Manjaro ARM Beta 21 with Phosh (PinePhone / PinePhonePro)

no i have not made such force decisions (plasma does not even seem to have them as option). For some reason with phosh i need to disable-enable the data connection after every boot, and then occasionally disable and re-enable it when it is lost. This is automatic on plasma (but spamming huge amount of enable/disable notifications), and beta ~16-17 on phosh but after 1 or 2 updates it started failing again, like before ~beta16. Data on plasma did not work at all before latest release switching to modem manager.

edit: i have biktorgj’s modem firmware, so it might be the cause if others don’t find the same.

It depends which version of that alternative firmware you have …

latest non testing

Yocto 3.4: Bugfixes

Thanks for the new update! I am still struggling with call waiting. Problem has persisted since beta 18 or so. When on a call and another comes in i loose the ability to talk to the call i am on and i can not answer the new call. Is there anyway to turn off call waiting and just be notified I missed a call for now?

Thanks so much for your hard work

chatty 0.6.0-beta wasn’t working well for me. The screen would come up, but it would crash after a few seconds. I tried gsettings set sm.puri.Chatty experimental-features false, but that had no effect.

I ended up downgrading to 0.5.0-beta4 from a prior install.
sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/chatty-0.5.0beta4+5+g8ae677d-1-aarch64.pkg.tar.zst . After recovering the chat history by stripping the x’s off of ~/.purple/chatty/db/chatty-history.db.xxxxxxx, things went back to normal.

Those apps are probably broken because Manjaro unfortunately ships phoc with a patch that updates wlroots to 0.15 and this seems to break the wayland backend for qt apps (which at least Telegram is and the other apps you mention too I think). That patch is not yet merged upstream, so Manjaro should drop that patch until it properly works. I reported this here. Easiest way to get around this for now is to downgrade phoc to phoc-0.11.0+28+gf4f80af-1. You could probably also edit the PKGBUILD and drop the patch yourself to get a most recent working version.

Just got the PinePhone Pro delivered and using Manjaro Phosh beta 21 (on internal storage) and though most of the experience is smooth, the lockscreen and app launcher (when scrolling) stutter quite badly when using a wallpaper that is as low a resolution as 640x960.

Also, I’m curious if you know of a way to switch to x11 on the device instead of Wayland?
I’d like to see if the stutter goes away in x11, also I would like to try to run the software ‘Synergy’, but it only works with x11.

I have the same Problem qt apps are simply unusable right now. Can you tell me, where you find the earlier package version of phoc. i do not have it in my local directory.

Thanks for your reply and the details. I hope this will get merged soon. I cant find the version on my phone, same as Planter. Not sure if there is another way to downgrade.

reported issues should been fixed via [manjaro-packages] [BoxIt] Memo (ARM)

2 Likes

Thank you Philip for the quick fix! :raised_hands:

There seems to be an incompatibility between this build and manjaro-arm-flasher. I use etcher to flash PHOSH on my SD card, and then use manjaro-arm-flasher from there to flash PLASMA updates to the eMMC. Below are the details I initially logged in the PLASMA thread; not the best place in hindsight.

EDIT: Applied a few updates today (including phoc/phosh) hoping it might help my issue, but manjaro-arm-flasher aborted with the same details when run from the terminal; including after a reboot and after reinstalling manjaro-arm-flasher (via pamac GUI).

Of you want to flash an image to the eMMC you may use gnome disks, which should work.

2 Likes

Thank you @philm, that worked very well!

First time I used Gnome Disks to “recover an image to disk”, and its “expand disk” after restore was super fast; much faster than KDE Partition Manager on my desktop.

1 Like

Is waydroid broken for anyone else? Trying to start it flushes dmesg with error messages.

I haven’t had a look at the logs for it yet, but I have found Waydroid fails to launch on the PinePhone Pro build of Manjaro Phosh edition Beta 21.

Same issue waydroid didn’t work

Updating like @vincentm also worked for me. Cheers. I noticed the phone wanted to suspend a number of times while the update was downloading/running in the terminal. I had to actively keep is awake. Perhaps suspend was the reason for the black screen.
One hick-up was mobile data. Although wifi was active/stable, the update from beta20 ate the mobile data contingent first.

Thanks for Manjaro ARM + Phosh – this is working really well on PinePhonePro! A few issues with audio+bluetooth but the experience is mostly awesome!

Wanted to leave a quick note for anyone trying to use this with T-Mobile. MMS might not work out of the box but you can set your APN in settings and then edit configuration data under ~/.mms using the info from T-Mobile’s BYOD Page – restart then MMS picks right up.

1 Like