Main Hard Drive space being taken up by a partition on a separate drive

So I recently left windows and installed Manjaro. I have been a long time Linux user, but this is the first time I’ve been running it (besides MacOS) on my main desktop. I have run into a little bit of an issue that I can seam to be able to figure out.

I have 3 SSDs installed in my stems. The boot drive. A second drive a partition called Speed, and a third with a partition called Data.

I have both mapped to directories in my home folder, Speed and Data. Data appears to be taking up space on my boot drive.

lsblk:

NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda           8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk 
└─sda1        8:1    0 931.5G  0 part /home/daq/Data
nvme0n1     259:0    0   1.8T  0 disk 
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1    0    16M  0 part 
└─nvme0n1p2 259:2    0   1.8T  0 part /home/daq/Speed
nvme1n1     259:3    0 465.8G  0 disk 
├─nvme1n1p1 259:4    0   300M  0 part /boot/efi
├─nvme1n1p2 259:5    0 431.1G  0 part /
└─nvme1n1p3 259:6    0  34.4G  0 part [SWAP]

df -Th:

Filesystem     Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
dev            devtmpfs   16G     0   16G   0% /dev
run            tmpfs      16G  2.1M   16G   1% /run
efivarfs       efivarfs  128K   48K   76K  39% /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
/dev/nvme1n1p2 ext4      424G  340G   63G  85% /
tmpfs          tmpfs      16G  104M   16G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs          tmpfs      16G  7.0M   16G   1% /tmp
/dev/nvme1n1p1 vfat      300M  296K  300M   1% /boot/efi
/dev/nvme0n1p2 fuseblk   1.9T  1.4T  490G  74% /home/daq/Speed
tmpfs          tmpfs     3.2G  104K  3.2G   1% /run/user/1000
/dev/sda1      btrfs     932G  251G  681G  27% /home/daq/Data

As far as I can tell. I have both Speed and data configured with the same flags. But Data shows as using space on /home/daq/Data, while speed does not.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

If you mount them on home they will and as you have no separate home not sure how you tell. Any way external drives should be mounted /run/media/“name”/data etc and then use symlink to place it in home.
Note
/run/media/ disappears after a turn off or restart so you must use fstab or a systemd service to use it.

I don’t have them mounted to /home/daq. I have them mounted to /home/daq/Speed & /home/daq/Data.

I know that drives are usually mounted in /rum/media, but I didn’t want to mount them there to make it easier to find the driver when finding the drives in a wine environment.

I just noticed that the original screen shot was showing the wrong data. I tired to updated the screenshot with the correct image but was unable.

Well Mine all appear in home as they are all symlinked and are controlled by systemd so never disappear.

But that doesn’t explain why I have one drive that the system thinks is taking up space in /home/daq. I don’t think changing the mount location will fix that.

I have no experience but have read that the “normal” tools are inaccurate when BTRFS is involved.

Can’t you unmount it to see how much on the drive is really used?

1 Like

When unmounted the space taken up by the drive goes away. I was wondering if the drive being formatted at BTRFS had anything to do with it.

Yes, it does. With btrfs, you have to use the btrfs commands, such as… :point_down:

btrfs filesystem df -h

See the man page… :point_down:

man btrfs-filesystem
1 Like

Only by some software and people who copy said software. AFAIK most still choose more sensible (permanent) mount points.

2 Likes