Manjaro arm on Amlogic Tv box?

Happy New Year.
Thanks for the link.

I do have an old Armbian-Focal-20.10 (kernel 5.9.0) and the video on Firefox works ok with 720p/60, 1080p/30 and even 1440p/30 with low frame drops and reasonably CPU resource usage (at view port: 1280 x 720). I suppose meson_vdec is working (just assuming).

Your processor S922X-H (?) has more horse power than mine S905X3. I think they are both doing software decoding. So you can do 720/60 or even 1080p/30, but I can only go to 720p/30 (with no dropped frames). I got hardware acceleration rendering using panfrost, that helped not getting dropped frames and having a smooth video playing at 720p/30. So for doing better we have to use hardware acceleration decoding. The only way I see it without using mpv, is using firefox with vaapi. So if I’m not wrong for now we are not using meson-vdec with firefox.
Happy New Year

Status report on Ugoos AM6 plus, Stable 20.12.30:

I have now upgraded everything in this upgrade (including the kernel to 5.10.1-2-MANJARO-ARM (vim)) except for two packages:

khadas-utils-4-1 vim3-post-install-20201220-1

Everything works (yay!), just as before the upgrade.

However, if I install the two packages above my sound disappears (I think it is the g12b_sound.sh issue reported (and solved) above in the thread), caused by install of khadas-utils-4-1).

Edit: P.S. I do incremental upgrades where I first do something like
dd if=<card_dev> | xz -c > <mysavedimg>
to save a backup. If the upgrade (full/partial) is borked I can then do something like
unxz -c <mysavedimg> | dd of=<card_dev>
to restore.

Edit2: I’m using the Spikerguy-prepared meson-g12b-ugoos-am6-plus.dtb

Edit3: It appears also that the 1Gbit/s connection speed for eth0 works again (with Link Negotiation set to Automatic in Network Manager).

Just wondering is there a vaapi driver that works or enabled hw accel with Bifrost G31 or G52?

Edit: vaapi is for Intel GPU?

Need assistance in installing HP_LaserJet_1020 on Manjaro-ARM-VIM3-XFCE.

1. First I tried to install hplip-gui but found out in Manjaro repo there is no hplip-gui, so installed hplip (successful).

2. $ hp-setup (as expected System return error: Gui package not installed)

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.20.11)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright © 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

warning: GUI Modules PyQt4 and PyQt5 are not installed
error: hp-setup requires GUI support (try running with --qt3). Also, try using interactive (-i) mode.

1. $ sudo hp-plugin (unsuccessful - FYI without HP-Plugin LaserJet_1020 won’t print)

PLUG-IN INSTALLATION FOR HPLIP 3.20.11

Option Description

d Download plug-in from HP (recommended)
p Specify a path to the plug-in (advanced)
q Quit hp-plugin (skip installation)

Enter option (d=download*, p=specify path, q=quit) ? d

Do you accept the license terms for the plug-in (y=yes*, n=no, q=quit) ? y
warning: manjaro-arm distro is not found in AUTH_TYPES
Plugin installation failed
error: Plugin installation failed

Done.

Done.
[jfl@MNJROGTKPRO ~]$

1. Tried to locate “Printer Setting” in Setting Manager but cannot find “Print/Printer Settings”.

Need guidance. Thanks.

Hi Spikerguy,

You might have already know about the new u-boot ( boot-vim3-2020.09-1) issue but just in case, will provide you with my experience with your new u-boot.

Good part, it resolved Beelink GT King Pro Kernel Panic issue (at least on USB boot) and it works with the linux-vim 5.10.1-1.

The new u-boot at least on GT King Pro, it is very sensitive to what other USB drive or equipment is connected to GT King Pro. To give some examples:

1. Manjaro Boot Drive on let say USB 3.0 Port 3 and Keyboard and Mouse on USB 3.0 Port 1, it will go into infinite boot up loop (not booting up and reboot itself, on and on)
  2. Manjaro Boot Drive, Keyboard and Mouse all on the same USB 3.0 (using USB 3.0 Passive Hub) boot up without any issue.
  3. Manjaro Boot Drive, Keboard and Mouse all on the same USB 3.0 port 1 and Printer connected to USB 3.0 Port 3, it will either goes into infinite boot loop or boot up with error USB error -110 but can boot up after trying to resolve the error and complete the boot up or can complete the boot up.
  4. Manjaro Boot Drive, Keboard and Mouse all on the same USB 3.0 port 1 and USB HDD connected to USB 3.0 Port 2, will not boot up either infinite loop or stuck.

I want to test using the older u-boot that with linux-vim 5.9.8 (it will have kernel panic) but I want to see whether I can get it to complete the “hplip-plugin” installation and get the printer to work and then I will revert back to linux-vim 5.10.1-2.

How do I get install the linux-vim 5.9.8. It is not available in the Stable Branch anymore. Thanks.

It seems that I was wrong, I downloaded and manually installed mesa 21.0 from this repo archlinuxdroid : /archlinuxdroid/aarch64/
sudo pacman -U mesa-arm-git-21.0.0_devel.132980.c5973ede01c-1-aarch64.pkg.tar.zst
and now everything is much smoother, I can play youtube 1080p30fs with no dropped frames and even 1080p60fs with low dropped frames, so rendering with panfrost had (has?) more space for optimization

Edit The desktop is faster and until now I didn’t notice any error on XFCE (with composing disable)
Edit I’m very impressed with Panfrost driver, great work. Waiting for kernel 5.11 and more Panfrost optimizations.

1 Like

This one is not available but let me check if I have it in my local storage.

It should be available in manjaro archieve which idk where is that located.

I don’t think it will help but you can always try.

After reading the error message again, you are most likely correct, the failure is due to " ```
warning: manjaro-arm distro is not found in AUTH_TYPES and the “pamac build hplip-plugin” does not seems to be recognized by Print Settings or HP Device Manager. Any other suggestion?

EDIT: Did a comparison of the “hplip-plugin” files, namely, “hbpl1-arm64.so” and “lj-arm64.so” in both Armbian-Focal and Manjaro-ARM-VIM3 they are the same size and I supposed is the same, the difference it that in Armbian-Focal the plugin is recognized and work but in Manjaro it does NOT.

Good the hear that Panfrost is working well with G31 GPU, hope it is the same for G52. Now you have tempted me to once again try out mesa-git from http://archlinuxdroid.tk/archlinuxdroid/aarch64/. Did you install mesa-arm-git 21.0 or mesa-bifrost-git 21.0? Any difference?

mesa-arm-git 21.0. The other one I think is for mali proprietary driver.
Try it, if you don’t like it you can revert back

Panfrost update:

Thanks to @Strit for finding the bad commit and patching it.
Now we have a better Panfrost support for G3x and G5x.

inxi -Fazy --no-host
System:
  Kernel: 5.10.1-3-MANJARO-ARM aarch64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0 
  parameters: initrd=/initramfs-linux.img root=LABEL=ROOT_MNJRO 
  rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 
  no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 
  bootsplash.bootfile=bootsplash-themes/manjaro/bootsplash 
  Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.20.4 tk: Qt 5.15.2 wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM 
  Distro: Manjaro ARM 
Machine:
  Type: ARM Device System: Beelink GT-King Pro details: N/A 
CPU:
  Info: 6-Core (2-Die) model: N/A variant-1: cortex-a53 variant-2: cortex-a73 
  bits: 64 type: MCP MCM arch: ARMv8 family: 8 model-id: N/A stepping: 4 
  microcode: N/A 
  features: Use -f option to see features bogomips: 0 
  Speed: 1992 MHz min/max: 100/1992:1908 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1992 
  2: 1992 3: 1908 4: 1908 5: 1908 6: 1908 
  Vulnerabilities: Type: itlb_multihit status: Not affected 
  Type: l1tf status: Not affected 
  Type: mds status: Not affected 
  Type: meltdown status: Not affected 
  Type: spec_store_bypass status: Vulnerable 
  Type: spectre_v1 mitigation: __user pointer sanitization 
  Type: spectre_v2 status: Vulnerable 
  Type: srbds status: Not affected 
  Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected 
Graphics:
  Device-1: meson-g12a-mali driver: panfrost v: kernel bus ID: N/A 
  chip ID: amlogic:ffe40000 
  Device-2: meson-g12a-dw-hdmi driver: meson_dw_hdmi v: N/A bus ID: N/A 
  chip ID: amlogic:ff600000 
  Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.10 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: modesetting 
  alternate: fbdev resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mali G52 (Panfrost) v: 2.1 Mesa 20.3.2 direct render: Yes 

This is on my GT King Pro running Mainline uboot and Mainline Kernel. There are glitches but it is better then before and no freeze so far.

Posted from GT King Pro.

2 Likes

Is kernel 5.10.1-3 Mainline kernel or linux-vim kernel on GT King Pro? Innocent question, what is the main difference between mainline kernel and linux-vim kernel? And is there any performace or functional difference when run on GT King Pro?

linux pkg didn’t check diff between the 2 kernel

Just check the Stable Branch, the available kernel is linux 5.10.2-1 and not linux 5.10.1-3. Does the linux-5.10.2-1 have the patching that you mentioned above?

Edit: mesa-20.3.2 is also not available yet in Stable Branch.

1 Like

Here they are :heart_eyes:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Panfrost-Mesa-21.0-Bifrost-AFBC

2 Likes

Just installed mesa-arm-git (21.0.0_devel.133168.e248119a82e-1)… from “archlinuxdroid repo” on Manjaro-ARM-VIM3-XFCE-linux-vim 5.10.1-2 and there is a “Warn about old perl modules”.

With linux-vim 5.10.1-2 kernel the visual/screen glitches is a lot worse than what I can remember on linux-vim 5.9.8-2 with the older mesa-git or mesa-arm-git and the gitches is more frequent.

May be need to upgrade to linux 5.10.1-3 but cannot locate it in Index of /manjaro/arm-unstable/core/aarch64 or Index of /manjaro/arm-testing/core/aarch64

But I can find linux 5.10.4-1 and linux 5.10.5-3. I supposed you are refering to linux 5.10.5-3.

Installing mesa-arm-git (21.0.0_devel.133168.e248119a82e-1)...
Running post-transaction hooks...
Creating system user accounts...
Reloading system manager configuration...
Applying kernel sysctl settings...
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter (explicit setting exists).
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/default/rp_filter (explicit setting exists).
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/all/accept_source_route (explicit setting exists).
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/default/accept_source_route (explicit setting exists).
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/all/promote_secondaries (explicit setting exists).
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/default/promote_secondaries (explicit setting exists).
Creating temporary files...
Reloading device manager configuration...
Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
Rebuilding certificate stores...
Warn about old perl modules
Updating the info directory fil
e...
A restart is required for the changes to take effect.
Transaction successfully finished.

Installed linux 5.10.5-3 and reboot with no issue. Now on linux 5.10.5-3 and mesa-arm-git (21.0.0_devel.133168.e248119a82e-1)…the latest from “archlinuxdroid repo”.

Found interesting results with “glxgears” with and without XFCE Compositor. Small window NOT full-screen.
With XFCE Compositor the performance dropped significantly to 37-42 FPS (gear movemen jerky) and XFCE Compositor Off/Disabled 51-60 FPS.

With glxgears I’m getting 58-60 FPS with XFCE compositor disable small or maximize window (I can’t compare now with compositor enable because I’m getting an error when turning it on, and I loss all the windows and I don’t know how to solve it).
With gnome on wayland I get 57-59 with small and maximized window (I think with gnome the compositor is allways on).
I’m using the same mesa-arm-git and linux-vim 5.10.1-1
With my laptop (i7 with intel iHD) In ubuntu gnome wayland I get 59-60
For now I’m not using kde plasma because is not working for me

I had the problem that my window buttons were missing after disabling the compositor. Turned out that xfwm crashed. Solution was to open a terminal, enter xfwm4& to start xfwm as a background task and reboot. If you do not get a terminal window anymore you might try Alt+F2 and run xfwm from there.

1 Like