LXQt - unofficial - minimal Norse root

I couldn’t resist the urge to revisit the LXQt ISO after the announcement of the official LXQt 1.0 a couple of days ago.

As an experiment - with an opinion - I have stripped the ISO profile down using only the free drivers and I have removed most applications leaving only Firefox as the webbrowser. I have been trying to create a functional ISO with the minimal required packages - do not think of this as minimal or slim og lightweight as being low on memory - it is the number of packages I have cut down upon.

firewalld is default enabled - that is one service I have opted to default activate.

I just checked on a 2016 Acer laptop Celeron N3350 with 4GB RAM - htop says around 450MB :man_shrugging: that’s how it is.

Only the free drivers is included and there is no grub item for booting non-free. IF you need nvidia driver - please use mhwd after you successfully installed this system.

Live screenshots

Multiple screenshots

11 Likes

Looks good. I’m going to follow your guide on Manjaro-to-go, but I want to do it for LXQt. Would that be possible?

yes - sure.,

Package list

I have tweaked the settings - they don’t match any packages - you will have to manually tweak the settings - to match the ISO - unless you are among the select few which can install from ISO to USB :slight_smile:

The easy way is to simply copy the folder /etc/skel from the ISO to your installaton /etc/skel

3 Likes

Cool, thanks! Want to try it this week somewhere.

@linux-aarhus I’m downloading your setup and will play around with it some. Thank you for doing the respin. Is there anywhere I should provide feedback (assuming you want/need some…). :wink:

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

It installed nicely, runs quite quickly (is fast). It seems to use a bit more memory (200MB) than the version I installed from unstable on my xfce desktop. Perhaps memory difference is due to the difference of using LXQT with openbox. Anyway, it is very nice.

1 Like

Possibly - I have no preferences - I was just trying to create the most minimal functional combo I could think of - the minimal is not memory wise - it is the number of packages I have cut down upon.

firewalld is default enabled - that is one service I have opted to default activate.

I just checked on a 5y old Acer laptop Celeron N3350 with 4GB RAM - htop says around 450MB :man_shrugging: that’s probably how it is.

The whole memory things get to be a weird discussion no matter what. My machine has 24GB of RAM and uses a gen 10 intel i5 but is running your LXQT off of a USB.

I’m pretty certain when I installed LXQT on that machine (co-resident with manjaor xfce4), I used KWIN not OB.

In truth though, none of this detracts from your excellent effort.

Hello, can you please post a screenshot of the starter menu? Looks good. Want to have it as my daily driver :blush:

Looks nice. I cant wait for Lxqt 1.0 to make it to stable.

Added screenshot of launcher - per request.

Please do remind - this is not official by any measure.

Only the free drivers is included and there is no grub item for booting non-free.

IF you need nvidia driver - please use mhwd after you successfully installed this system.

Just gave it a whirl never tried lxqt before only lxde. It’s nice, still getting used to it as I’ve pretty much been using gtk desktops ever since switching to Linux.

More spins the better for me

With the negative traction Gnome has these days - I do think LXQt will gain more attention over time.

4 Likes

I am very happy to see lxqt is still in development, I have always really appreciated this DE, simple sober but very effective and solid
Thanks for sharing your iso I installed on gnome-boxes

1 Like

Awesome… This need to be official ! smooth, light and better than Gnome :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

obsolete