use the new u-boot.ext which also convert the boot up using extlinux.conf instead of uEnv.ini.

Then “sudo pacman -Syu”, system update to linux-vim 5.10.5-1, just for your info the sound is loss after update to linux-vim 5.10.5-1, the issue is due to the g12_sound.sh Amlogic New Conf being used. Edit to revert to Amlogic Old Conf, and system enable sound and reboot sound return.

Subsequently install "sudo pacman -U http://mirror.easyname.at/manjaro/arm-unstable/core/aarch64/linux-5.11.0-3-aarch64.pkg.tar.zst http://mirror.easyname.at/manjaro/arm-unstable/extra/aarch64/mesa-git-21.1.0_devel.135076.a740318e425-1-aarch64.pkg.tar.zst to install the latest linux 5.11.0-3 and mesa-git from Unstable Branch.

Had errors:

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
linux-firmware: /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4356-pcie.bin exists in filesystem
linux-firmware: /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4356-pcie.gpd-win-pocket.txt exists in filesystem
linux-firmware: /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4356-sdio.bin exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

But resolved by renaming the existing conflicting brcmfmac4356 files and kernel update to linux-5.11.0-3 and mesa-git without further issue.

Performance improved by following the tip (‘xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/vblank_mode -s xpresent’) from Panfrost Status on Odroid N2 - Page 4 - ODROID

1. XFCE without compositing seems to have regressed and also while doing the test noticed that with the recent mesa build the default compositing of xfwm4 which uses glx doesn’t works properly so to fix it I used xpresent xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/vblank_mode -s xpresent, the positive news is that now xfce with xpresent compositing is faster than running without compositing.

Good news is since linux-5.10-16-1 and now linux-5.11-0-3, the Panfrost visual glitches are gone.

LibreOffice Impress 7.0.4-3 still crashes on Slide Show Mode with Xfce Compositor “Enabled”.

1 Like

Let me first say that I am by no means an expert of device trees. I have just gained some limited knowledge by reading the DeviceTree Specification Release v0.3 and by experimenting with .dtbs.

If you want to fix the problem with the USB ports of your box be aware that you have to invest a lot of time and do the experiments yourself. You might gain a lot of knowledge on that journey which can be fun and very rewarding if you succeed…

I had a look in the Android .dts and tried to compare to the ugoos.dts. The following image might get you a jumpstart how to approach the problem: