Make /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf changes survive the update

Hello everyone, how are you? I created this topic because I am looking for how to persist modifications made to the /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf file.
Indeed I modify:

# show all name hints also for definitions without hint {} section
defaults.namehint.showall off
# show just basic name hints
defaults.namehint.basic on
# show extended name hints
defaults.namehint.extended off

to

defaults.namehint.showall on
defaults.namehint.extended on

The purpose of this manipulation is to activate/make available under DeadBeef and VLC (among others) the Alsa audio output: Direct hardware device without any conversions, to use it with my DAC.

The problem being, regularly after an update I have to re-modify these lines, nothing complicated, but that leads me to believe that this is not the standard procedure to achieve the expected result and that the modification of a other file that I don’t know about is the proper thing to do.

If anyone has an idea or knows what I’m doing wrong, please enlighten me.

In French

Bonjour tout le monde, comment allez-vous ? Je créé ce sujet car je cherche comment faire persister des modifications apportés au fichier /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf .

En effet je modifie :

defaults.namehint.showall off
defaults.namehint.extended off

Ă 

defaults.namehint.showall on
defaults.namehint.extended on

Le but de cette manipulation est d’activer/rendre disponible sous DeadBeef et VLC (entre autre) la sortie audio Alsa : Direct hardware device without any conversions , pour l’utiliser avec mon DAC.

Le problème étant ,régulièrement après une mise à jour je dois re-modifier ces lignes, rien de compliqué, mais ça qui me pousse à croire que ce n’est pas la procédure standard pour parvenir au résultat escompté et que la modification d’un autre fichier dont je n’ai pas connaissance est la chose propre à faire.

Si quelqu’un à une idée ou, sais ce que je fait mal, je en vous prie, éclairez moi de votre lanterne.

… you can override the behavior in your own configuration file, preferably the global one (/etc/asound.conf ).

– Advanced Linux Sound Architecture - ArchWiki

1 Like

You can’t. /usr isn’t meant to be edited by hand. You probably need to put the edited file somewhere in /etc.

Hello,

You can use ~/.asoundrc

and add to it just you required changes …

3 Likes

So if I understand correctly, I have to create a .asoundrc file in my /home/user/
in this file can I put only the lines that matter to me or I have to copy all the contents of file /user/share/alsa/alsa.conf?

I manage but there it is quite massive and complicated as a configuration, already that I spent an infinite time to find this output which was available and which I used when I was under Mint (and Debian derivative), there if I have to make myself a configuration file from scratch, it’s on another level.

Either way … You showed us 3 lines and two are modified, so i supposed that is all you need, but if is not so, then there is one alternative remaining, right?

1 Like

Yes! thank you very much for the help (and to the others too), creating this famous .asoundrc file in my /home with the two modified lines in it works perfectly! Finally, it’s done properly.

Thanks again to you and the others for helping me and teaching me things.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.