LUKS encrypted install fails to boot (grub) after update

Two days ago I updated my (dual boot Manjaro/Win10 with grub) which went a bit funny. I got some “package xxx in local is newer than extra” warnings, that I managed to reverse by changing mirrors and multiple pacman -Sy(y)u(u) commands. So all seemed fine…

Today I am booted up my laptop again and whereas Win10 boots fine (same physical drive, different partition), booting Linux seems not exactly okay. Link to photo of boot screen:
https://limhes.stackstorage.com/s/Mq1wFAx6FUevSXzx

Then I log in, run journalctl -xb and scroll down to where I think things start going awry:
Unknown kernel command line parameters "BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64 cryptdevice=UUID=(long hexadecimals...)", will be passed to user space.

(All terminal text can contain typos, since I copied it by hand.)

Then I quite some bios errors, even a message saying ccp (...): unable to access the device: you might be running a broken BIOS. Are these serious errors? They sure sound grave. Or can these be the result of something else?

So far, only warnings (bold text).

Then I see the first red text appearing, about clocksource:
timekeeping watchdog on CPU4: Marking clocksource 'tsc' as unstable because the skew is too large etc. etc. Then TSC found unstable after boot, most likely due to broken BIOS. Use 'tsc=unstable'.
Then some warnings regarding cryptsetup and lvm about un-initialized urandom reads.

Then everything seems to be going fine, but then some more red text:
systemd-modules-load[420]: Failed to find module xxx where xxx = crypto_user, sg, vbox…, uinput, …

What’s going on here??? I can see my whole hard drive using ls, so all data is there.

Moderation note: Edited the link so nobody has to remove spaces after each letter …

Are you using AMD Ryzen laptop?

I am not sure, if it fits some bug: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=202525

Hi, yes, apparently so. It is an HP Elitebook 845 G8 (AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 5850U).

Do you think this might cause my system not to boot? Or is there something else going on? This seems to be an old bug. So why should this suddenly become an issue after an update?

It looks like the kernel parameters are not correct.
Check /etc/default/grub

Thanks for your answer. How do I diagnose correct/incorrect kernel parameters in /etc/default/grub? I had a look, but don’t see the BOOT_IMAGE=… parameter in there.

What about not being able to mount /boot/efi? Would that be a result of the first? Because when I log in and try to mount /boot/efi, it gives me an error that the vfat module is not loaded. Trying to load it with modprobe says that the module cannot be found…

Ah, your photo shows that you have the issue of mount when using snapd, that looks like snapd broke your system.

You can check if it has the same issue in reddit.

I would recommend to remove snapd

I removed snapd and all the first mount errors disappear. However, /boot/efi still cannot mount, which I think is the real issue.

See image here: h t t p s : / / limhes. stackstorage. com/s/wvsZHipLgOkKcLPS

Check what is the output lsblk -f ?

It is FAT32

Somehow the kernel has no VFAT support, or…? I don’t get it. How did this suddenly disappear?

Try to reinstall linux515

pacman -S linux515

I will give that a try…

Edit: I have issues going online from the commandline with no ethernet port on my laptop.

What I did see though, is that pacman wants to install kernel 5.15.60, whereas grub references 5.15.55. Could this be the source of the issues? Could it be that the kernel got upgraded but that grub did not get updated? If so, is there a safe command that I can run that updates the grub config (offline…)?

I.e., can I just run update-grub and/or grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg?

Both are same, better use grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I think the Linux Kernel is broken.
You need Manjaro Live USB to fix some issue via manjaro-chroot.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your help! I will try it once I have more time, and will let you know how it went.

Edit: I foresaw too much work chrooting and fixing. Ended up reinstalling Manjaro and I have my system up and running again. Luckily I have a good backup strategy and do most of my work in the browser.

Please use this as a guide to share links.

1 Like