Makepkg -si not working for epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2

hello everyone,

i’am an arch beginner. i used to work with debian and its package management before.

now i’ve got the problem to install an epson printer driver for my ET-4750.

befor you say anything: i know! printers a living species to bother our lives and helps only, when they decide to do so.

but i want to know, how i can installing the package epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2.

i’ve tried with ‘sudo pacman -S epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2’. but pacman says it can’t find such package.

then i followed a description to build a package:
‘git clone ht://aur.archlinux.org/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2.git’
‘cd epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2’
‘makepkg -si’

and here i’ve got the error: pathto/PKGBUILD: Line 21: patch: command not found (occure an error in prepare())

why is that? i don’t understand why this is not working. what i need to do? and why i can’t install it with ‘sudo pacman -S epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2’?

i remember, in debian i need a package before i was able to do such things thats called “build-essential”. is there something like that in arch? miss i something?

i’am happy for any help! thanks!

To use the AUR, you need to have certain prerequisite programs installed.
patch is one of them

Install the package group “base-devel” - all of the packages in there.

1 Like

pacman cannot install from the AUR, use pamac instead:

pamac build epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2

Though the error suggests that there may be an issue with the PKGBUILD

because it is not yet built - when it is built the -i argument to makepkg is installing the pacage by calling

pacman -U epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2-$VERSION.pkg.tar.zst

build-essentials on Arch based distibutions is called base-devel

sudo pacman -Syu base-devel --needed

The Manjaro package manager Pamac (Add/Remove Software) will pull the necessary build packages when using the pamac build pkg command

For reference, see Arch User Repository - Manjaro

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.