Manjaro ARM Beta 11 with Plasma Mobile (PinePhone / PinePhone Pro)

After flashing this image and updating via pacman -Syu, the issue with Discover is fixed on my Pinephone CE. I will note that while updating via pacman with Beta 9 initially flashed will not make the issue with Discover be resolved.

MMS is still a no-go for Plasma + Spacebar?

I noticed there are instructions/hints for setting up MMS with Phosh.

Pretty sure you can just set up your providers MMS details in the Spacebar settings and it will work.

I notice the MMS size has a limit of 5K. I tried to set it to 0, hoping for “unlimited”. I regularly receive MMS messages larger than 5K… is there a work-around to increase this size above 5K?

Edit: Eh, never mind, it does receive a MMS message larger than 5K even if set for 5K.

My pinephone with Beta11 always keep loosing 4G Data and asking you to enter a password every time that tryes to reconnect, this bug is really anoying. Maybe has something to do with the migration to ModemManager?

Am I right that GPS does not work?
I do get location data when connected via wifi, but this is not GPS.

With trying: sudo mmcli -m 0 --location-enable-gps-nmea
I get: error: modem not enabled yet

So inserted a SIM card (to kind of enable modem), but then location is only via 3G,
since mobile data often fails as @paju1986 mentioned, location is currently not usable.

also:
hotspot does not seem to work under KDE plasma (while it does under Phosh).

when phone is in sleep mode, it will not wake up from emmc, only when its connected to a charger.

Do we have some kind of comparison chart on what is working with which OS combined with which user environment?

Installing Tow-Boot helped solving the sleep mode issue, now I am able to wake up the phone with a click onto the power button.

Music playback (via headphone jack) stutters a lot and is currently not usable.

Anyone a trick on how to solve this?

It feels like sleep mode is fighting with music player…

Which application are you using for music playback? Elisa (elisa-qtmm) works fine for me. Though my installation is upgraded many times, not a fresh Beta 11 install. And I am using a regular (non-pro) PinePhone.

Thanks for the info, I am using “vvave” since “Elisa” is not able to search and play files from SD card (my whole library is on a SD 400GB card)… I will try “Elisa” again, but need to figure out a symlinking route so it does not realize that the SD card is an external medium…

If you’re using a Pinephone Pro, then the constant stuttering on the Hi-Fi profile through the headphone jack may be solved by lowering the output volume.

I have to keep my output volume below ~60% on my PPP, otherwise music playback will stutter awfully.

Hopefully an update someday will actually solve more of the audio problems present on the PPP.

@brennana
Lovering the Volume to 50% solved the stuttering!!
Thank you very much for mentioning this workaroud :slight_smile:

Any news on GPS support (without wifi+mobile data) on Pinephonepro?
Any hacks/workarounds to make GPS run?

Location stays greyed out in Plasma mobile, thought I get location over wifi which is nice at home but not in the woods :joy:

I just saw on in the PostmarketOS wiki that GPS is working there (not sure if this is really true).

Mobian provides a guide that describes how to get GPS working on the Pinephone.

Since the PinePhone Pro has the same modem, it should theoretically work the same way as with the PinePhone.

However, there are a few commands(like apt) that need to be adapted to Manjaro. I have never followed these instructions myself, so I can’t say for sure if it works.

As far as I can see there’s only 1 apt command in that guide, and it’s just for installing gpsd. So you could just replace that with sudo pacman -S gpsd and follow the guide from there.

Just to add to @Strit comment. gpsd has a gpsd.service. Debian based systems will usually automatically enable/start the services when installing a package. You will most likely have to manually enable/start gpsd.service after installing gpsd.

[ray@pi4 home]$ sudo systemctl enable gpsd.service
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/gpsd.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/gpsd.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/gpsd.socket → /usr/lib/systemd/system/gpsd.socket.
1 Like

Thanks for the hints.

However, after installing gpsd I try to get info with:

sudo mmcli -m 0 --location-get

which throws the error:

error: modem not enabled yet

when typing:

sudo mmcli -m 0

I see:

Status   |                   state: failed
           |           failed reason: sim-missing

So I tried to enable the modem somehow:

sudo mmcli -m any -e

but getting:

error: couldn't enable the modem: 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error.Core.WrongState: modem in failed state'

Do I need to install custom kernel from megi?
and if yes, how would I do this…
…guess its a known issue.

Specs:
PinephonePro, ManjaroDev, Modem firmware 0.6.5

Is your SIM inserted and detected correctly?

no sim inserted.

I need to use the PinePhonePro without SIM since travelling all over the globe…
Looking for a script to enable modem even if there is no SIM.

Edit:

Just inserted an old, deactivated SIM and this does not throw a modem error… so I can start digging on GPS stuff with this workaround :slight_smile:

Yeah. As GPS is a modem feature, it needs a SIM inserted to function.