Manjaro ARM Beta5 with Plasma-Mobile (PinePhone)

Yes, it sounds like the same scenario.

• My Device: PinePhone (Community Edition, 2 GB)
  • My image: Manjaro Beta 5 Plasma Mobile on 32 GB SD-card (update by pacman -Syyu)

Just flashed this to my sd card, been using mobian phosh for quite some time and decided I would check it out. Everything iā€™ve tried is working great besides updates, as thereā€™s some dependency issue (theres already an issue opened).

But my question is related to the typing suggestions. I see that swiping the keyboard down, and then back up again, makes the typing suggestions appear, it even accurately predicts the words, but when I tap to make them appear in the input, nothing happens.

Does it work for anyone?

Thank you for the major progress, Iā€™ve been a debian user for years, but this update has me considering switching everything to manjaro!

You guys rock!

Yes, this works for me (in English language, in the terminal app). Which app did you try?

In the terminal app the cursor already has the focus after opening it. Tipping twice into the black area (at the beginning or inbetween during input) activates the line (and function) of the typing suggestions.

Wanted to also try with Buho but Click here to create a new note didnā€™t work for me. Can you confirm that?
Also tried with Nota but Iā€™m not able to activate typing suggestions for it.

Could you please provide the link of it?

A hint had been given in the release notes that at the moment typing suggestions only work for English language. Did you try it with config American English?

I did a second reinstallation yesterday evening but then football had kept me in its gripā€¦ Sorry!
Today Iā€™ve done the update again by pacman -Syyu (PinePhone USB-connected to a 3.0 jack).
Itā€™s totally reproducible now that one update or a subset of those 257 updates messes up my installation before the update process ends.
In order to narrow down the candidates I took some photos of it:

__07_unlock-session-PC-screen
When gtk3 update was being installed (or maybe the update immediately after it) a misformed virtual keyboard suddenly folded out, changed several times and began to flicker. At that moment pressing the power key had no effect. About a minute later the (wrong ā†’ PC) unlock-session screen appeared. Then it became possible again to turn off and on screen by key. The PinePhone answers ping requests and reacts with the normal sound signal when being unplugged.
ssh hasnā€™t been configured, so it refuses any connection (on standard port 22).

Would it be helpful to get pacman.log from the SD-card and provide it here? Anything else that I could do?

The fix for the lockscreen issue has been found and fixed. Just wait for the mirrors to sync the fixed packages.

1 Like

O.K., thanks for the info! Are they already in testing?

They are in all branches.

Also just now, on a somewhat fresh boot. I booted, by plugging in the charger without even unlocking it, then unplugged at 80% and after opening Angelfish and coming to this page, not logged in, All of the action buttons are greyed out except the square, but pressing it does nothing.

Even tried pulling down the notification menu and opening settings to see if it would work then but nope.

I canā€™t post links but itā€™s issue 149 on the gitlab manjaro arm page.

The suggestions worked in the terminal by double clicking. They do not work in nota, and in buho I was able to create a note by clicking the + in the top right but the keyboard doesnā€™t register touches at all.

The suggestions bar pops up in telegram, but disappears after pressing a key.

If I can find a text editor that works with the suggestions, I think Iā€™ll be able to daily drive this. Iā€™ll just compose long messages, possibly in vim and then copy paste to wherever I need them.

I had the same as the last image from Kusgow. Was pretty terminal for me as i havent connected my pinephone to any other devices to allow me to fix (i guess i need to do that lol)
I have since flashed nightly Release 202106250247 and all seems to be working again.

My ā€œYesā€ was a little premature and has to be further qualified:

Iā€™ll try a summary of the current status of typing suggestions/text prediction now and hope you will correct me and add further details:

Terminal:

Plasma v5.21.5@Manjaro ARM beta5 for PinePhone:

• TS can be activated by tipping twice into the black area.
  • precise word suggestions from the underlying English dictionary are provided as soon as three or more letters of a word are entered,
  • but if you select one of those (by tipping on it) the suggestions disappear from the suggestions line, the typed initial letters also disappear from the text and the selected word is not inserted.
    (you can reproduce it with ā€œhisā€ for ā€œhistoryā€)
  • TS perfectly works for commands that are not in the English dictionary: first time you have to type the whole word, after that you will always get them as a suggestion, which is correctly inserted into the text when selected.
    (I used ā€œpacā€/ā€œpacmanā€ and others for testing it.)

=> with Plasma v5.21.5 TS in the terminal works for the ā€œlearnedā€ words (command names and others) but not for the initially known words (English dictionary). English only at the moment - (not tested)

Plasma v5.22.1@Manjaro ARM beta5 for PinePhone after updating:

• I couldnā€™t activate TS in the terminal anymore

Buho/Nota:
otellno and me didnā€™t manage to activate TS (the suggestion line in the virtual keyboard) in Buho and Nota. This may have do with those being Mauikit Applications (not native KDE applications), but this is only speculation.

Who knows more? Which apps did you use for testing? Did anyone test it with other images (Postmarket maybe)? Does it work with the current Phosh image?

I think this is one of the most important key features for any serious mobile device/OS.
In Android there are even suggestions for the next word before you enter its first letter (sometimes useful - sometimes not).
If we could reach such a comfort for Manjaro ARM (quasi offline - that means without help of a central sever) it would be absolutely great.

Release 202106260244 this release does not work

Dev images can have issues.

Regarding that specific image, it boots to First time setup, after that itā€™s just a back screen. But if you reboot the device, it works fine. :slight_smile:

I love the direction this is going, however I have one issue which keeps me on Phosh. Plasma defaults my APN settings to Telus which is the parent company of Koodo (my mobile network). Koodo requires setting the APN to sp.koodo.com for data to work. In Phosh, once I enter Koodoā€™s APN settings, it just works. Plasma lets me enter the correct APN settings as well however it refuses to use the newly entered APN and sticks to using the default Telus APN. :confused:

Hi
I ordered the pinephone beta with the convergence package(approx Ā£163) on the 5th June.
They dispatched it on the 25th June and it arrived with me in the UK on the 28th June.
The carrier DHL contacted me and there was a customs/handling charge of Ā£43.51 that I paid online. I was able to print copies of the taxes paid.
The phone took my UK tesco pay as you go sim and wifi, voice calls and texts all worked out of the box. First impressions good.
Avon

Contrary to Alfy I did again install the beta5 image and updated (smoothly). Quite some time after it I can definitely confirm that the unlock-session screen and boot problem is fixed. Great work! :+1:

Another issue of which Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s upstream or not is very annoying:
While/Although actively using the system the screen becomes suddenly much darker (the predefined minimum maybe). It even remains darker after a reboot.

Iā€™ve already had this before updating (to plasma v5.22.1) but there was a workaround:
Moving the brightness slider to the left and then back restored the preset brightness.

Since having updated to plasma v5.22.1 I am missing the brightness slider in the preferences window (by swiping down from the top) and I havenā€™t found another workaround for it, yet.

Is the brightness slider taken away for you, too?

Can generally anybody confirm that sudden brightness fall-off? :thinking: (I mean, confirm for Plasma v5.21.5 in beta5 and newer. Iā€™ve read there had been problems before. Last time it happened when actively scrolling in the output of less /var/log/pacman.log in the terminal.)

I have the strong suspicion that the setting of value itself doesnā€™t change, but the screen becomes much darker nevertheless: Before updating, the slider was still in the middle position when it had happened.
And sometimes when coming from black screen (idle) to lock-in screen, brightness is normal at the very first moment (for about 0.2 seconds).
Is there a way to query the current brightness value in the terminal?

Thank you. I am looking forward to your report!!

Hello. After flashing this image, phone some minutes after booting, gives black screen or crashes in boot logo. Any idea?

Hello, I have the same issue.