LTS or Stable Kernel?

I’m new to Linux and don’t know much about kernel versions; Like “Stable”, “LTS”. I have read about this and I think I have an idea about the stable kernel releases that always have latest features and performance improvements, and LTS releases for long term support

But the question is: The LTS will I always receive security updates and other bug fixes as well as hardware support improvements and performance improvements? As in the stable version Kernel, I will always have the latest features and performance improvements!

No, the LTS kernels continue receiving bug fixes and security fixes, but they are feature-frozen, which means that support for newer hardware introduced after the initial release of the LTS kernel version will not be added. The same is true for other new enhancements and technologies, e.g. support for new filesystems or new kernel features. Those are not backported to an LTS kernel.

The Stable kernel is the latest kernel from Linus Torvalds & friends. It will also receive bug fixes and security patches during its lifetime, but said lifetime is a lot shorter than that of an LTS kernel.

The Experimental kernel is the one that new hardware support and new features keep on being added to, up until it becomes the next Stable kernel.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.