Manjaro ARM Beta2 with Phosh (PinePhone)

Oh shit, I may have missed a step. As soon as I get the phone charged, I’ll try to be a bit more thorough. Language trouble or minor interface bugs here and there are not a showstopper for me. Thanks again, los.

About battery life. I had the phone fully charged and after about 8 hours it was at 77 %. That’s a lot better than I expected. I had mobile data, wifi and BT off. If the phone can reliably do calls and messaging, I’m prepared to carry a battery pack with me.

Another finding is that sometimes - like when reading an SMS - the GUI/DE seems to restart or something. When that happens, the screen blanks and I think I’ve seen a blinking cursor in top corner and after a couple of seconds it is at the lock screen again.

Ok, there is hope. I’m in no hurry, so I think I’m sticking with whatever updates are offered.

Hey vincz,

Late response, but thanks a lot still for your elaborate answer!

It seems that you rely on your own services quite a lot (self-hosted matrix, nextcloud and mailinabox (docker) instances) to make up for the missing ‘native’ linux mobile applications such as e-mail and messaging apps. I run my own nextcloud instance as well and use the built-in mail app there a lot as well. It’s just that the Nextloud (20) website is running horribly on Angelfish, which is the browser I’m limited to since I use Plasma Mobile and Firefox isn’t usable there due to the virtual keyboard not enabling in it.

Anyhow, thanks again for your response. I’m gonna ponder switching to the Pinephone as my ‘main’ device as well :slight_smile:

Do I understand correctly that changing the root password is not possible (yet)? And changing the device name is possible (but maybe not the user name) but I have not figured this out? TIA

Well, I did save locale-gen after uncommenting the line and then generated locales. I thought there was a step after locale-gen, but there is none. It seems that afterwards one should visit Region & Language Settings again. It is sort of working, but the quick settings and lock screen now have a crazy mix of Finnish and English - could be missing translations? And I don’t understand why the quick settings and lock screen language would follow the formats or input settings and not the language setting which still is English (US) for me. This is not very important.

I changed the root password. Can’t have a device with default or easy passwords. I have a bad habit of not using sudo, but su.

On the topic of charging, here’s an observation. When my phone was delivered on Friday the other week, I immediately plugged it in and charged it up to 100% (i.e. using the factory image). No problems there. Now, however, I am running the beta2-20201117 phosh image (testing branch, regularly upgraded through pacman -Syu). It seems to me like my phone stops charging whenever entering suspend or being shut down. For instance, I let it shut down last night with the charger still attached throughout the night. This morning it was still at 89% just like eight hours ago.

Btw, concerning this, is there is good command line tool to give me stats on my battery? acpi and upower just failed to give me any information.

20201117 is on the unstable branch (unless you’ve changed it) - 20201112 was the last release on testing.

Re: power - I ssh into my phone while it’s charging and watching the results of upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_axp20x_battery it never seems to get above 90% charged (and frequently stops charging when it reaches that point) - either the charge level is being misreported or there’s a bug that prevents the phone charging up to 100%.

Incidentally, I charge my PP with a Raspberry Pi 4 USB C charger and Power Supply on the PP fails to show any information at all whilst it’s charging - upower also has a bunch of missing entries but it’s better than nothing.

1 Like

The issue with charging to 89% is not a bug but a safety measure megi has in his kernel, to prevent overcharing.

2 Likes

For safety issues and safety improvements you my want to read the developer blog …

2 Likes

I use this on my Pinebook Pro… has to be compiled from sources though: GitHub - svartalf/rust-battop: Interactive batteries viewer

hey @philm, thanks for having alternate speeds available right in /boot now. I’m one of the people who suffer from not being able to do the higher speeds.

Quick question: To do the speed change, do I just rename one of the other speeds to the uboot-pinephone without a number and boot? Do I need to still do the dd rewrite directly on the device to get the slower speeds? Or is there some other method to do it now that I don’t know?

Thanks for your help and progression on this project!

you still have to use DD to get the uboot working. There is no way to simply add a parameter and it will choose that MHz frequency …

Installed telegram using pacman, then ran $ scale-to-fit telegram, and after setup it works properly sending and receiving messages with telegram on a Samsung phone.