Machines with AMD CPUs Ryzen 5 1600 and Ryzen 7 1700 crash regularly

I have some good news.
I verified that the issue happens with Firefox and Falkon the same as with ungoogled-chromium binary.
Then I build the AUR package https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ungoogled-chromium using following compile flags:

CFLAGS="-march=native -mtune=native -O3 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -fno-plt"

After a long day of heavy browser based work no crashes so far.
:fist:

1 Like

After a lot of thesting and still some freezes and reboots I decided to set the CPU governor to powersave.
sudo cpupower frequency-set -g powersave

Maybe you could test on kernel 5.17 the new AMD P-State thing?

I’m on 5.17 already, even compiled with -march=native

@eugen-b just to make sure, back to my post above: If you have an early stepping CPU, would you run GitHub - Oxalin/ryzen-test: Tools to reproduce randomly crashing processes under load on AMD Ryzen processors on Linux ? It had worked for me back then on an Ubuntu Live CD. “Worked” meaning the compilation segfaulted and hence successfully verifying that my CPU is affected by the bug. My motherboard BIOS must’ve been running AGESA 1006 at the time.

I must add Firefox hasn’t “officially” crashed on me since 2021 (last recorded). But I’ve witnessed a couple content/tab processes become zombies: enter URL and nothing happens at all, frozen. So using fresh Firefox to determine the flurry of crash messages may no longer be feasible. Yet ryzen-test must work.

1 Like

Thanks, will try to reproduce with ryzen-test.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

sudo cpupower frequency-set --max 1500000
for 1.5GHz worked as a workaround in the end.

2 Likes