Manjaro 20.1 Mikah got released

Thanks for the hardwork guys :robot:

2 Likes

Some here are overstatements. Manjaro KDE is not there to showcase kde software and its capabilities. It is there to provide maximum number of users easy to use and ready to work software on a plasma desktop. Your suggestions such as replacing firefox with falkon are completely illogical. As good as falkon is, it can’t compete with chrome or firefox as the sole browser in any system.

Also, some are just personal preferences. You prefer mpv but I prefer vlc. More people using manjaro for first time would find it easy to use vlc rather than mpv, while seasoned users can install what they want without wasting much time.

Some suggestions though are really good, particularly number 32, 31, 15, 6,27,34
Some I don’t agree with or find too much of a personal preference are 5,7,8,9,10,12,13,14,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25

3 Likes
  1. KDE Plasma default installation is missing QtWebengine based web browser, which is the default browser in KDE software compilation. Its called Falkon.
  2. Eveyone is using uBlock Origing. No reason not to include it by default.

Leo do you see when you made mistake?

I believe that default browser to be bundled should be firefox. Any additional browser is not required to be included.

That said, addons are a personal choice. Though I use ublock origin myself, I don’t think any addon should be included by default by a distro. Firefox itself provides tracking protection. It should be left on users to decide if they want anything beyond it. Maybe plasma-integration addon in kde should be an exception, if any

Boots perfectly fine on my two over 10 years old Desktop PC that only have Legacy BIOS. Both free and nonfree driver options for my Nvidia GPUs now load the live session perfectly fine. Previously i had to use nonfree option, always.

If you are talking about Live Session, then manjaro is what you are looking for. Was always the case in live session for user and password.

I just opened Pamac, refreshed database and installed Krita that is not included in live media. It works.

By the way, is Elisa
The release cicle of it didn’t make anyone 100% sure of it’s stability. Personally i’m not convinced. Did you know you are the second to mention it in the forum even tho you typed Elise ? :slight_smile: But nothing else, no talk about it, no review by forum members, just twice mentioned by name. Why would be the default?

There is a distinction between no firewall and missing security. Can you prove any security issues with Manjaro ?

I wear glasses and those fonts do not bother me at all. You can always use Ctrl+MouseScroll to change the size of the displayed text inside Konsole.

I can give you that, TTF is old indeed, but far from deprecated or obsolete. Will be still used for web design, mobile design and on desktop or mobile displays. What is correct about OpenType? If you work for print quality artwork, then yes OTF is superior.

I had no issues with it, and i don’t mind if SMPlayer will be made default. I like and use both of them.

We have systemd service

I prefer to install it from their site.

Go and tell that to KDE developers. They decided to be the default and we agree. People can have more space in the Panel, use global-menu for example …

I double dare you to remove Avahi …
There was an extensive discussion and explanations given about it in the archived forum, there are plenty of sources and documentation about it. Disabling the service is all that can be done.

Let us know how do you install uBlock Origin in Falkon. Or what would be the logic behind making them both defaults?

I find no patience nor interest to address any more time into this. Is exactly the oposite of what feedback is supposed to be to a release announcement, and is also way off of any constructive criticism.

22 Likes

I agree with you that the root password should be in shown in a very big and readable font at the ISO download page BEFORE the download button or at a different relevant place.

Not having root privileges by default is not a bad thing, could be annoying since not all applications use Polkit for requesting elevated permissions (Hi Dolphin).

Otherwise, for terminal-based applications use su at your own risk.

Unfortunately it’s the only Linux email client which is the most matured and still well maintained.

KMail gets barely updates nor new features. Most of its developers develop a new mail client, called Kube, but it is still not stable and barely usable when your mailbox is an Office 365/Google Apps/Whatever mailbox with custom domain.

Also KDE’s PIM runtime (especially its dependency akonadi) is pretty resource hungry and unstable. You’ll get mariadb running in the background 24/7 for gratis, even when you don’t need KMail for today. Beat me why they didn’t use SQLite or similar lightweight data stores. Or start akonadi and mariadb only when it is needed (like picking contact addresses).

Whoes last release is already 1 year and 4 months ago and compared with the popular browsers has a less rich featureset. There seems to be non-automated commits which fixes bugs, but beat me why they don’t release a new version.

Well that’s a valid privacy concern. Since kuserfeedback is still collecting data despite it is “Disabled”,

Unless you (or someone else) already tried, you need to target the source of the privacy problem. Thus address the issue at the KDE developers. If the request lands on deaf ears, I think it’s indeed time to resolve the problem at distro-level by compiling it without kuserfeedback or add a new XDG-AutoStart-entry which removes those privacy records at startup.

Otherwise you could also demotivate the spying KDE developers by sending garbage as feedback

On the contrariety even, Packages packaged as AppImages are barely bloatware. All batteries are included, the handling of the dependencies is the full responsibility of the packager/developer. No need to install extra dependencies or figure out what you’re missing. I guess you confuse it with Flatpak and Snap, which indeed could fill up the drive. Especially not fun when you’re using an SSD.
When I had an Ubuntu laptop at work, I often found myself in conflicts between the system updater and Snap because via one application I installed via Snap, required a new version of a Gnome library which is incompatible with the rest of the system but somehow the “container-layer” which Snap should provide wasn’t there. (But eh, Ubuntu…).
Also FireJail solves a different problem than what AppImage, Flatpak and Snap try to achieve. AppImage, Flatpak and Snap aren’t virtualisation/containerisation solutions.

For the rest, please refain from ad populum reasonings like “Everyone is using X” and “Not everyone has Y”.

Most of your problems just require some deep dive in how some subsystems of the Linux ecosystem work (like Lost+Found) and fiddling with the configuration. I bet you did that as well when you ran Windows :wink:

5 Likes

Kde connect cannot find my phone which had been working well on 20.1rc5

kernel is 5.8.8-arch-surface

Congratulations for the release, devs! When the new Architect ISO will be available? (Or can i download 20.1 with the old ISO?)

1 Like

Is not Architect embedded into KDE, Gnome, etc, isos?

1 Like

Oh, I forgot that. Thanks!

Setup KDE with the new ISO smoothly. The only issue is VirtualBox extension still cannot be installed from the app GUI. This problem has been existing since VirtualBox 6.1.10.

the best distro with KDE But I still have problems with bumblebee old Nvidia gpus

1 Like

Hi,
I read your comments with great interest. Since I’m a fairly new Linux user which distribution would you recommend that would be more in line with the points you made above?
Looking forward to your advice. :slightly_smiling_face:

For “pure” KDE, which seems to be @dontknow’s preference, I’d look at KDE Neon.

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Can anyone delete the pre files here: Downloading File /xfce - Manjaro Linux - OSDN

Why does this sound familiar?
https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=60475&sid=97db24456238d2270629c2b63e30baf5

5 Likes

At least in one I have to agree with @dontknow : Steam has no place here preinstalled, nor does this HP-manager. Well, it can be removed without any problems (just like snapd and flatpack), but is that necessary to clean the system after a new installation?) Minimal-ISO is no alternative for me.

People that think alike, talk alike, walk alike, write alike, without knowing what those that put together the ISO’s know.

There where a ton of Printing and Steam related topics in the archived forum for the simple fact that people did not know how to deal with them if they installed them, so, was only reasonable to be included by default. I don’t use any of them either, but i prefer uninstall than to deal with countless topics about them in here.

I’m not aware of any leftovers. Indeed some files/folders for configs remain in the $USER home directory, but we talk about a couple of KB, with no influence whatsoever on how the system continues to perform. If Linux was dealing with registry as Win$ does, then would be another story entirely. But is not the case.
Even MacOS keeps user configs in Library after a software uninstall/removal, unless is done trough appcleaner or similar software.

2 Likes

On the next release, I’m trying to get the hybrid netinstall going. This would let users choose at install time if they want features like

• snap/flatpak/wine
  • printer support
  • games (steam)
  • office suite
  • browser (chromium, Firefox etc)
  • password manager

Here is a prototype

16 Likes