Manjaro ARM Beta1 with Phosh (PinePhone)

Just got my Manjaro edition Pinephone. It rocks, and you guys are doing a fantastic job. I love it!

Using the 10/29 image and 11/4 image, the entries in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist point to arm-stable repos. Changing them to arm-unstable corrects some issues. (local packages greater than packages in repo) Is this intentionally left at stable?

Tested it. Problem stays exact the same as with Manjaro :frowning:
Calls could to 90% not received if phone is in sleep state. Phone was up and starts modem and at first tries to establish the WiFi connection before mobile connection. If this goes tooo long caller gives up.

Can the start/init process of the modem be changed? At first init mobile data and after this the WiFi connection?

This would make the connection to mobile services up to 10 seconds and more faster. A lot more calls could be received then

Hi, I just installed the latest beta image and then installed the anbox and anbox-image packages. Anbox is not launching for some reason. Is there any other package I need to install?

Depending on what kernel version it is and also if the modules are enabled in the kernel. But I posted this for the pi4 for a guy.

1 Like

You need to enable the anbox-container-manager.service on boot.

1 Like

I did a clean install and when I do sudo pacman -S anbox-image anbox, It fails to receive some packages (lxc-1:4.0.5-1-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz). It fails to install…

All the mirrors for lxc package returns 404.

Edit: I did a pacman -Syyu and it installed afterwards

I did sudo systemctl start anbox-container-manager.service. Is that enough?

Anyone have any luck or know what need to do to make espeak or festival work?

Got my phone yesterday.
Played a bit with it. Still I think, a lot of streaming is neaded, just to reach the same usability the Jolla Phone hat back then. But the made the Phone and the OS, hence had a lot more control over their system.

Still I want to add some problems: perhaps they might be independent on the desktop, I don’t know!

General: app startapp takes a very long. Window sizes.
Telegram: can’t change the state or phone number. At least not undocked.
Bluethooth: audio play on YouTube stopped after seconds, while I still could hearssounds from the testing internal speaker part of the settings.
Bluetooth: wasn’t running a call
Settings: sound - testing internal speaker cannot be closed, in the settings app itself.
keyring + geary: after deleting the keyring geary does not start anymore. Before it wasn’t usable because of a misset pw.
Firefox: can’t show Chinese or Japanese characters. Didn’t test other local characterset s so far.
Today tapes are detected even worse, like really have to press hard and even then, the tap is detected in the wrong position.

Hi! I’ve just received my Pinephone CE Manjaro. Can I just update using the software center to get the latest changes? Or I need to flash latest image (Beta1 2020-11-04) in order to get them?

Is anyone else having problems connecting to WiFi on Phosh? Can’t connect to either my main or guest network. I can see them in the gui and via nmcli.

This thread is missing the “Pinephone” tag. Please advise.

1 Like

Have you tried summoning the spirit of @Fabby?

This is normal behaviour for most phones. As far as I know the phone will switch to 2G when in a call and this switching causes the antenna to be occupied thus disabling the data connection. My OnePlus also did this until a recent update. Since a few months it prefers to use Voice over WIFI or Voice over LTE instead of switching back to 2G.

Huh? What? How can I be of service?

:confused:

Someone suggested that the ‘pinephone’ tag be added to the original post, but it looked like it’s already been done.

1 Like

Hello,

Sorry if something was already reported. This smartphone is my first smartphone.

I’ve received my Pinephone ‘Community Edition Manjaro/Convergence edition’ with the USB-C Docking bar and PostmarketOS installed. Following the @Luke’s advice on the Pine64 forum (announcements.php?aid=42), I’ve installed Manjaro-ARM-phosh-pinephone-beta1-20201104.img.xz with Jumprive. All updates are done - 11-10-2020.

A call phone is little noisy but usable :slightly_smiling_face:

Keyboard layout : I’ve tested many French definitions. The display is always QWERTY. With the USB-C dock, an AZERTY keyboard is usable as an AZERTY. But the accented letters are absent.
A bug or there is a way to add the missing displays to have the accented letters displayed on the Pinephone :question:

The size of Gnome’s dialog box is not adapted in many cases. The close or back button is out of the display.

The response display for a touch is better than the PostmarketOS’s response installed on the Pinephone received.

Hard to wake-up of the Pinephone when is set in standby mode. Battery removed one time.

The unlocking goes strange. In one case, I must push two times on each touch to unlock the phone, but after the boot there is no problem to unlock the SIM card. After a while, one touch/tap is enough to unlock the phone. Sometimes, two tries is necessary to unlock the phone.

Portrait/Landscape mode : the screen flash two or three times.

Scenario : go to Landscape mode, go to standby mode and try to unlock the phone → nothing. The screen as a black color : no shut off, only black color, I can see the little back light. When I push rapidly the power button, the screen is shut off. So, the transition between active mode and standby mode is good but the display is problematic. Reboot needed.

HDMI with the ‘dockbar’, I see the background. In some case I can see a very little part (few millimeters) of an application in the left border of my monitor.
In this situation, go to Landscape mode after that the the phone is locked alone and after the display is in portrait mode when is unlocked.
How to display something in the monitor connected to the USB-dockbar :question:

SIM cards : the contacts are not retrieved from the SIM card, nor the SMS stored in it. With an other distribution (which ? I’ve tried PostmarketOS and the "PinePhone multi-distro demo image of @Megous), they were retrieved.
There is a way to set the contacts from the SIM card or to use the backup made of my SIM card with all ‘*.vcf’ files :question:

With the Calculator, I found that to show/hide the keybord it’s necessary to tap/touch not directly on the keyboard icon on the corner but more inside the screen, true for ‘Terminal’. Surprising, that’s all.

USB connection to my computer Debian/Buster (stable) : a pair of beeps continuously emitted by the Pinephone and I see this in my ‘dmesg’ log on Debian with a connection to the USB-2 and USB-3 ports :
[112380.747763] usb 1-11: new high-speed USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
[112380.875832] usb 1-11: device descriptor read/64, error -32
[112381.111784] usb 1-11: device descriptor read/64, error -32
[112381.347765] usb 1-11: new high-speed USB device number 14 using xhci_hcd
[112381.475787] usb 1-11: device descriptor read/64, error -32
[112381.711790] usb 1-11: device descriptor read/64, error -32
[112381.819832] usb usb1-port11: attempt power cycle
[112382.471774] usb 1-11: new high-speed USB device number 15 using xhci_hcd
[112382.492106] usb 1-11: device descriptor read/8, error -32
[112382.620135] usb 1-11: device descriptor read/8, error -32
[112382.855795] usb 1-11: new high-speed USB device number 16 using xhci_hcd
[112382.876067] usb 1-11: device descriptor read/8, error -32
[112383.004069] usb 1-11: device descriptor read/8, error -32
[112383.111853] usb usb1-port11: unable to enumerate USB device
[112407.727971] usb 1-3: new high-speed USB device number 17 using xhci_hcd
[112408.131974] usb 1-3: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[112408.367970] usb 1-3: device descriptor read/64, error -32
[112408.603957] usb 1-3: new high-speed USB device number 18 using xhci_hcd
[112408.732005] usb 1-3: device descriptor read/64, error -32
[112408.968009] usb 1-3: device descriptor read/64, error -32
[112409.076029] usb usb1-port3: attempt power cycle
[112409.727982] usb 1-3: new high-speed USB device number 19 using xhci_hcd
[112409.748305] usb 1-3: device descriptor read/8, error -32
[112409.876286] usb 1-3: device descriptor read/8, error -32
[112410.111967] usb 1-3: new high-speed USB device number 20 using xhci_hcd
[112410.132315] usb 1-3: device descriptor read/8, error -32
[112410.260263] usb 1-3: device descriptor read/8, error -32
[112410.368035] usb usb1-port3: unable to enumerate USB device

The phone is accessible by SSH with the Ethernet connection, I’ve shut off the Wifi and the Bluetooth.
There is a way to access to the Pinephone directly by the USB port :question:

The battery is quickly drained :frowning:

General question : I’m not familiar with Gnome, so how to delete some files with Nemo on the Pinephone :question: Sorry if this is a too simple question. I’ve tried the ‘DEL’ key without success ans there is not ‘Trash’. A SHIFT+DEL can be done because the two keys aren’t in the same layout.

I hope this could help.

Kind regards.

I’m running Beta2 now but my phone shipped with Beta1 and configuring Nemo was one of the first challenges I attempted. It’s challenging because the popup menus don’t scale correctly and some things are hidden. Switching back and forth between portrait and landscape allowed me to make the changes. I had to use “preferences” to switch from single tap to open to double tap to open, because I could not reliably just select a single file with the default setting and selecting a video file with a single tap caused the file to open and play in Firefox. I also changed some scaling factors but don’t know if that helped.

Once you have selected a file, the “Edit” menu provides “Move to Trash” and “Delete” options as well as the other common tasks (“Rename”, “Copy to”, “Move to”, etc.).