Making manjaro use nonfree drivers by default

The moment NVIDIA drivers are dropped, I will be out of here and probably go back to a Debian based distro. But again, that’s a very unlikely scenario.

4 Likes

That seems good to me ans is in accordance with what Philm said. Can you send a merge request?

1 Like

1 minute ahead of you! https://gitlab.manjaro.org/artwork/branding/grub-theme/-/merge_requests/9

Tested on a new ISO build I made on an Nvidia Optimus :tm: laptop with a GTX 1660ti and an Intel iGPU

4 Likes

Is this really the case? That the kernel is removing support for GRUB? That would be surprising, did you read about this somewhere that you can share with everyone here?

The grub-theme-live-common package has not been updated yet, just FYI

Yes, everyone is busy. But new iso release is coming, so it will soon be. We are also in the process of redoing the theming for it.

EDIT: updated now

As well as grub. Every distro has its custom grub scripts, which are not a part of the bootloader itself.

That is not true.

Other points are valid, however one should remember that systemd-boot is made simple intentionally. It is just a minimalistic loader for UEFI systems, no more, no less.

And yep, Linux is not moving to it, that’s nonsense.

I think we might be talking about different things. Of course systemd-boot has always supported booting encrypted root. Last I checked, systemd-boot requires kernel and initcpio to reside on the efi partition. This means that /boot will necessarily be on unencrypted partition. Has this changed? If so I’m interested in hearing more.

Yes an no at the same time.
To boot, it needs those files that are necessary for that: kernel, initramfs. But these files could be either mirrored from encrypted boot or unified into a single image. To prevent tampering, such image and loader could be signed with Secure Boot certificate.

But there is very little of interest in /boot partition besides the kernel. Mirroring it from encrypted /boot partition seems to defeat the purpose of /boot encryption.

But, since encrypting that partition is not very productive in the first place, I conceed that this technicality counts :sweat_smile:

New user chipping in with an opinion.

Many people using Linux are using it for it’s higher confidence in lack of spying given by open source, and few to none blobs even in the more mainstream versions of the kernel as is the case here.
The nonfree drivers I see are only an issue with nvidia cards, so it would be logical to only have nonfree by default on nvidia only! (through a hardware detection mechanism)
Otherwise manjaro is in the danger of becoming the shill that is ubuntu…

I know that mainline Linux kernel favours systemd also, and it’s because of corporate backing and it’s political, but I am sure rEFInd and OpenRC from Parabola will get a lot of traction in the near future.
Guys, kep it as open source as possible! Don’t cave in to political lobby!

Yep. But that’s also true for, say, Manjaro’s grub efi located on $esp without encryption and Secure Boot signature. So anyone who has so-called “full disk encryption” is not that safe as he/she might think, and this brings us to the conclusion that such encryption is useless without bootloader and/or boot files being signed with a SB key in the first place.

This is why I mentioned “unified” images. It is a solution that makes sense to full disk encryption (with /boot files encrypted). It also prevents from attacker’s fiddling with cmdline options.

do people here seriously not read anything at all? I explained it like 30 times now that this is already how Manjaro works if you select nonfree drivers. What would the point of installing nvidia drivers on non NVIDIA hardware be? In this case you were actually on my side of the argument.

On my system by default was installed close drivers (video-linux) and i have sudden restarts , and when i close my pc one fan still works.
Now i had disabled and 5 days without restarts.

Your message is not relevant to the discussion and I suggest that you create a thread in #support instead.

Psst: see that auto install open source driver button? I suggest you press it.

Yes its done, it is a pity that non free drivers don’t boot and crash lightdm

see

A post was merged into an existing topic: Comparison of bootloaders

Great, another step backwards…

1. Now we are once again expecting people to know when to use proprietary drivers. We already know a lot of new users have no idea under which conditions proprietary drivers are necessary. (NVIDIA is the ONLY nonfree config)
  2. This (once again) implies this:

Which is a problem because people will give bad advice like “Don’t select proprietary if you have AMD”, even tho it doesn’t make any difference.

Calling this commit “better naming for drivers.” is just wrong.

3 Likes

Isn’t nouveau abandoned anyway? Open drivers for nvidia atm are bugged and non-efficient, so at least make a better description for what you are going into with free drivers.

1 Like