Manjaro ARM Beta 22 with Phosh (PinePhone / PinePhonePro)

Manjaro ARM Beta22 of Phosh for PinePhone!

The Manjaro ARM project is proud to announce our twenty second BETA release for the PinePhone running Phosh!

Those images either run the 5.16 kernel from Megi, which are is designed for the PinePhone or 5.16 kernel by Mobian, which supports the PinePhonePro.

Features:

• Firefox uses a dedicated configuration and plays videos on Youtube pretty well
  • Camera app with access to back and front camera, including autofocus
  • Auto-Rotate function and manual rotate
  • Welcome wizard for easy setup of the device
  • We have now a working Torch in the quick-access-menu
  • Prime phone functions working, including resume from deep-sleep and free speaking
  • Recording of audio works
  • Most applications got added to scale-to-fit
  • Haptic feedback functions are given
  • Optimized keyboard layout for terminal
  • Maps working with geolocate
  • Volume buttons working
  • Sensors fully functional
  • Easy access to Bluetooth, Wlan, Rotate and Mobile functions via quick settings
  • Default branch is arm-stable. This can be changed by editing /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf
  • usage of callaudiod for better audio experience with calls
  • This image uses a Crust enabled uboot

Changes since Beta21

• Kernel got updated to 5.16.7
  • Pipewire is at 0.3.45
  • Mesa is now at 21.3.5
  • Firefox is now at 96.0.3
  • Chatty got renewed to 0.6.1.
    • gained UI improvements and SMS/MMS enhancements
  • Calls got its first Beta of 42 release series
    • got some more fixes in regard of SIP
  • Phoc is now at 0.12.0 and uses wlroots 0.14.1
    • got small fixes in regard of keyboard managmenet added
  • Phosh got updated to 0.15.0
  • Squeekboard is now at 0.16.0
    • adopted more the overall design/look
  • We updated the device profiles for Pinephone(Pro)
  • More fixes went into Pamac to have a better AUR support

A detailed list of package changes can be found here.

Currently broken:

• GPS may not work as it should

Known issues

• Chatty may crash with experimental features like MMS enabled. You may disable them via gsettings set sm.puri.Chatty experimental-features false if that is the case
  • UI becomes unresponsive after a while.
  • Doing a recording may result in noisy audio savings
  • Lots of apps are still missing or are not mobile friendly yet.

Download:

Device Phosh
PinePhone Beta22
PinePhone Nightly

About the device:
PinePhone:
Perhaps you’re in a line of work where security is a must, or a hard-core Linux enthusiast, or perhaps you’ve just got enough of Android and iOS and you’re ready for something else – the PinePhone may be the next Phone for you. Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline Linux as well as anything else you’ll get it to run.

The purpose of the PinePhone isn’t only to deliver a functioning Linux phone to end-users, but also to actively create a market for such a device, as well as to support existing and well established Linux-on-Phone projects. All major Linux Phone-oriented projects, as well as other FOSS OS’, are represented on the PinePhone and developers work together on our platform to bring support this this community driven device.

Order

Pinephones Beta Edition are still on stock. Visit the Pine64 Store

How to install:

Download the image/xz file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn the to an SD card (8 GB or larger).

The PinePhone should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

The premade users are:
User: manjaro
Password: 123456

User: root
password: root

Donate!

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.

Bugtracker

If you face issues with this editon, please open a new issue on our bug-tracker

Development Changelog

We will list our progress to Beta23 here

• Beta22 (2022-02-15) Download
    • based on stable branch
4 Likes

Always wonder, ¿why GPS still has problems?

it is due to the modem firmware, manjaro cannot affect it with their OS. Switch over to the open modem firmware and there are no issues.

The community modem firmware can be now flashed and upgraded via fwupd thanks to work by Dylan February update: chat with the machine | PINE64

This update broke my dialer app. It either crashes or opens for a moment, tells me there’s no modem, then crashes. It also made docking the phone impossible. It tries real hard for a minute or so (display blinks like crazy) then the phone crashes and reboots.

Is there an easy way to roll this back while these issues are addressed? Thanks for all the amazing work being done

1 Like

I think this could be interesting for you:

Well, upstream won’t be happy with that, as it is a git-snapshot. Most likely if I would have 42.beta1, it would be a case. Currently I deleted Beta 22 and added gnome-calls-42beta1+10+g12ac809-3 to the repos. You may want to issue sudo pacman -Syyuu to downgrade. The new image should be online in 40 mins or so.

The software is constantly getting better, I really like it! many thanks to the Manjaro Phosh team!

With help of upstream developers we pushed more fixes to gnome-calls.

Thanks to the manjaro team.
I test the pinephone pro with Waydroid, and now docker. It’s a really fun smartphone. Now I look forward to convergence. This smartphone will replace my daily smartphone pinephone as well.
For use docker you should disable systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0 into /boot/boot.txt

docker pull hthiemann/docker-chromium-armhf

docker run --rm --privileged \
 -e DISPLAY=unix$DISPLAY \
 -v chromium_home:/home \
 -v /tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix \
 -v /dev:/dev -v /run:/run \
 -v /etc/machine-id:/etc/machine-id \
 --ipc=host \
 --device /dev/dri \
 --group-add video \
 hthiemann/docker-chromium-armhf

And you can use chromium for netflix and co without waydroid

Is there any plans to fix the bug with the PinePhone Keyboard’s battery expansion feature not working on the PinePhone Pro?

I bought the keyboard just because of the battery expansion as I hoped it would give Manjaro enough battery capacity to enable the device to run the OS for a whole day. But unfortunately, the OS fails to support the battery expansion capabilities of the PinePhone Keyboard addon, making even the PPP still remain too unusable as a daily driver device.

more info on that topic here: megi's PinePhone Development Log

A post was split to a new topic: How do I install Manjaro Phosh?

The modem on the pinephone has had the problem of not automatically enabling mobile data after reboot. I need to go to settings and turn it off and on again to enable it. This is the only real problem i have left on this long journey, and i would appreciate if it was fixed, and if you can tell me how to provide logs etc. to help i would be more than happy to do so.

Please open an issue upstream: Issues · Mobian / devices / eg25-manager · GitLab

I don’t think it is a modem manager issue since on plasma it does connect automatically.

I noticed modemmanager to been outdated. Will update to 1.34.0-1.