Manjaro ARM Alpha2 with Phosh (PinePhone)

Manjaro ARM Alpha2 of Phosh for PinePhone!

The Manjaro ARM project is proud to announce our second ALPHA release for the PinePhone running Phosh with lot of package changes!

This image are running the 5.7 kernel from gitlab.com/pine64-org/linux, which is designed for the PinePhone.

Features:

• Auto-Rotate function (deactivated by default)
  • Welcome wizard for easy setup of the device
  • Added flashlight application
  • Prime phone functions working, including resume from deep-sleep and free speaking
  • Recording of audio works
  • Most applications got added to scale-to-fit
  • Haptic feedback functions added
  • Optimized keyboard layout for terminal
  • Geary Mail-Client in mobile version added
  • Maps with working GPS
  • Volume buttons working
  • Sensors fully functional
  • Easy access to Bluetooth, Wlan, Rotate and Mobile functions via quick settings
  • Default branch is arm-unstable. This can be changed by editing /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf.
  • This image uses a Crust enabled uboot.

Currently broken:

• Camera worked during development cycle, currently gnome-camera doesn’t start

Known issues

• gnome-usage only works as root user. Open a terminal, switch to root and start it
  • rotation in landscape might hinder to unlock the device when locked too fast
  • it may take longer to wake up from deep-sleep mode when a call is incoming. Most of the time that call will vibrate only.
  • UI becomes unresponsive after a while.
  • Lots of apps are still missing or is not mobile friendly yet.

Download:

Device Phosh
PinePhone Alpha2

About the device:
PinePhone:
Perhaps you’re in a line of work where security is a must, or a hard-core Linux enthusiast, or perhaps you’ve just got enough of Android and iOS and you’re ready for something else – the PinePhone may be the next Phone for you. Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline Linux as well as anything else you’ll get it to run.

The purpose of the PinePhone isn’t only to deliver a functioning Linux phone to end-users, but also to actively create a market for such a device, as well as to support existing and well established Linux-on-Phone projects. All major Linux Phone-oriented projects, as well as other FOSS OS’, are represented on the PinePhone and developers work together on our platform to bring support this this community driven device.

How to install:

Download the image/xz file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn the to an SD card (8 GB or larger).

The PinePhone should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

The premade users are:
User: manjaro
Password: 123456

User: root
password: root

Donate!

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.

1 Like

Bugtracker

If you face issues with this editon, please open a new issue on our bug-tracker

Development Changelog

We will list our progress to Alpha3 here

• Alpha2 (2020-08-06) Download
  • Alpha2 (2020-08-07) Download
    • fix issue with pipewire to get gnome-camera working again
    • updated phoc, squeekboard and phosh
    • added patch to keep calls alive from suspending during a call
  • Alpha2 (2020-08-09) Download
    • added proper patch to keep calls alive from suspending during a call
    • updated chatty, epiphany, file-roller, fractal, lollypop, pamac-cli and systemd
  • Alpha2 (2020-08-19) Download
    • added anbox to run Android apps
    • updated phosh, systemd and other system packages
    • added nice-values for several apps to start faster
  • Alpha2 (2020-08-22) Download
    • fixed no audio until devices are swapped issue
    • updated chatty and other packages
7 Likes

Runs snappy and fast. But problem with incoming calls and dropped connection to the carrier with mobile data enable unchanged here.

O2 and 4G connection

Ya, we have to look into that. T-Mobile works fine, though.

VoLTE problem? IMO also O2 uses other frequency ranges (bands) than D1 or Vodafone ?

If I set the connection to 2G / 3G all works. But this is not sticky. After an reboot or deep sleep the setting changes back to 4G / 3G … And then the connection is broken again.

Is there something i need to do to enable automatic login, or is the feature implemented in gui only and disabled for now? It is greyed out and does not respond to click.

Alpha 2 is coming along very nicely. Seems to be the fastest and most stable pinephone build for my needs. Any chance a 3g/32gb uboot version will be made available for PMos CE CE devices? Also curiously, will you guys post any news or updates on the lomiri build? Anxiously awaiting that juicy looking combination of goodness.

1 Like

Same image should work on it, As I’ve not heard of any major changes to the hardware other than the the Ram and storage.

There is a development test image uploaded last night, can you test it on your convergence edition and share your feedback?

So do I have to keep the SD card in at all times? I can’t seem to get it to overwrite postmarket os.

I’m also having issues on the modem side. It’ll work for about 5 minutes, then it’ll drop off. Miles ahead from where it started, I’m over the moon right now. Is there a command I can send or something to reset the modem without restarting the phone?

Thank you for the response! The alpha 3 upload from 9-03 is booting and working pretty well on the 3gig device. I’ve had a few more lockups than usual, not really sure if its new alpha stuff or related to the memory situation. As soon as i narrow it down, Ill send info to the bug tracker.

1 Like

Should we avoid updating the system with pacman between releases? Also, if I’m on Alpha2 will a pacman -Syu take me to Alpha3 or do I need to install? Apologies if I should have started else where I heard about the Manjaro Pinephone project and this is where the Google searches lead.

1 Like

How do I get the interface language to change? I changed both /etc/locale.conf and switched the language settings in Phosh, and still, all is in English. There aren’t any separate localisation packages to install, are there?

For me the language changed by simply selecting it from the welcome wizard. But the changes are very small, like the text on lock screen etc. small snippets here and there.

So there is something broken here. If you run Mobian, Phosh is fully localized, if you run PostmarketOS, after installing the -lang packages, you also get a complete localisation, and of course, with GNOME on the desktop, you also do.

seems to be a bit wonky, for instance i selected finnish from the menu, but it resulted in sv_fi locale and ui being in swedish.