Lost game performance after Nvidia Driver update

I updated my laptop to Nvidia driver version 495.44 using mhwd and since have been having worse performance in games then I had before the update. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver in tty2 but I’m still having the problem. I was told to purge everything nvidia before reinstalling, but I’m not sure that I did. To uninstall I used “Sudo mhwd --remove pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime” and reinstalled using “sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300”. I’m relatively new to linux, but concider myself pretty tech savy. I’m just not sure where to start troubleshooting.

One thing I learned from troubleshooting nvidia/game performance as a whole (Specially if you use something like Wine/Proton) is to check the in-game FPS. If you notice the game is reporting a higher FPS than what you feel like you are experiencing, try to disable the DE’s compositing functions (If at all possible).

It’s possible your Graphics drivers work fine but something is stunting the fps.

We provide driver series for nvidia.
It is not up to us which cards or supported by which driver, or how well.
What manjaro does do to be helpful is keep legacy version available for a time. Like 390 and 470.
If you have a better experience with the 470 series, then use that.
Or pay nvidia again … every 2-3 years or so … for a new card. Then you can use the latest drivers.
(maybe not too brand new because they wont have released good drivers for it yet either)