Manjaro ARM 21.02 released!

Thanks for the gnome image :slight_smile: I canā€™t seem to get it to boot into a graphical environment when building it with the installer (the arm profiles are updated) or when writing it to a sd-card and booting it.

The furthest I get with the build proces on to the eMMC (using a USB adapter) is a login prompt. The splash screen shows when booting and displayā€™s 3 dmesg errors:

[    1.798561] OF: graph: no port node found in /i2c@ff3d0000/fusb30x@22
[    2.469887] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: PCIe link training gen1 timeout!
[    2.943675] rockchip-dp ff970000.edp: no DP phy configured

Loging in from tty and running startx does not startx

Summary

X.Org X Server 1.20.10
4 ā”‚ X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
5 ā”‚ Build Operating System: Linux Arch Linux
6 ā”‚ Current Operating System: Linux pbpro 5.11.3-1-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP Thu Mar 4 12:03:53 UTC 2021 aarch64
7 ā”‚ Kernel command line: initrd=/initramfs-linux.img console=tty1 console=ttyS2,1500000 root=LABEL=ROOT_MNJRO rw rootwait quiet
ā”‚ splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles
8 ā”‚ Build Date: 16 December 2020 11:52:03PM
9 ā”‚
10 ā”‚ Current version of pixman: 0.40.0
11 ā”‚ Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
12 ā”‚ to make sure that you have the latest version.
13 ā”‚ Markers: (ā€“) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
14 ā”‚ (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
15 ā”‚ (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
16 ā”‚ (==) Log file: ā€œ/var/log/Xorg.0.logā€, Time: Sun Mar 7 12:39:19 2021
17 ā”‚ (==) Using config directory: ā€œ/etc/X11/xorg.conf.dā€
18 ā”‚ (==) Using system config directory ā€œ/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.dā€
19 ā”‚ (II) modeset(0): Initializing kms color map for depth 24, 8 bpc.
20 ā”‚ /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 52: xclock: command not found
21 ā”‚ /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 53: xterm: command not found
22 ā”‚ /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 55: exec: xterm: not found
23 ā”‚ /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 54: xterm: command not found
24 ā”‚ xinit: connection to X server lost
25 ā”‚
26 ā”‚ waiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

Error from the X log:
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)

After installing xf86-video-fbdev startx start a X session with 3 xterms running. so X works, I was starting to suspect the hardware.

The gdm service is also disabled by default resulting in the drop to console login.

Edit: I made a pull request to the github profiles (and learning how to do that in the first place :slight_smile: )

Hey, thanks for the feedback. What device are you using? The fbdev device driver is no longer the default for pine64 devices AFAIK. Those should just run fine with the Panfrost drivers in the recent kernelsā€¦

Regarding the gdm service issue: I left this out on purpose as enabling it in the prebuilt image will interfere with the first run installerā€¦ after this one runs through it will get enabled after reboot automatically. Not sure why itā€™s not working for you, but maybe thatā€™s also related to the graphic driver issueā€¦?!?

Iā€™m using a pinebook pro from late 2019, one of the first runs they did after the development versions.

That makes sense, I used the manjaro-arm-installer witch directly writes to the eMMC and it sets up the user and locale. There is no first run installer running when booting the first run.

Have you checked one of the prebuilt images for the GNOME profile available at GitHub? I usually give them a trial run from microSD before releasing them. On my Pinebook Pro the image from GH works fine w/o any changesā€¦

BTW: you can also use the ManjaroARM Flasher tool to write it to eMMC (have to boot from eMMC to be able to do so though).

Iā€™ll try that and report back, thanks so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

The prebuit image runs the first run installer resizes the SD and reboots to a crashed screen.

Iā€™ve tried to get into a TTY but no luck. After ~10 minutes a reset by holding the power button. Waited ~30 seconds and power on again. It boots and shows the splash screen. after a minute the dmesg errors and a prompt for maintenance and login (or ctrl-d to continue)

Ctrl-D gives the message that sulogin: Cannot read /dev/tty1: operation not permitted and brings back the prompt. logging in as root and choosing reboot returns me to a similar screen above but now I see the manjaro logo faintly smeared from top to bottom and after 20~ seconds to the screen in the picture above.

So it is not the image, it seems to be my specific pinebook that does not agree.

I was NOT able to test the GNOME version (the keyboard would freeze in the terminal after login).

I tested it on RPI4 4GB and 8GB.

For SWAY, I really donā€™t know how to use it, but Firefox has issue and shows blank window.

So i was browsing if i can enable wayland for vivaldi and got to the vivaldi forum topic here. So i just need to add ā€œā€“enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=waylandā€ to the executable, and will it work with manjaro distro? and how do i check if vivaldi running in wayland rather than xwayland?

edit:
vivaldi do run in wayland, i test it using xeyes. the iris isnā€™t moving when iā€™m on vivaldi. then i test it with firefox thatā€™s running in xwayland, xeyes iris is moving following cursor.

2 Likes

It seems this release has at least 2 issues on Khadas VIM2 Pro:

1. Uboot prints: ā€œcard did not respond to voltage selectā€, then it tries to detect filesystem on non-inserted uSD card. After some delay USB flash drive is being selected and Manjaro boots.
  2. No Wi-Fi adapter. Firmware load failed. Missing /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4359-sdio.khadas,vim2.txt . Copied this file from the previous release image and Wi-Fi came up.

@spikerguy That sounds like the firmware package needs to get this file. :wink:

2 Likes

The overall impression about Manjaro on Khadas VIM2 is good, especially comparing with OEM Ubuntu 2 years ago.
I switched Plasma to Wayland, Installed Kodi 19 Wayland and was able to smoothly play 1080p 30fps h264 video from NFS share.
No hardware video decoding in Kodi. MPV is able to use a hardware decoder, however, there are some issues.

Is Khadas Vim 3 21.02 image available for download? Donā€™t seems to be able to locate them.

I never got the ā€œgo-aheadā€ from @spikerguy to create them, so they still havenā€™t been created.
Iā€™ll remove them from the announcement post.

Thanks. Noted.

Give me an hour, preparing an image 21.03.

1 Like

I just tried your gnome rpi4 image and it runs great. When I try to setup manjaro minimal to run gnome in a wayland environment applications like firefox and glxgears experience graphical glitches that scrambles the apps gui making the gui elements unrecognizable and unusable. Did you run into this/do you have any suggestions on how to resolve this? I launch gnome from the tty with ā€œXDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session gnome-sessionā€ and I have the following environment variables in my .bash_profile but it still doesnā€™t have an effect on the apps.

export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland
export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1
export MOZ_WEBRENDER=1