Manjaro arm on Amlogic Tv box?

Switched back to linux-vim 5.9.8-1 from linux 5.9.9-2. Did not notice much difference on KDE Plasma. Sound is back.

Initially I held back, but inspired by JFL’s tour de force I too decided to (edit: upgrade also the kernel and) install linux-vim 5.9.8-1 on my Ugoos AM6 plus (with system otherwise updated to 20.11.24 stable).

It works just great; everything works as it should, the system is stable, and the box runs a few degrees cooler than on 5.9.0-2 (with the same governor setting (schedutil) and freqeuency limits, see post above). Also, the panfrost gpu power-up errors are gone and dmesg gives this

Summary
[root@ubox ~]# dmesg | grep -i panfrost
[    4.569511] panfrost ffe40000.gpu: clock rate = 24000000
[    4.571277] panfrost ffe40000.gpu: supply mali not found, using dummy regulator
[    4.578746] panfrost ffe40000.gpu: mali-g52 id 0x7212 major 0x0 minor 0x0 status 0x0
[    4.586210] panfrost ffe40000.gpu: features: 00000000,13de77ff, issues: 00000000,00000400
[    4.594289] panfrost ffe40000.gpu: Features: L2:0x07110206 Shader:0x00000000 Tiler:0x00000809 Mem:0x1 MMU:0x00002830 AS:0xff JS:0x7
[    4.606033] panfrost ffe40000.gpu: shader_present=0x3 l2_present=0x1
[    4.627503] [drm] Initialized panfrost 1.1.0 20180908 for ffe40000.gpu on minor 0

Great work @spikerguy !

Notes: I still have to change a parameter in my dtb to make the SDIO bus talk to the WiFi chip (as outlined here) and the box requires cold starts, but these are minor issues. (The Khadas team applies a patch, I think this one, to handle the SDIO bus issue. However, unless the patch is actually still needed for a supported box like the VIM3, I don’t think it is worth considering.)

Edit: It seems I have lost 5GHz Wifi (2.4GHz still works) with the upgrade to 5.9.8 but this (or a similar) issue is not unique to Manjaro, it exists on e.g. Fedora too.

Ugoos agreed to send sample device, so once I have it then it will be properly supported :wink:

The crash issue must be mesa-git package issue as it started freezing badly since 21.0.1.

With panfrost or without?
Share inxi -G

Regarding the kernel panic, Neil from baylibre team have received his device so once he start testing it then maybe we might find the issue and get a solution for it hopefully soon.

1 Like

I did not try Panfrost when I was in KDE-Plasma linux 5.9.9-2 as was not sure whether Panfrost work with KDE-Plasma yet.

But I am on with Panfrost Xfce-linux 5.9.11-2 (Testing Branch 2020-11-24 updates) again today with the latest mesa-git. It works but with the same limitations as with the previous testing branch mesa-git. I do notice (hope is not my imagination, on Panfrost the text is a bit different, seems like a bit blur but not much, still legible). With gfx.webrenderer enable in Firefox 83, video basically freeze. Otherwise Firefox 83 is works with Panfrost but still feel typing/editing text a bit lagging.

Back with KDE-Plasma- linux-vim 5.9.8-1.

[jfl@MNJROGTKPro ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: meson-g12a-mali driver: panfrost v: kernel
Device-2: meson-g12a-dw-hdmi driver: meson_dw_hdmi v: N/A
Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting
resolution:
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.0 128 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 20.2.2
[jfl@MNJROGTKPro ~]$

[jfl@MNJROGTKPro ~]$ neofetch
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ jfl@MNJROGTKPro
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ ---------------
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ OS: Manjaro ARM Linux aarch64
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Host: Beelink GT-King Pro
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Kernel: 5.9.8-1-MANJARO-ARM
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Uptime: 54 mins
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Packages: 750 (pacman)
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Shell: bash 5.0.18
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Resolution: 720x576i
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ DE: Plasma 5.20.3
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ WM: KWin
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Theme: Breath2Dark [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2],
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Icons: breath2-dark [Plasma], breath2-dark [
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Terminal: konsole
CPU: (6) @ 1.992GHz
Memory: 1514MiB / 3628MiB

Thanks Spikerguy. Look forward to Neil (baylibre) finding a solution to resolve the GT King Pro kernel panic on mainline linux kernel.

I do need some guidance on how to install ttf-ms-fonts and ttf-office-2007-fonts on Manjaro. I have tried to use Manjaro Add/Remove Software manager to Build AUR package but unsuccessful with errors. Results posted in earlier posting.

Just an update:
TV Box: Beelink GT KingPro
KDE-Plasma-linux-vim 5.9.8-1 with Mesa 20.2.2
Governor=β€˜performance’ or β€˜schedutil’
On Firefox 83, Play YouTube video at 720p/60

Monitor temp and speed using cpu-temp-speed, cpu temperature rises very quickly from 50C/1992 Mhz to 85C/1992 Mhz and cpu speed start to throttle (drop) to 1895 Mhz to 1704 Mhz and temperature varies between 83C-86C.
Without hardware gpu/vpu acceleration playing video on Firefox or Chromium seems to lead cpu throttling and high cpu temperature.

Do need a solution for hardware vpu acceleration. Is a hardware vpu acceleration driver available?

These temps seem very high. Perhaps you should try and see what happens with a lower framerate. I have the same kernel (and mesa 20.2.2-2) on my Ugoos and on 720p/30fps yotube video with Firefox 83.0 it tops out at slightly over 40C (with 21C ambient temp, playing various β€œchanging scenery” videos).

Edit: Perhaps it depends (significantly) on the temp source that is being used. My script reads temps as

cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp

which I believe to be CPU (zone0) and MEM/DDR/SyS (or whatever you would like to call the reading from zone1). (You have to divide these readings with 1000 to get it in degC.)

Edit2: The second temp, which I believe to be MEM, tops out slightly higher, at about 47C.

Yes, at governor=β€˜performance’ setting playing video at 720p/60 and above temperatur goes up very fast and hit cpu throttle.

All temperature/speed reading is via cpu-temp-speed module/app.

Change setting to β€˜schedutil’ and play video at 720p/24 (720p/30) temp is a more comfortable range 50C-62C range (cpu speed range from 500-1992 Mhz). This on KDE-Plasma-linux-vim 5.9.8-1. Will check on the Xfce-linux-5.9.11-2 later to see whether any difference.

By the way, are on KDE or Xfce?

I’m on Xfce. I ran a script taking the CPU temp from (as in the post above)

/sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

side by side with the cpu-temp-speed program, and the two appear to give the same reading (within a degree or so). I guess this shows that we need hardware accelerated video playback when using higher frame rates in order to maintain more comfortable temps…

Edit: I see now that cpu-temp-speed is a script where its temp source is listed (explicitly).

Running Xfce-linux 5.9.11-2 (Testing Branch), default governor setting by kernel β€˜schedutil’. The video performance in this setting is much better than the KDE-Plasma-linux-vim 5.9.8-1 or KDE-Plasma-linux 5.9.9-2.

With Xfce-linux 5.9.11-2, playing video at 720p/60 the temp is in the range of 53C-58C cpu frequency range 1000=1992 (cpu percentage usage according to HTOP is about the same as KDE-Plasma-linux-vim 5.9.8-1 at 720p/24). I remember Xfce-linux 5.9.9-2 performance is about the same.

Based on this limited observations, Manjaro Xfce seems to more efficient in playing video than Manjaro KDE-Plasma settings.

I do understand KDE Plasma do use resources at desktop enviroment level but should not be that much different when running applications. Different drivers? May be Spikerguy can enlighten us with details and possibility guide us on how to enhance the KDE Plasma environment.

1 Like

Not in few years i guess. :mask:
Let’s hope for the best. Hevc will take long and vp8, vp9 have issues with buffering and skip video codes.

Temp is not bad but just play the device under some piece of metal and it should be fine. Arm cpu are capable or reaching 90+

Yesterday i was testing S912 with performance mode and made it reach 93Β°C while watching an hour long video

Also how do you see temperature?

Use our package
sudo pacman -S cpu-temp-speed

cpu-temp-speed will give you cpu speed and temp every 2 seconds.

I am using the cpu-temp-speed from Manjaro official repo, using Package Manager. Play video 720p/60 for less than 10 minutes. I can see the temp going up pretty fast on β€œperformance” setting playing video on Manjaro KDE Plasma but when I test the same video on Manjaro Xfce default β€˜schedutil’ the performance is much better both in terms of CPU usage and temperature range from 53C-58C cpu frequency range 1000=1992 Mhz.

Wanted to try playing video via MPV but I am not familiar at all. I copied a video link from YouTube example: Wolverine Adamantium Scene | X-Men Origins Wolverine (2009) Movie Clip - YouTube.
But it does not play. Need to install β€˜youtube-dl’ in order to stream video on MPV?

Exiting… (Errors when loading file)
[jfl@GTKPro ~]$ mpv Wolverine Adamantium Scene | X-Men Origins Wolverine (2009) Movie Clip - YouTube
[ytdl_hook]
[ytdl_hook] youtube-dl failed: not found or not enough permissions
Failed to recognize file format.

Exiting… (Errors when loading file)

Hi,
Updated to 5.9.8-1-MANJARO-ARM vim-linux
My old meson-sm1-sei610-2.dtb boots and I have sound.
Tried MPV with hwdec=yes
I get hwdec v4l2m2m-copy, on a 720p video, but I don’t think this is true hardware decoding from vdec driver, because the video looks like in slow motion, vsync is working

You can run mpv in a terminal and check what the output says. Usually mpv (somehow) detects β€œfakery” and reports about it. Edit: Maybe you already ran it in a terminal?

mpv --hwdec=auto test.mp4
(+) Video --vid=1 () (h264 1280x720 30.000fps)
(+) Audio --aid=1 (
) (aac 2ch 48000Hz)
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
[vo/gpu/opengl] Suspected software renderer or indirect context.
[vo/gpu/opengl] Suspected software renderer or indirect context.
[vo/gpu/vulkan/libplacebo] Failed creating instance: VK_ERROR_EXTENSION_NOT_PRESENT
[vo/gpu/vulkan/libplacebo] Failed initializing vulkan instance
[vo/gpu/vulkan/libplacebo] Failed creating instance: VK_ERROR_EXTENSION_NOT_PRESENT
[vo/gpu/vulkan/libplacebo] Failed initializing vulkan instance
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[vo/vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
[vo/xv] No Xvideo support found.
[vaapi] libva: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)
[vaapi] Failed to initialize VAAPI: unknown libva error
[vo/x11] Warning: this legacy VO has bad performance. Consider fixing your graphics drivers, or not forcing the x11 VO.
[vaapi] libva: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Using hardware decoding (v4l2m2m-copy).
AO: [pulse] 48000Hz stereo 2ch float
VO: [x11] 1280x720 nv12
AV: 00:00:00 / 00:00:30 (0%) A-V: 0.263

Audio/Video desynchronisation detected! Possible reasons include too slow
hardware, temporary CPU spikes, broken drivers, and broken files. Audio
position will not match to the video (see A-V status field).

AV: 00:00:02 / 00:00:30 (8%) A-V: 0.000 Dropped: 66

Hmm… when I use --hwdec=auto I never get so far as your

I just get some [ffmpgeg/video] h264_v4l2m2m: output: POLLERR I guess I need to install something… Edit: My mpv always seems to fall back to some x11 VO, like yours seems to do, but it works quite well anyhow.

h264_v4l2m2m: output: POLLERR was what I always got until now.
I started from your image Manjaro-ARM-xfce-vim3-201117-3pole and updated the kernel to 5.9.8-1
I didn’t install until now any new package

wut? This is exactly the setup I have. Maybe it depends on the video (i.e. what is exactly inside the container, or something; I’m not so knowledgeable about these things (obviously)). Edit: My system is updated to the set of packages that came with 20.11.24 stable.

I tested in to different videos got the same result. I’m going to install nfs share client so I can access my NAS and test in other videos
:grinning: my problem is that I’m used to debian and don’t now how to do this in arch linux, let me google

1 Like