Manjaro ARM Beta4 with Plasma-Mobile (PinePhone)

The Manjaro ARM project is proud to announce the fourth BETA release of Plasma-Mobile for the PinePhone!

This image uses kernel 5.11.12 optimized for the Pinephone (megi), framework 5.80.0, plasma 5.21.3, and latest plasma-mobile and maui-apps.
Beside a lot of bugfixes, a lot of work has been done still on the pico-setup-wizard, where you can configure all your basic settings at initial boot.

Preinstalled apps include basically everything you expect from your typical smartphone, including torch, camera app megapixels and many applications familiar from a plasma desktop.

Known issues

• The kernel currently used for the Pinephone allows charging of the battery only to about 80% capacity as a security measure to prevent overheating.
  • In some specific cases connecitng to certain Wifi networks fails - we are currently investigating this issue

Download Pinephone PlaMo Beta4

Nightly builds with latest git-packages can be found here:
Download Pinephone PlaMo Nightly

About the device:
PinePhone:
Perhaps you’re in a line of work where security is a must, or a hard-core Linux enthusiast, or perhaps you’ve just got enough of Android and iOS and you’re ready for something else – the PinePhone may be the next Phone for you. Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline Linux as well as anything else you’ll get it to run.

The purpose of the PinePhone isn’t only to deliver a functioning Linux phone to end-users, but also to actively create a market for such a device, as well as to support existing and well established Linux-on-Phone projects. All major Linux Phone-oriented projects, as well as other FOSS OS’, are represented on the PinePhone and developers work together on our platform to bring support this this community driven device.

Order

Pinephones Beta Edition Pre-Orders start on the 24th of March! Don’t miss it !!! Visit the Pine64 Store

How to install:

Download the image/xz file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn the to an SD card (8 GB or larger).

The PinePhone should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

Donate!

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.

Bugtracker

If you face issues with this editon, please open a new issue on our bug-tracker

8 Likes

Working great so far! Keyboard is working on first boot now! Only issue was wifi didnt work on first boot, so the wizard couldnt find any connections.

I have it installed on the internal memory.
How can I mount an external sd card and use it for my personal files?
Whats the best format to use for the sd card?

1 Like

Hello, will plasma mobile come to the x86 distro any time soon? i would like to use it on my surface go tablet it would be great!!

Thank you for this release, I am very impressed!!!

This makes a Pinephone ready for daily use,
some issues with sms (incoming ones not synced with address book )
and convergence has a display bug on the phone display side.

All in all an amazing image and a huge step into the right direction.
Thanks to everyone involved!!

BTW.
How can I switch to nightly from beta4?
(which file needs to be edited?)

I tested the 22æ—„ non-dev build (from microSD luckily), and already noticed a huge drop back: Japanese language destroys the OS entirely.
I set the UI language to Japanese, then added Japanese virtual keyboard, I thought “finally, I’m able to type in Plamo now!” NOPE!!
Switching to Japanese virtual keyboard freezes the keyboard, the phone started lagging so hard, I had to reboot, but it remained black screen forever after KDE logo, and never displayed login screen.

Difference in yesterday’s build is that now switching to Japanese keyboard will permanently destroy the virtual keyboard.

Definitely much better than last month! We’re having a couple of outstanding issues here, though.

-Pressing speaker in the phone app while in the middle of the call doesn’t switch to speaker.
-Pressing the sound button in the top-down menu opens the sound splash screen, then does nothing until I pull down the top menu again to exit. (It never shows as a closable app.)
-Modem sometimes won’t connect (AT&T). (When this happens, SIM Cards and Access Points in settings is empty, and Modems in settings just shows “Type: hardware”.) Happens sometimes post boot and others post sleep. (Will sometimes be met with “modem is busy” notifications.) Seems to require a reboot to clear it up.

Then there’s the usual “press settings in the top-down menu to open settings, then press it again from the top-down to get an infinite settings splash screen”.

1 Like

Low Phone Call Volume

A problem that annoys.
The sound is very low even if we increase 

So telephony is painful 

2 Likes

Nice poem, jplrouge.

1 Like

to answer my question from above

To change branch do following:

sudo pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch unstable
sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu
1 Like

Anyone else found that a lot of the apps/settings apps run off the screen? That is to say that in vertical, if you open some programs (such as System Settings) a lot of the program will extend off screen.

Any one else have this, or have a solution?

Also how can I uninstall Vivaldi? (1 month deep into Linux :sweat_smile:)

@Iwanttolinux

Also how can I uninstall Vivaldi?

Two ways:
Terminal:
Open up your terminal and type sudo pacman -Rns vivaldi
A prompt will ask for your password. If you haven’t changed anything, it’s the same as the one you use to unlock the phone)

By using the Software App Discover:
search the term vivaldi and find ‘uninstall’

If you want to learn more about Software management via pacman, you can read pacman - ArchWiki

If you don’t want to learn more about pacman, you should check out the arch wiki anyways, it’s one of the best sources for knowledge.

2 Likes

I’m new to manjaro. I’ve just snagged a pinebook running manjaro but sudo pacman -S etcher gives error: target not found: etcher.

Am I doing something wrong?

sudo pacman -Syu gets as far as starting full system upgrade and then reaches an error

warning: libtool: local (2.4.6+44+gb9b44533-14) is newer than core (2.4.6+42+gb88cebd5-15)
there is nothing to do

Posted under wrong topic. Anyway, Etcher is not in the official repositories, It’s in AUR. Use Pamac (Add/Remove Software) instead. If you prefer terminal command then use a something like yay.

Moreover baleanaEtcher provides AppImage, you can easily download from here it and execute, not needing to install.

1 Like

sudo pacman -Syyuu corrige warning: libtool: local (2.4.6+44+gb9b44533-14) is newer than core (2.4.6+42+gb88cebd5-15)

If it says there is nothing to do, there is nothing to do. No Updates available. The “There is nothing to do” appears every time you run the update command and you are already up to date. It has nothing to do with the above warning.

The warning is more an info as it is sign for you to panic. If your system works fine, then ignore it and move on. At some point later in time, the package in the repository will be never than what you have installed, at which point pacman updates your local package.

1 Like

Thank-you @CTMS @SameExpert

Thank you.

I was going to ask if there was a listing somewhere with all the fundamental terminal commands for manjaro somewhere.

But on a side note, is there a tutorial/tl;dr regarding this Phosh thing I was seeing?

As I stated in my previous post; some of the programs on my Pinephone exceed the screen.

Which programs namely?
Are you using developer release or stable release?
In stable release this shouldn’t happen with the native programs.