Long Boot Time (Hangs On Kernel)

This has been a longtime issue and I am just addressing this now, I’ve not only had this problem with Manjaro but also on CentOS 7 and Ubuntu 20.04. I have cut the boot time from ~2 1/2 minutes to ~1 minute by boot options. I believe I’ve isolated the problem to drives however I am stuck and cannot seem to find a way to improve past here. I will attach the dmesg output, systemd-analyze critical-chain & lspci

Any help with this would be great.

For reference, this is my grub config

I noticed the error that seems to be causing it to hang for so long is the following:

[   16.799059] ata3.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
[   16.799074] ata3.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
[   16.799078] ata3: limiting SATA link speed to 3.0 Gbps
[   17.112827] ata3: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 320)
[   17.438999] ata4.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
[   17.652113] ata1.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
[   17.938763] ata4.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
[   17.938768] ata4: limiting SATA link speed to 3.0 Gbps
[   18.152314] ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
[   18.152318] ata1: limiting SATA link speed to 3.0 Gbps

Welcome to the forum!

You’ve got several I/O errors on your drive. That tells me your drive is dying. :man_shrugging:

Better make backups of all your important data now, before it’s too late. :thinking:

Thanks for the welcome! I can assure you that the drives are not failing as they’ve all recently had Good SMART Tests on a Windows install, I forgot to mention I am using a PCIe RAID card for most of my drives which are setup in RAID 0 with NTFS partitions. (It’s literally just Games and data I don’t really care if I lost) Is it possible this RAID controller is causing issues?
Here is the specific Card I bought: IOCrest SI-PEX40057 4 Port SATA III PCIe 2.0 x2 HyperDuo Raid Controller Card
You can also See it in the lspci: 04:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9230 PCIe 2.0 x2 4-port SATA 6 Gb/s RAID Controller (rev 11)

That is also possible, yes. And if it is indeed a PCIe card, then perhaps it would be a good idea to check whether it’s properly seated in the PCIe slot.

Also make sure you check the SATA connectors. Intermittent contact can certainly cause such errors.

Just found an obscure Bug report for the Marvell Chip on the RAID card, Looks like this is a known bug since 2014 that was never properly addressed! I think I will just replace the raid card with something that is known to play nice with the linux kernel!

FYI: It’s the Marvell 88SE9320, Seems to be common issue with several Marvell Chips…

1 Like

For what it’s worth, Linux Software RAID is also excellent, but for that you have to disable the RAID functionality of the adapter card and put the drive setup in the UEFI firmware to AHCI.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.