Manjaro ARM Developer-Release with Plasma-Mobile (PinePhone)

I tried the new image yesterday. Its a big improvement :blush:
Some pain pointsā€¦

1. KDE Connect would be great to be in the base image.
  2. The bottom button bar sometimes disapears.
  3. The screen becomes half height at certain times.
  4. Angelfish its super crashy.
  5. Id love to have the option for the draw to be the launcher. It seems pointless to have to always drag that open to use an app.

Would just like to say I just tried Plasma mobile (dev image 201119) again for the first time since beta 1 and it just amazing how far it came in comparison. Thanks for all the hard work Manjaro and Plasma Mobile dev teams! :smiley: Where beta 1 felt like a big step back from the alphaā€™s, this feels like a huge step forward! GUI feels much smoother, applications load faster, much less crashes and bugs overall. The new app switcher is a huge (and very welcome) improvement and the virtual keyboard is much better as well!

Edit: Previously there was a paragraph here stating the virtual keyboard did not show up any longer. After a few reboots it now pops up again, donā€™t know why because I havenā€™t changed anything. Glad that itā€™s now working again anyway! :slight_smile:

I till think that itā€™s a good idea to have a button somewhere (like in the bottom right corner in Phosh) through which you can force the virtual keyboard to pop up.

hmm I am using [201107], because SIM is not working with [201119] image :frowning: ā€¦same on your side ?

Sorry for the late response! Iā€™ve actually switched to 201122, running from an SD-card. After writing the image to the SD-card I did the same as I described earlier; switch to unstable branch, update software, reboot (also changed passwords for root and manjaro users).

Running that my SIM works fine and network is detected perfectly! Calls work fine, SMS (Spacebar) also works fine! :slight_smile:

Some new observations:

Firefox now makes the virtual keyboard pop up (yay!), however Firefoxā€™s application window starts to ā€˜twitchā€™ almost immediately after starting, making it unusable unfortunately.

Also, I seem to be having some problems with charging. Iā€™m wondering if the phone goes into deep sleep properly when pressing the phoneā€™s power button?

The progress Plasma makes is great, kudos to Manjaro team.

Some notes about things that donā€™t work (tested after running update):

1. Firefox flickers so much it cannot be used. Also makes the keyboard pop up and stay up hiding the 3 interface buttons and blocking the bottom half of the screen.
  2. Phone book starts multiple copies of itself even if already opened. Other apps switch to the running version though, an example where it works is Phone.
  3. Bluetooth audio seems to crash when you start playing music. Music is heard for <1 second and then the bluetooth connection with speakers is lost. I was only able to test this with one app though since neither the Vvawe or Elisa seem to work. Vvawe wont start and Elisas ui isnā€™t properly scaled to the phone. Elisa seems very unstable as well.
  4. Pressing the power button to wake the phone seems quite unreliable, sometimes it doesnā€™t wake up at all and you have to press it again all other times it takes quite a while to wake up.
  5. This is probably something for KDE to fix but a power setting section in the settings app would be great to control screen timeout, right now it is frustratingly low, which is made worse by the unreliable wakeup when pressing the power button.
  6. Desktop widgets donā€™t remember their size between reboots. The clock widget is gigantic and you can make it smaller but it resets on next boot. Funny enough, if you rotate the screen back and forth once the widget corrects itself returning to the size that was set manually.
1 Like

Can you make wireguard work? You probably need to enable something in kernel build config
Iā€™m getting this error:

[#] ip -6 rule add not fwmark 51820 table 51820
RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported

Looks good, and runs smoothly on my pinephone, but certainly still a WIP. Some critical features are MIAā€¦modem is pretty unstableā€¦updates are pushed frequently, but often interrupt things like the modem and calls. Some apps arenā€™t scaling well to the screen, including modem manager and vlc, installed through discover. maybe a qt vs gtk thing, or wayland thing, not sure. All in all, I think that this is close to daily-driver, once the gps is figured out, and calls/sms are stable.

Im using 15th of december dev build. It has been all pretty damn nice, but my mobile connection does not work. Finland Telia. It shows APN internet internet and the tab there is greyed out so cannot press it and do anything.

It shows in up left that Telia and that it would be connected, but when i go to Angelfish there is no internet connection, same with terminal and other apps. With Wifi it works. I can help better if someone tells me how.

Of course some other stuff as well as dark theme not applying all around etc., but dev build so understandable. Keep up the good work guys. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where did you get the December builds?
There are no newer ones the nov (20/11/xx) from hereā€¦

I noticed the pinephone blog mentions the 5.10 kernel in the manjaro version of plasmaā€¦ Where can I find these images?

Edit: found this link for more images
https://kdebuild.manjaro.org/images/dev/?sort=time&order=desc

Lates build from 18-DEC-2020:

• modem does not work anymore and no updates or newer builds available. Is this tree closed or can we expect additional builds?

Looks to be packaging issue in ofonoctl as itā€™s reporting itā€™s missing the relevant python library. I fixed it on mine with:

sudo pip install ofonoctl
sudo systemctl restart ofonoctl

Edit:
It is still a bit finnicky though, as sometimes when ofonoctl.service starts it insists that there are no modems. I guess systemd is choosing to run it before ModemManager.service, hence the problems. In such a case you can restart the ofonoctl service manually and itā€™ll get the modem up and running again.

2 Likes

YEPP,

a big thank-you :wink:

installing ofonoctl and restarting the service brings modem back to life! Have You reported this on the BUGS page?

I believe it is already reported here: systemctl status shows that ofonoctl.service is degraded (#16) Ā· Issues Ā· manjaro-arm / issues / Pinephone / Plasma-Mobile Ā· GitLab

Outgoing calls do not work, regardless I make a trailing ā€œ00ā€ oder ā€œ+ā€ or nothing ā€¦

Somebody here with same experiences? Incoming calls work. Outgoing calls and SMS do not

you can find it in the drop-down menu

I just got my KDE Pinephone. Does anyone here run Vivaldi browser? Is there a way to get Firefox or Vivaldi to run in a mobile mode?

Also, anyone else having issues with things actually fitting the screen? For example, if I run Vivaldi/Firefox, its as if its in a desktop mode, but all the page runs off the phones screen. Some programs had this issue as well. Anyone dealt with this?

1 Like

Phosh dealt with that. Their installation of Firefox works great.
I donā€™t know. Something about Scale-To-Fit. You should find something if you search for it in this forum.

You can install the mobile-config-firefox package to have a better experience with firefox. Vivaldi might come later, as they donā€™t have yet the Pinephone as target. However, KDE will recommend to use Anglefish, as this will be the only fully supported browser by upstream. Also they prefer to use their KDE Gear Apps and keep using their software, than installing other GTK apps or programs of other sorts.

Only thing is clear: more apps will get developed with adaptive in mind.

2 Likes

Ok thank you.

For a entirely new Linux user like myself, how does one then delete an app from a kde pinephone? I would like to delete Vivaldi since its not mobile supported atm. But I am a total newb at Linux.

@Iwanttolinux

How did you install it?
You can open the ā€œDiscoverā€ app and remove it from there or remove it with ā€œpacmanā€ in terminal.

BTW.:
Angelfish is currently the best browser on Pinephone (in my opinion)

BTW2:
this thread is very old, lets move here:
manjaro-arm-beta4-with-plasma-mobile-pinephone/62363/5