Manjaro ARM Beta31 with Phosh (PinePhone / PinePhonePro)

Manjaro ARM Beta31 of Phosh for PinePhone!

The Manjaro ARM project is proud to announce our Thirtyfirst BETA release for the PinePhone running Phosh!

Those images run the 6.1 or 6.2 kernel from Megi.

Features:

• Camera app with access to back and front camera, including autofocus
  • Auto-Rotate function and manual rotate
  • Welcome wizard for easy setup of the device
  • We have now a working Torch in the quick-access-menu
  • Prime phone functions working, including resume from deep-sleep and free speaking
  • Recording of audio works
  • Most applications got added to scale-to-fit
  • Haptic feedback functions are given
  • Optimized keyboard layout for terminal
  • Maps working with geolocate
  • Volume buttons working
  • Sensors fully functional
  • Easy access to Bluetooth, Wlan, Rotate and Mobile functions via quick settings
  • Default branch is arm-stable. This can be changed by editing /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf
  • usage of callaudiod for better audio experience with calls
  • This image uses a Crust enabled uboot (Pinephone only)

Changes since Beta 30

• Kernel is now at 6.1.21 for the Pinephone.
  • Chatty is at 0.7.2
  • Gnome Apps got updated to latest 43 or 44 series
  • Firefox is renewed to 112.0.1
    • mobile-config-firefox 4.0.1 fixed the issue with newer verisons of firefox. however we didn’t ship it by default.
  • phosh is at 0.26.0, phoc at 0.26.0 and phosh-mobile-settings at 0.26.0
  • pipewire got renewed to 0.3.69
  • Pamac got updated to 10.5.0
  • Systemd is at 253.3
  • Xorg-Server brings a security fix via 21.1.8

A detailed list of package changes can be found here.

Currently broken:

• GPS may not work as it should

Known issues

• During a Call the Mic can’t be muted on Pinephone and PinephonePro
  • UI becomes unresponsive after a while.
  • Doing a recording may result in noisy audio savings
  • Lots of apps are still missing or are not mobile friendly yet.

Download:

Device Phosh
PinePhone Beta31
PinePhone Nightly

About the device:
PinePhone:
Perhaps you’re in a line of work where security is a must, or a hard-core Linux enthusiast, or perhaps you’ve just got enough of Android and iOS and you’re ready for something else – the PinePhone may be the next Phone for you. Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline Linux as well as anything else you’ll get it to run.

The purpose of the PinePhone isn’t only to deliver a functioning Linux phone to end-users, but also to actively create a market for such a device, as well as to support existing and well established Linux-on-Phone projects. All major Linux Phone-oriented projects, as well as other FOSS OS’, are represented on the PinePhone and developers work together on our platform to bring support this this community driven device.

Order

Pinephones Beta Edition are still on stock. Visit the Pine64 Store

How to install:

Download the image/xz file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn the to an SD card (8 GB or larger).

The PinePhone should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

The premade users are:
User: manjaro
Password: 123456

User: root
password: root

Donate!

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.

Bugtracker

If you face issues with this editon, please open a new issue on our bug-tracker

Development Changelog

We will list our progress to Beta30 here

• Beta31 (2023-04-27) Download
    • based on stable branch
1 Like

Why we keep 6.1 kernel series for the Pinphone

With 6.2 series Megi changed the way on how userland can access the cameras to match upstream changes. Therefore Megapixles isn’t able to connect with the cameras. If you don’t care about that, you can get the 6.2 kernel series from here. We recommend to push PostmarketOS developers to provide a solution for that, as they also ship 6.2 kernels, at least in their edge/development branch.

Pls avoid any Me too comments and keep it friendly. It might take a while to find a solution for that.

For some reason not mentioned in the initial message, but this update brings support for enhanced power savings by implementing cpuidle The cpuidle subsystem [LWN.net]

With this release firefox seems to crash when browsing youtube. Within a couple minutes it freezes, and systemd-coredump is cooking the CPU.

Do you happen to use wireplumber? There are some reports for something like this but I can’t reproduce it with pipewire-media-session.

For me this release with PP is the first one where I can’t find any single issue in my use case (with “recommended stability tweaks”*)
I did reboot yesterday but before that reboot I did have like 10 days without single issue. My suspend settings is 1 minute. I get 10-50 calls a day and multiply sms so PP will wake and sleep a lot in day. For me this release is not beta anymore but your experience can be different if you use different apps or you have different carrier etc :slight_smile:

*biktorgjs latest firmware with latest adsp + zetabetas flipping frames udev rules + pipewire/pipepiwire-pulse/pipewire-media-session

I double checked it by reflashing the image and making absolutely no change before opening youtube, and i can get it to reliably coredump by opening a video and playing 10-30 sec and then going for the next, for less than 5 minutes. And when it happens once, it seems it crashes within 10 seconds of starting any video until reboot.

Never before have i had firefox crash.

8 posts were split to a new topic: ARM Unstable - No sound with Pinephone after Update