Manjaro ARM Beta1 with Phosh (PinePhone)

Well, if I am in the same area, I should have 4G when I am not in a phone call and during a phone call, there’s not really a reason to drop the signal strength just because a phone call started. Mobian does not have that issue, for example (so it should be fixable somehow?)

I think this has something to do with only 2G being able to do both data and voice at the same time.

Anyway, concerning bluetooth, I always have the problem that after a couple of seconds, my bluetooth speakers get disconnected. Do bluetooth headphones work for somebody else in Manjaro ARM/Phosh? It was like this since Alpha 1 IIRC. I’m currently on an up-to-date Alpha version (isn’t that actually the same as the Beta?).

The docked-mode issue was noted on the image. Simply don’t use the developer ISOs, than just using the original released ones. I’ll publish a new image with docked-mode fixed soon.

3 Likes

When i connect my phone to the dock I cant get the external display to work, it works for me on arch linux also with kernel 5.9. Maybe the driver for display output is not included?

Please be active on the pinephone forum. Its where most users are actively testing, reporting bugs, providing feedback. Having devs present there and active with the users would be amazing

1 Like

@philm, any idea what’s missing from the Manjaro kernel for USB-C video out? At first, I thought it was my monitor (and this still can be the case to an extent). I can see pmOS and megi’s multiboot don’t have this issue.

Update: And with the latest update I have hdmi output! On top of the 60fps goodness! :smiley:

hdmi output is not working for me on latest image

Did you update after installing the image?

I’m using a franken image (built it with plasma and slapped Wayfire on the unstable channel :crazy_face: ). HDMI output wasn’t working prior yesterday evening’s update to the kernel for me. Maybe I’ll flash Posh tonight to check if it works there :slight_smile:

PS: Check in the notifications if the phone is in Docked mode in Posh when connected to external display.

i did update but it says there is nothing to update… phosh says is docked when plugged but no hdmi output…

The change hasn’t trickled down to arm-stable branch. Currently it only lives on arm-unstable I believe. The unstable branch isn’t for the faint of heart but it’s an option if you feel aventurous :slight_smile:

[Update]:
Aaand it looks like it has been pushed to the stable one :smiley: : https://twitter.com/thepine64/status/1322246925878464514?s=20
Your mirror may take awhile to sync :slight_smile:

Just got my pinephone and had a couple of questions before I submit any issues:

• Is there a way to tell which release I am running besides comparing *-pkgs.txt from the release pages with the output of pacman -Q?
    • Or should I assume if I do an update I am running latest + patches?
  • Is there a way to see what package updates are being worked for the next version?
    • For example Issue 42 “geary is broke in beta1” states that geary-mobile 3.36 is broken with gnome 3.38. If it is about to be updated then I can wait instead of following the work around of installing and configuring geary instead.

seems the dock is kinda picky. I tried both, ARM-Arch and Manjaro updated to the latest. Neither my two TVs showed a picture on the monitor. Seems your Acer Monitor likes the dock better. What exact model do you use @Pak0st?

that is correct. there is no new 3.38 mobile version of geary yet. normal geary works, but has a smaller screen on the phone display. Wit the newer images we had dropped geary for now.

Hey, @philm, the model is Acer S240HL. On the photo I’m using this Baseus dock because of it’s L shaped connector.

I don’t think it’s just the kernel update though. On the photo I’m using the arm-unstable branch and I believe I installed gnome before attempting the experiment (I was curious about something else there…). It was an uphill battle with playing which connection to go first (dock → phone → pd → hdmi ?) but once it began to detect the display it started to do it reliably for whatever reason.
Note: You can’t see on the photo but the hub is connected to power.

I’ve just re-installed the beta image to check if I can replicate it again and find more information.
Currently I can’t get the HDMI to work again with neither the stable or unstable channel.

It appears as gnome got a few more dependencies this time around as well - I was hoping to replicate the setup completely to verify my results :thinking: I can see two package conflicts so far that stops me from doing so. One is with gnome-contacts-mobile (gnome wants to install both the desktop and mobile version at the same time leading to the conflict atm)

PS: Currently I have 3 hubs - an Anker one without PD, the one that comes with PinePhone and the aforementioned Baseus.

How user friendly is the end goal? Should I put in a ticket for scenarios such as the gnome-software application doesn’t confirm dependencies that will be uninstalled. For example if a user selects the trash can next to “Avahi SSH Server Browser” the system would then immediately delete:

pamac-cli pamac-common mobile-config-firefox gnome-todo-mobile gnome-software-mobile gnome-podcasts gnome-calendar gnome-authenticator gedit eog tepl telegram-desktop qt5-wayland squeekboard qt5-imageformats qt5-declarative powersupply phosh phoc mutter zenity lollypop libgnome-games-support libdbusmenu-qt5 kgx vte3 iio-sensor-proxy gnome-usage-mobile libdazzle gnome-sound-recorder gnome-session gnome-control-center-mobile gnome-contacts-mobile gnome-color-manager gnome-calculator gnome-bluetooth geary-mobile gnome-keyring fractal gtksourceview4 gst-plugin-gtk firefox file-roller evince-mobile libspectre libgxps gspell colord-gtk cheese clutter-gst chatty calls libpeas appstream-glib amtk smbclient cifs-utils qt5-base nemo xapp cinnamon-desktop gnome-settings-daemon gnome-maps libchamplain clutter-gtk clutter gfbgraph folks evolution-data-server libgdata gnome-initial-setup-mobile nm-connection-editor libnma libappindicator-gtk3 libindicator-gtk3 libdbusmenu-gtk3 gnome-online-accounts webkit2gtk libhandy0 libgnomekbd gnome-clocks libhandy libgweather gnome-desktop ghostscript cups-pk-helper gvfs gcr gtk3-mobile libcups geoclue avahi

Which thankfully didn’t include the ssh server so they can be reinstalled via pacman.

1 Like

I’ve to see if I missed a provides there. Let me fix that, if that is the case.

So, more observations, tests, and overall random tries :slight_smile:
On installing gnome alongside posh - the other conflict is with evince-mobile. I couldn’t track where this mobile package comes from.
gnome-software and gnome-software-mobile present a choice to resolve the conflict before install, the other packages provide the error when they are being installed (gnome-contacts-mobile is first, only after you remove it evince will complain as well),

Now, on to the HDMI :smiley:

I’ve been playing for several hours today with different items to try to figure how to localise what to look for. I’ve been going through megi’s blog post and kernel config. I’m not as versed at this and the overall structure of the two kernel config files is too different to make for an easy item to track. It was still a good experience to go through them though :slight_smile:

Next up - I’ve gone for Arch linux. At first, my assumption was that there was a difference in the u-boot packages. On the Pine64 → pinephone channel Danct12 mentioned that some pinephones were unstable with the higher dram frequency. My PinePhone kept jumping between docket/ undocked mode so I thought to try it out. Setting it to 552 didn’t get the HDMI connection and the only difference I saw was that the phone got overall slower.
Installing and flashing arch’s uboot package results an unbootable system (a silly move that others don’t need to try :wink: )
Next, I tried to check if arch’s kernel will get the HDMI working. To my surprise - yes and reliably so. Switching between arch’s and manjaro’s pinephone kernels got consistent results (HDMI works on arch, no display out on manjaro’s or at least very unreliable so far).

I’ve also checked with anx7688-firmware from both distros in case there is some difference I haven’t picked up from their PKGBUILDs - there isn’t anything that stood out.

So, in the next few days I will try to find what’s the difference in the kernel configs between the sister distros. Hopefully this information will be of help to get the video out to be more stable :slight_smile:

1 Like

The epiphany mobile-user-agent is deprecated. I already fixed this once, but seems like the latest manjaro-pinephone-tweaks or similar has reinstated the error.

Compiling Gsettings XML complains “no such key” again. I found the deprecation mention here Epiphany 3.38 and WebKitGTK 2.30 – Michael Catanzaro

Further ivestigation - Arch’s PKBUILD has the same url but it’s pulling the tar.gz from megi’s fork. I’ve really missed it:
https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Pine64-Arch/blob/3329d312fb14016cee581933faeeeaedbc714fd6/PKGBUILDS/pine64/linux-pine64/PKGBUILD#L22

I liked how postmarketOS did their kernel configuration. It was immediately obvious where the tar.gz comes from:
https://gitlab.com/postmarketOS/pmaports/-/blob/master/main/linux-postmarketos-allwinner/APKBUILD#L11

There are tons of flags which I have no idea about so I’ve decided to use pmOS’s kernel configuration (and there were still a few new flags).

I’m compiling the kernel with megi’s fork in similar syle as pmOS. Should be able to post results in a bit.

1 Like

Another update:

• Got to compile Manjaro’s kernel with megi’s fork
  • HDMI appears to be stable now

I will post the changes I’ve made tomorrow. They are heavily inspired by pmOS and most likely won’t be effective for use until someone checks the config file and does some cleanup - I just don’t know what most of the modules do.

It looks like I’ve forgotten the modem module.

1 Like