Hello everyone, i’m experiencing a weird bug on my laptop, and I can’t seem to find any help about it on the internet nor any clear path to follow.
Maybe someone here has seen a problem like this and can help ? I’d be glad.
Relevant system config
System : Manjaro Gnome
Laptop : Asus GL502VS-FY299
GPU : Nvidia GTX 1070
GPU Driver : Nvidia 455
What happens ?
Sometimes, at boot, a screen glitch appears.
Magenta lines overlay on the bottom of the screen for one on and off and “crawl” up before coming down and crawling up again.
It happens at the login screen, and persists after logging in.
YouTube video of the glitch here
How to fix it ?
- Plugging a HDMI external monitor in and out until it’s gone (not optimal on the go)
- Plugging a HDMI to VGA adapter in and out until it’s gone (the same as always)
systemctl(not reliable, the glitch can reappear when the display manager kicks back in)
What was tried ?
- Restarting, problem still appears
- Using nouveau driver, not viable because of performance in games
- Using Manjaro KDE, problem still appears
- Using Ubuntu, problem still appears
I think that this problem may be linked to the procedure going on when screens are connected, this is why plugging something in/out sometimes solves the problem. Where and why, I don’t know.
The HDMI to VGA adapter works because it’s an active adapter, thus is treated the same regardless of the presence of a display at the other end or not.
edit : changed youtube link to non-clickable as suggested