Manjaro arm on Amlogic Tv box?

In Firefox with layers.acceleration.force-enabled = true, does the YouTube video has high dropped frames? When I tried it with linux-vim 5.9.8-2 and mesa-git or mesa 20.2.3 I have high dropped frames.

VP9 720p@30fps is working fine (very low dropped frames, resulting only when using the cursor to maximize) other resolutions play horrible because s905x3 doesn’t have the power for software decoding. Unless we have something like vaapi so we can use vdec with firefox I don’t think that is going to be better, because panfrost only can help with render.

In the armbian forum there has been some work about vaapi using libva-v4l2-request, but I don’t know what can be used with vdec Mainline VPU - Page 3 - Rockchip 3399 - Armbian forum

1 Like

In my case if all Firefox settings is at default that is no acceleration and Panfrost not activated, I have low dropped frames with 720p/60 and 1080p/30 videos and CPU usage is also at reasonable level (meson-vdec seems to be working).

Edit:
Firefox YouTube 720p/60 at view port at 1280 x 720:

Hi Spikerguy,

Just successfully updated to Stable-2020-12-30 system update (a large update size of 676MB) in one go. I can now confidently say the new u-boot.ext from LibreElec whad resolved the Beelink GT King Pro Kernel Panic issue. Have NOT reboot yet.

I notice your new boot-vim3-2020-10-1 u-boot.ext had replaced the LibreElec u-boot.ext. Taking your hint and my earlier experience when updating linux-vim 5.10.1-1, the extlinux.conf file had been modified by the system update thus need to edit the to boot with meson-g12b-gtking-pro.dtb.

Yes I think this is the same issue from the beginning u-boot.ext gets ignored due to its existence i will update all the pkgs and keep it default as before it needed manual intervention.

Thanks for informing.

Thanks, Reboot with success after Stable-2020-12-30 updates.

The boot-vim3-2020-10-1 u-boot.ext boot up linux-vim 5.10.1-2 after changing the extlinux.conf to boot with meson-g12b-gtking-pro.dtb instead on khadas-vim3.dtb.

Kernel Panic issue on GT King Pro seems resolved with your boot-vim3-2020-10-1 u-boot.ext too.

Thank you, great work
 Hope you are now fully recovered.

Happy New Year.

1 Like

Hi Spikerguy,

FYI, After the latest Stable-Update-2020-10-1, the Sound does NOT work anymore.
“systemctl enable sound --now”
“reboot”
The above CLI did not do the trick to get sound back.

Oh dear I completely forgot to update the sound script which i did before but that was too early.

I hope this is on linux-vim can you try the new script lines and see if it works for you?

Here is the new script.

It should work fine with this one.

Please share the output of aplay -l

[jfl@MNJROGTKPRO ~]$ /usr/bin/g12_sound.sh
G12BGTKINGPRO

[jfl@MNJROGTKPRO ~]$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: G12BGTKINGPRO [G12B-GTKING-PRO], device 0: fe.dai-link-0 () []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: G12BGTKINGPRO [G12B-GTKING-PRO], device 1: fe.dai-link-1 (
)
card 0: G12BGTKINGPRO [G12B-GTKING-PRO], device 2: fe.dai-link-2 (*)

[jfl@MNJROGTKPRO ~]$reboot

Edit: Still NO Sound after reboot.

Edit2: At least one Odroid N2 user had also highlighted NO Sound after the latest Stable-Update-2020-12-30.

I just tried it on vim3 now I will try it on Gt King Pro and report back.

Update: Yes it didn’t work on GT King Pro please comment out the new conf and keep the old conf for GT KIng pro until the dts is updated for GT King Pro and GS King X.
I see that the VIm3 dts and Gt King PRO dts have different HDMI routing so I will have to check with maintainers if it will continue to be this way then we might have to add more cases in the script.

Thank you for informing.

Do you mean use the old/previous “meson-g12b-gtking-pro.dtb”?

The extlinux.conf is currently as follows:
LABEL Manjaro
LINUX /Image
INITRD /initramfs-linux.img
FDT /dtbs/amlogic/meson-g12b-gtking-pro.dtb
APPEND root=LABEL=ROOT_MNJRO rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 bootsplash.bootfile=bootsplash-themes/manjaro/bootsplash

meson-g12b-gtking-pro.dtb.odl

meson-g12b-gtking-pro.dtb (after the latest Stable-Update-2020-12-30)

Edit: Update. Reboot by using the old/previous “meson-g12b-gtking-pro.dtb” still NO Sound.

I am not sure what you meant by “comment out the new conf and keep the old conf”

HAHAHA not the dtb.

Just edit the g12_sound.sh and edit like this.

# Amlogic G12 HDMI to PCM0 - OLD CONF
  mixer $card 'FRDDR_A SINK 1 SEL' 'OUT 1'
  mixer $card 'FRDDR_A SRC 1 EN' on
  mixer $card 'TDMOUT_B SRC SEL' 'IN 0'
  mixer $card 'TOHDMITX I2S SRC' 'I2S B'
  mixer $card 'TOHDMITX' on

# Amlogic G12 HDMI to PCM0 - NEW CONF
# mixer $card 'FRDDR_A SINK 1 SEL' 'OUT 0'
#  mixer $card 'FRDDR_A SRC 1 EN' on
#  mixer $card 'TDMOUT_A SRC SEL' 'IN 0'
# mixer $card 'TOHDMITX' on
#  mixer $card 'TOHDMITX I2S SRC' 'I2S A'

Commenting out the New config and enabling the old conf will fix the audio.

Thank you. Yes, confirm, Sound is back on after reverting to Amlogic Old Config.

Happy New Year. Stay Safe And Healthy.

1 Like

Happy New Year.
Thanks for the link.

I do have an old Armbian-Focal-20.10 (kernel 5.9.0) and the video on Firefox works ok with 720p/60, 1080p/30 and even 1440p/30 with low frame drops and reasonably CPU resource usage (at view port: 1280 x 720). I suppose meson_vdec is working (just assuming).

Your processor S922X-H (?) has more horse power than mine S905X3. I think they are both doing software decoding. So you can do 720/60 or even 1080p/30, but I can only go to 720p/30 (with no dropped frames). I got hardware acceleration rendering using panfrost, that helped not getting dropped frames and having a smooth video playing at 720p/30. So for doing better we have to use hardware acceleration decoding. The only way I see it without using mpv, is using firefox with vaapi. So if I’m not wrong for now we are not using meson-vdec with firefox.
Happy New Year

Status report on Ugoos AM6 plus, Stable 20.12.30:

I have now upgraded everything in this upgrade (including the kernel to 5.10.1-2-MANJARO-ARM (vim)) except for two packages:

khadas-utils-4-1 vim3-post-install-20201220-1

Everything works (yay!), just as before the upgrade.

However, if I install the two packages above my sound disappears (I think it is the g12b_sound.sh issue reported (and solved) above in the thread), caused by install of khadas-utils-4-1).

Edit: P.S. I do incremental upgrades where I first do something like
dd if=<card_dev> | xz -c > <mysavedimg>
to save a backup. If the upgrade (full/partial) is borked I can then do something like
unxz -c <mysavedimg> | dd of=<card_dev>
to restore.

Edit2: I’m using the Spikerguy-prepared meson-g12b-ugoos-am6-plus.dtb

Edit3: It appears also that the 1Gbit/s connection speed for eth0 works again (with Link Negotiation set to Automatic in Network Manager).

Just wondering is there a vaapi driver that works or enabled hw accel with Bifrost G31 or G52?

Edit: vaapi is for Intel GPU?

Need assistance in installing HP_LaserJet_1020 on Manjaro-ARM-VIM3-XFCE.

1. First I tried to install hplip-gui but found out in Manjaro repo there is no hplip-gui, so installed hplip (successful).

2. $ hp-setup (as expected System return error: Gui package not installed)

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.20.11)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright © 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

warning: GUI Modules PyQt4 and PyQt5 are not installed
error: hp-setup requires GUI support (try running with --qt3). Also, try using interactive (-i) mode.

1. $ sudo hp-plugin (unsuccessful - FYI without HP-Plugin LaserJet_1020 won’t print)

PLUG-IN INSTALLATION FOR HPLIP 3.20.11

Option Description

d Download plug-in from HP (recommended)
p Specify a path to the plug-in (advanced)
q Quit hp-plugin (skip installation)

Enter option (d=download*, p=specify path, q=quit) ? d

Do you accept the license terms for the plug-in (y=yes*, n=no, q=quit) ? y
warning: manjaro-arm distro is not found in AUTH_TYPES
Plugin installation failed
error: Plugin installation failed

Done.

Done.
[jfl@MNJROGTKPRO ~]$

1. Tried to locate “Printer Setting” in Setting Manager but cannot find “Print/Printer Settings”.

Need guidance. Thanks.

Hi Spikerguy,

You might have already know about the new u-boot ( boot-vim3-2020.09-1) issue but just in case, will provide you with my experience with your new u-boot.

Good part, it resolved Beelink GT King Pro Kernel Panic issue (at least on USB boot) and it works with the linux-vim 5.10.1-1.

The new u-boot at least on GT King Pro, it is very sensitive to what other USB drive or equipment is connected to GT King Pro. To give some examples:

1. Manjaro Boot Drive on let say USB 3.0 Port 3 and Keyboard and Mouse on USB 3.0 Port 1, it will go into infinite boot up loop (not booting up and reboot itself, on and on)
  2. Manjaro Boot Drive, Keyboard and Mouse all on the same USB 3.0 (using USB 3.0 Passive Hub) boot up without any issue.
  3. Manjaro Boot Drive, Keboard and Mouse all on the same USB 3.0 port 1 and Printer connected to USB 3.0 Port 3, it will either goes into infinite boot loop or boot up with error USB error -110 but can boot up after trying to resolve the error and complete the boot up or can complete the boot up.
  4. Manjaro Boot Drive, Keboard and Mouse all on the same USB 3.0 port 1 and USB HDD connected to USB 3.0 Port 2, will not boot up either infinite loop or stuck.

I want to test using the older u-boot that with linux-vim 5.9.8 (it will have kernel panic) but I want to see whether I can get it to complete the “hplip-plugin” installation and get the printer to work and then I will revert back to linux-vim 5.10.1-2.

How do I get install the linux-vim 5.9.8. It is not available in the Stable Branch anymore. Thanks.

It seems that I was wrong, I downloaded and manually installed mesa 21.0 from this repo archlinuxdroid : /archlinuxdroid/aarch64/
sudo pacman -U mesa-arm-git-21.0.0_devel.132980.c5973ede01c-1-aarch64.pkg.tar.zst
and now everything is much smoother, I can play youtube 1080p30fs with no dropped frames and even 1080p60fs with low dropped frames, so rendering with panfrost had (has?) more space for optimization

Edit The desktop is faster and until now I didn’t notice any error on XFCE (with composing disable)
Edit I’m very impressed with Panfrost driver, great work. Waiting for kernel 5.11 and more Panfrost optimizations.

1 Like