Low resolution of the login screen in Linux 5.7 and 5.8

Hi everyone,

I have a little problem not that important but a little annoying.
And I’m asking more with the intent to learn how things are tied together…

I’m using i3wm and I switched to the 5.8 kernel (and previously to 5.7).
But now when the computer boots up I’m ending with a very low login screen resolution (maybe 640x480).
But once I’m logged in, the resolution switch back to the original FHD (1920x1080) resolution of my screen/monitors.
Though, the default Manjaro Wallpaper stays at the low resolution of the login screen and become repeated in a tiled fashion.
So the problem is very limited, fortunately.

I’m not sure which flavor of Manjaro I installed initially a couple of years ago but I remember I tried cinnamon, xfce and i3. But since the default wallpaper says “Manjaro Cinnamon” I guess it was cinnamon.
I’m saying that because in the login screen I have the choice to choose the DM between all of them, so I guess in one point I had to install the others.
And the problem is occurring with everyone of them.
Well, I think that this is expected since it happens at the login screen before the chosen DM starts.

When I select in the grub menu the 5.4 or 5.6 kernel, this problem doesn’t appear.
It appears only with 5.7 and 5.8.

Now I wanted to know, what is the piece of software (grub, X11, xorg, the DM, the kernel, etc.) which is responsible of the resolution before the DM starts?
Where I can fix that issue?

I’m a little confused about how the DM (or WM for i3) and the graphic server (X11 or wayland, not sure which one I have) are tied together.
If you have some lectures about this subject, I’ll be happy to learn more.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

I am curious as well. Can you run

systemctl

?

and paste the output here.

Ok, what first come to my mind, is that you run this OS in a VirtualBox ? Because Virtualbox needs the guest package to use graphics properly and even if you have the package, VirtualBox’s new graphics stack cannot handle Wayland very well. So if you had GDM as a login manager that turned in Wayland and then logged in i3wm then you started X11 server that runs with higher resolution on the newer VirtualBox graphics.

But that is my guess, there could be 100th more problems that could cause this.

That is a very good possibility. My mind immediately hopped to fighting DM services lol

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

You could try the following… Edit your /etc/default/grub file and look for the line that says…

GRUB_GFXMODE=auto

Change that to… :arrow_down:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080x32

Then run…

sudo update-grub

You should now have high resolution at the GRUB screen. :wink:

Hi,
I’m not sure how it will display here since it has quite some lines…
Here is the output https://pastebin.com/raw/dLfXhFWE

Hi,
Nope, it’s native.
But I also have a Windows partition on that laptop.

But when I’m switching the kernel version in grub at the startup, it occurs only for 5.7 and 5.8, not for 5.4 and 5.6

Hi,
Indeed, I always noticed that the grub menu was in low resolution, but I never put attention because once the system is started I always had the native resolution (ie. FHD).
Unless in the login screen from 5.7 and 5.8.

However,

Indeed, this worked. And also fixed the background tiling problem.
It also puts the grub menu in FHD which is good (even if the text might be a little small now).

Anyway thank you very much.

Edit:

Thank you very much :grin:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.