The Manjaro ARM project is proud to announce our eleventh BETA release for the PinePhone running Phosh!
This image is running the 5.12 kernel from Megi, which is designed for the PinePhone.
- Firefox uses a dedicated configuration and plays videos on Youtube pretty well
- Camera app with access to back and front camera, including autofocus
- Auto-Rotate function and manual rotate
- Welcome wizard for easy setup of the device
- We have now a working Torch in the quick-access-menu
- Prime phone functions working, including resume from deep-sleep and free speaking
- Recording of audio works
- Most applications got added to
- Haptic feedback functions are given
- Optimized keyboard layout for terminal
- Maps working with geolocate
- Volume buttons working
- Sensors fully functional
- Easy access to Bluetooth, Wlan, Rotate and Mobile functions via quick settings
- Default branch is
arm-stable. This can be changed by editing
- usage of callaudiod for better audio experience with calls
- This image uses a Crust enabled uboot
- kernel is now at 5.12.8
- added a workaround to Calls to mute the Mic during a call. We are working on a better approach, though.
- fix headset button handling and jack/mic plug in/plug out detection
- updated UCM profiles based on upstream changes
- more changes to Phosh including better support for Asian languages
- we updated modemmanager for quick suspend/resume
- fixes to kernel and uboot-firmware to stabilize RAM speed. Users can try again higher clock speeds
- pipewire is now at 0.3.28
- calls got updated to 0.3.3
- pamac is at 10.1.2
- systemd got updated to 248.3
- fixes to Phosh to support Japanese and Asian languages better
- Squeekboard is now at 1.14.0
- chatty got updated to 0.3.1
- Mesa is on 21.1.1
- PostmarketOS Tweaks is at 0.6.1
- we updated the Upower profile to power off as needed when the battery is low
- updated patches for eg25-manager to stabilize the modem further
- fixed issues with feedbackd to find themes
- Siglo got updated to 0.8.2
- small fixes to eg25-manager
- wake-mobile got added and Anbox updated
- regular package updates
A detailed list of package changes can be found here.
- GPS may not work as it should
- You may loose the modem often. If that is the case call
systemctl edit --full ModemManagerand then edit
- it may take longer to wake up from deep-sleep mode when a call is incoming. Most of the time that call will vibrate only.
- UI becomes unresponsive after a while.
- Doing a recording may result in noisy audio savings
- Lots of apps are still missing or are not mobile friendly yet.
About the device:
Perhaps you’re in a line of work where security is a must, or a hard-core Linux enthusiast, or perhaps you’ve just got enough of Android and iOS and you’re ready for something else – the PinePhone may be the next Phone for you. Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline Linux as well as anything else you’ll get it to run.
The purpose of the PinePhone isn’t only to deliver a functioning Linux phone to end-users, but also to actively create a market for such a device, as well as to support existing and well established Linux-on-Phone projects. All major Linux Phone-oriented projects, as well as other FOSS OS’, are represented on the PinePhone and developers work together on our platform to bring support this this community driven device.
Pinephones Beta Edition are still on stock. Visit the Pine64 Store
How to install:
Download the image/xz file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.
After that, install Etcher (
sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn the to an SD card (8 GB or larger).
The PinePhone should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.
The premade users are:
We will list our progress to Beta12 here
- Beta11 (2021-06-04) Download
- based on stable branch
- Dev (2021-06-09) Download
- Based on unstable branch
- Pipewire got updated to 0.3.29
- More fixes to Chatty got added
- We added Confy to the profile
- Most of the Gnome packages got updated to 40.2
- Firefox got updated to 89.0
- libinput ins now at 1.18.0
- We updated the Kernel to 5.12.9
- libxcrypt got renewed to 4.4.22. See also this issue if you miss to change your password and land on a terminal after rebooting your phone!
- Mesa is now at 21.1.2
- We updated modemmanager to 1.16.6
- siglo is now at 0.8.4
- We use now upstream uboot 2021.04 with needed patches
- We no unblank screen on incoming calls and only enable proximity on active calls. See also here
- Dev (2021-06-14) Download
- Based on unstable branch
- Fixed pacman keyring gpg-keys issue. This also includes the fix for dropping to terminal on first boot.
- Pipewire got updated to 0.3.30
- Calls is now at 0.3.4
- More fixes to eg25-manager
- Gnome got updated to 40.2
- libxcrypt got updated to 4.4.22. You’re phone won’t boot unless you have changed your password. This image already switched password-hashes
- Kernel is now at 5.12.10
- Mesa got updated to 21.1.2
- Pacman got updated to 6.0
- Pamac got updated to support latest pacman version
- Uboot got updated to 2021.04
- Regular upstream updates