Manjaro ARM Beta3 with Phosh (PinePhone)

Yes. And I can repeat it on demand. Try logging into Parler. BAM! Everytime.

I noticed that ā€œRemote Log inā€ is on by default, and it really should be off as the default. SSH is very convenient, and using a password instead of a key makes it easy, but since this device is on the network at all times, it would be wise to leave that off unless you were going to use it.

IMO most providers (like in Germany) give You an address from the private and unrouted address ranges. For me I get always like

10.112.x.x

So the risk for attacks is absolutely minimal over mobile connection. AFAIK the private addresses also are separated from another here. Therefore I see no problem letting ssh running from start.

1 Like

The battery of my pinephone running Beta3 is lasting more than a day (maybe more than 2 days because I forgot when I charged it last) without a recharge in stand-by mode without a sim card or bluetooth device connected and little use in the day. This observation is not reflective of real-world use because more of a simple empirical baseline of what can be expected under this specified condition.

Thank you. Iā€™m not worried either, just wanted to confirm that it wasnā€™t an isolated issue.

Recently i have also started to notice this, maybe 3 times in the past week i have had to reboot to get 4G data back (even when the mobile connection is up the data disconnect arrows shows). So during the past week or two there has been a regression in 4G data stability. On testing branch.

@philm thank you for the explanation about the charging and battery, I confirm that my PinePhone since beta3 never charges over circa. 88% and than stops until the charge goes down to around 60-ish % and than the charge restarts.

On another note- do you know anything about the issue with the less popular foreign languages (e.g. Hebrew is a good example) ? why while adding the keyboard is possible, but the actual keyboard layout and typed characters do not match, and are always English?

Asking because in most Desktop linux distros I have ever used, languages were never an issue, and are pretty basic and a part of ā€œcoreā€ (nothing fancy to install, configure or hack)

thanks in advanced :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not sure what to do with bug reports. Iā€™m primarily interested in running apps in Anbox. In particular Mnemosyne is the only thing I canā€™t do on my iPhone and therefore the only reason I need to pick up my secondary phone every day. But right now Anbox crashes when Mnemosyne exits fullscreen mode and is therefore unusable. Do I report a bug here? Or with Anbox? Or with Mnemosyne? Or should I just be patient because Anbox on Manjaro on Pinephone is a beta on a beta and thereā€™s no reason to expect that would work? (I am, in fact, pretty impressed that it gets as far as it does!)

Not here. Try the other 2.

Latest (unstable) updates:

Waking up on incoming call in deep sleep wakes up the phone. Then the phone tries at first for up to 20 seconds to establish WLAN. Meanwhile all callers have given up. I thougt this was fixed in an update before? Phone tries 2-3 seconds on Wlan and then fires up mobile connection?

hello . I m trying to open an issue in gitlab, but it doesnt allowed me.

So I write it here.

The led light when the battery is charging is not present, so I cant see if the battery is charging, is full or if it is not charged. And just to say theat the led works.

Thanks for the amazing job guys. You are rocking it

I am register in gitlab with other OS, but th eone in manjaro doesnt allowed me to register ā€¦???

Looks like the most recent (today-ish?) update fixed this problem for me. The WLAN is up in a matter of seconds and it goes straight to the modem.

I can confirm this, I am on beta3 for PinePhone, and not too frequent in my case, but occasionally while browsing using Firefox or typing into a web form in Firefox, the screen goes black, Firefox crashes, and 2 seconds later I get to the PinePhone lock screen. no idea what the root of the problem is, but looks like something to do with Firefox?

My question is, and excuse me if it sounds noobish - why does the phone (or OS) needs to establish WLAN to take on an incoming call ? is the cellular modem hard coupled with the WLAN module in some way?

thatā€™s simply a phosh shell bug probably, triggered by firefox. I have several times managed to do it simply by pressing the down key on my BT keyboard, and when the icon selector on the app grid goes all the way to the bottom and sends several down commands on the last row, the shell crashes. If i manage to stop pressing the down key before it starts ā€œhammeringā€ the bottom limit it never crashes.

@philm Any plans to tweak GTK on manjaro-arm (Phosh) to work better with a phone interface (PinePhone)? It could make many available and useful applications compatible with Manjaro-arm on the PinePhone.

I have noticed that many applications can be successfully installed in Manjaro-arm on the PinePhone, but lack UI compatibility, many of those applications are using gtk.

Will this issue be addressed in one of the next beta releases?

Thanks in advanced.

Can folders be created on the surface? Are there ways to personalize Phosh? What about themes?

To answer your questons: No, No, No.

Phosh comes as is and there is no need by upstream to add options to change your theming. Same as Gnome the user should keep the way it was designed as is. It is always a hurdle for all developers as users on Linux want first to customize their devices for whatever reasons ā€¦

I understand, but isnā€™t it a feature of Linux that you can personalize it?

Well, it is not important and I look forward to holding the PinePhone in my hands in a few days.

Thanks for your answer.